Notices

May 24th Risking vulnerability

Old 05-23-2005, 08:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

May 24th Risking vulnerability

"As we grow, we learn to overcome the tendency to run and hide from ourselves and our feelings."

Basic Text, p. 81

Rather than risk vulnerability, many of us have developed habits that keep others at a safe distance. These patterns of emotional isolation can give us the feeling we are hopelessly locked behind our masks. We used to take risks with our lives; now we can take risks with our feelings. Through sharing with other addicts, we learn that we are not unique; we do not make ourselves unduly vulnerable simply by letting others know who we are, for we are in good company. And by working the Twelve Steps of the NA program, we grow and change. We no longer want or need to hide our emerging selves. We are offered the opportunity to shed the emotional camouflage we developed to survive our active addiction.

By opening ourselves to others, we risk becoming vulnerable, but that risk is well worth the rewards. With the help of our sponsor and other recovering addicts, we learn how to express our feelings honestly and openly. In turn, we become nourished and encouraged by the unconditional love of our companions. As we practice spiritual principles, we find strength and freedom, both in ourselves and in those around us. We are set free to be ourselves and to enjoy the company of our fellow addicts.

Just for today: I will openly and honestly share with another recovering addict. I will risk becoming vulnerable and celebrate my self and my friendship with other NA members. I will grow.

pg. 150

Just For Today Daily Meditation is the property of Narcotics Anonymous©
Old 05-23-2005, 08:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Today I will open myself up to another recovering addict with openness and honesty.

Today May 24, 2005.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Greatful Sober Biker

Hi Gooch, I remember the first time i became willing to get honest and opened up to people and i was sure they would make fun of me but i was wrong thatt was the begining for me to stay clean.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
doing the inside job

you would think after I've done the 5th, 3 times already
I would get use to it.
Funni..how that is, I risk verything when I pump chemicals into
my system ,but I would have a hell of time when it come to love.