Notices

New NA "Chip Chick" Question

Old 07-31-2005, 09:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
NA Rocks!

New NA "Chip Chick" Question

Hey NA Family!

I've been going to NA meetings regularly now for two months and it has changed my life! I'm so grateful to the members of this board, too, for all your help through my recovery.

I have a question for the wise NA folks here. I recently volunteered to be our home meeting's "chip chick" and will be handing out the keychains and chips at every meeting. Could you give me a little outline of the jist of what I should say when I give them out?

Thanks in advance!

T4C
Old 07-31-2005, 09:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Well I don't consider myself wise at all but what we do at our home group is that we have them stand up to give them a hug when we present the chip too them, and we say "How did you do it?". They usually pass it around so all of us can put a little vodo on it other than that I have no clue LOL. I don't know if there is a specific rule, cause we have no rules.

Love Vic
Old 07-31-2005, 09:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
NA Rocks!

Originally Posted by luckyv2
... and we say "How did you do it?". They usually pass it around so all of us can put a little ****** on it ...
Ooh, Vic! I LOVE THAT! What a great idea! I love the idea of passing it around and everyone giving it a little "mojo" or something! That's awesome! We have a pretty big group in the evenings (maybe 30 to 40 at times) and there are always birthdays, whether it be the 24 hours or 9 years! But when I first stand up, I don't know what I'm supposed to say exactly. Then, when I pull out each chip, do I say "Anyone here with 60 days sobriety?" (for example), then give them a hug and give them the chip, and have them say their name, right?

Thanks for your help, Sweetie! Great ideas!
Old 07-31-2005, 09:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

usually we ask or who ever is chairing ask if there is any NA birthdays that like to be recognized at this time, that is our first clue as to who has a B-day and yes you can give them there chip like you said and you can have them introduce themselves if you like, there are no rules. Your totally awesome now you need to answer me a question LOL Where should lucky and I move LOL that is not fair OK chow

Love Vic
Old 08-01-2005, 03:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

T4C,
At my homegroup we have a format that the cleantime/phonelist person follows.

We ask if this is anyone's first NA meeting? If so, we have them introduce themselves, we give them a white keytag, and a hug. Their name goes onto a local meeting list, and we pass it around and everyone puts their phone number on it.

Then, if it is anyone's first time at THIS meeting? They get a phonelist.

Then we say: "At the (insert group name here) we celebrate cleantime. Is anyone celebrating...and call out each keytag starting at multiple years then going down. When we get to the white keytag we say "And the most important person, is anyone here celbrating 24 hours or less, or coming back from a relapse"

I think it is just easier and more organized to work from a typed format that is put together by the group.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
NA Rocks!

Vic and NAmommy, thanks so much for your responses! That's exactly what I was looking for. And NAmom, the format outline you wrote sounds perfect. I'll try it and let you know how it went, k?

Vic, you're too funny! How do you feel about sunny CA?
Old 08-01-2005, 04:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

oooh thats cool Laurie.. Up here we start wit teh white chip and work up.

usually there isn expression taht goes with each color chip..orange you glad your here for 30 days, 50 days is green for go, ( go to meetings go get a sponsor..) and so forth..

I persobnally like the duck tape gray stick and stay 18 month chip it's the same color as the gray bars so state and federal time count. lol
Old 08-01-2005, 05:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

We have some people that shout out a few of the expressions if they are in the mood, but I don't know all of them.

We have one very energetic guy who yells out each time "GET A HUG!!"

Clean time countdowns can be fun.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Chip Chick....

Not every group has the exact same customs.
You should be asking this question of your home group members, especially the last 'chip person' or the group Chairperson/Secretary.

Of course you can't go wrong with this...

In NA we have a system of noting clean time with keytags.

White key tag..
We have a welcome key tag
Is anyone at their first NA meeting?, this is for you. Please come up and get one.

Orange key tag
We have a keytag for 30 days clean. Did anyone reach 30 days clean this past week?

Green
We have a keytag for 60 days clean. Did anyone reach 60 days clean this past week?

Red
We have a keytag for 90 days clean. Did anyone reach 90 days clean this past week?

Blue
We have a keytag for 6 months clean. Did anyone reach 6 months clean this past week?

Yellow
We have a keytag for 9 months clean. Did anyone reach 9 months clean this past week?

Day-Glo
We have a keytag for 1 year clean. Did anyone reach 1 year clean this past week?

Gray
We have a keytag for 18 months clean. Did anyone reach 18 months clean this past week?

Black
We have a keytag for multiple years clean. Did anyone reach 2 or more years clean this past week?
Old 08-02-2005, 06:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dan

I'm usually in the room down the hall...
But the NA meetings I do attend all have this in common at chip time...

When going through the sequence, after giving a brief description of each tag, the person asks, for example: 'Anyone clean and serene for sixty days?'
Old 08-02-2005, 10:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
NA Rocks!

Gooch, Recoveree and Dangerous Dan ... thanks so very much for your help! The more info the better. I'm looking forward to getting more involved with my group, and this is my baby step.

I had never heard or seen anyone pass around the chip for the other members to say a little prayer with until hearing it here. Then, coincidentally, last night we had a member reach his 6-year birthday so he got the fancy silver (I think it was) chip. They passed it around and everyone marvelled at it and some clutched it to their chest and closed their eyes and said a quick prayer. I almost cried! It was really heart-warming, and I'm so excited to make that a regular thing. We even had chocolate cake, too!

Again, I really appreciate all the advice, Family. You're all very special!
Old 08-02-2005, 03:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
When going through the sequence, after giving a brief description of each tag, the person asks, for example: 'Anyone clean and serene for sixty days?'

Some will add "If not, keep coming back you'll get it!"

One day I heard it and went "ohhhhh . I get it"
Old 08-02-2005, 03:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
NA Rocks!

Hey Gooch! Just so happens I'm picking up my 60-day keychain at my meeting tonight! Woo-hoo! Thought it was a neat coincidence that you happened to bring that quote up in your post.

God is workin' .... He's workin', my friends.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on 60 days.

We only pass around the medallions for annual anniversaries. When someone celebrates an annual anniversary, the homegroup usually gets them a medallion. That person usually speaks at their homegroup the meeting following their actual anniversary. Another homegroup member presents them with their medallion and they open it up (we are a little superstitious about the person who is celebrating opens the plastic wrapper) and pass it around the room for everyone to pray over. It's pretty cool. (sometimes we have to track it down because someone doesn't understand what they are supposed to do and they don't pass it on. lol).

There are about as many different ways to celebrate clean time as there are addicts and groups.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

In my area it goes something like this....

White Keytag- Universal sign of surrender...does anyone have 24hrs. clean or the desire to stop using?

Orange Keytag- Orange you glad you're here?...30 days

Green Keytag- Green and growing...60 days

Red Keytag- A little blood back in your dopestream....90 days

Blue Keytag- The skies the limit...6 months

Yellow Keytag- Urine the program...9 months

Glow in the dark Keytag- Glows in the dark so your sponsor can find you...1 yr.

Gray Keytag - Gray area...18 months

Those are just some of the little sayings I've heard over the years. You'll do just fine with your new service position no matter how you do it. The important thing is that you are willing to be of service to others which in turn helps your own program. Good Luck!
Old 08-04-2005, 07:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Red Keytag- A little blood back in your dopestream....90 days

oooh I love that one!

We do Blue - 60 days. same color as teh Basic text.. you better be reading it by now.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
NA Rocks!

NA_Wonder, those are GREAT! Thanks so much! Our meeting always argues about one of the keytags being cobalt??? What color is cobalt anyway? LOL!

Hey Gooch! Yes, sir! You bet I'm reading the text. And lovin' it! (My favorite parts to read are the other addicts' stories of recovery.) I'm halfway through Step One right now, using the green/gold book and workbook.

I got my green keytag Tuesday night! *****!

Ooh! I just thought of something! Our group laughs about the 18-month keychain being the "whiner tag" because they didn't used to have one. But folks who were halfway through their second year of recovery complained that they didn't want to wait until a full 2 years.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The WSO needed some extra income. Don't get me started on the gray one.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
NA Rocks!

Originally Posted by namommy
Hee-hee! Hiya Mom! You can't say that and then go away! Do tell, do tell!
Old 08-04-2005, 11:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

Originally Posted by namommy
my sponsor calls it "the resentment" key tag b/c it spark quite a few resentments...

a few of the "hardcore NA nazi five and dime" meetings around here don't use it at all.