Suboxone vs Naltrexone

Old 05-10-2005, 03:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Suboxone vs Naltrexone

I would like someone to share the difference between a hydrocodone addict in rehab taking Suboxone vs Naltrexone......any thoughts and or comments?
My ABF went through detox, and was given Naltrexone. I have not read anything about it here, and seem to only find those who have had Suboxone.
Is there a difference? Feelings, emotional, sleep or disturbances?
Anyone that can help, please give us direction. He is going back to the dr. next week, he has had a relapse.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Hey, mendingheart! Naltrexone is a narcotic ANTagonist, which means it blocks the effects of opioids such as hydrocodone. It also helps with cravings. I have been on naltrexone for a couple of years now and I believe it helps and I found side effects to be minimal at the 50mg dose.

Suboxone, on the other hand, is kind of complicated to explain, because it is a combination drug, but the main ingredient is buprenorphine (brand name Subutex), which, rather than blocking opioids, acts as a substitute. The logic is similar to that behind using methadone.

Suboxone is useful for preventing withdrawal symptoms and is often used to help addicts taper off opioids altogether. I hope this helps. If you have further questions, feel free to send me a Personal Message, OK?

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 05-16-2005, 06:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Learning to love me.

Suboxone contains Naltrexone. I'm a hydrocodone addict on Suboxone.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Actually, Suboxone contains naloxone, a different narcotic antagonist which is inactive when taken orally. It's in there to prevent people from injecting the Suboxone. Naloxone is active when injected and would put the user in withdrawal.
—EZ
Old 05-16-2005, 06:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Learning to love me.

Where is that "know it all foot in mouth smilie" when I need it? I am bowing to ya Eddie!!!
Old 05-16-2005, 07:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Don't worry about it, Roxann. Alot of people get the two confused all the time.
—EZ
Old 05-27-2005, 11:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Here's a little something that I found recently that you might find interesting.

http://opioids.com/naltrexone/suicide.html

D
Old 05-28-2005, 04:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Interesting article...the suicide bit...i wonder if that is because something in the naltrexone contributes towards depression or whether having an implant denies people their coping mechanism which is oftentimes drugs? All of this pre-supposes that the statistics are accurate of course.
Old 05-28-2005, 04:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No expectations!

I haven't looked at the article yet, but I know naltrexone IS linked to depression in SOME people. You have to consider, though, that addicts, who are the patients who would be on it, are probably more prone to suicide anyway. To me, it's like linking antidepressants to suicide and saying antidepressants caused people to kill themselves. I personally don't buy it. Jusy my opinion. I'll look at the article shortly.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 05-28-2005, 04:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Hmm...compared to methadone, more overdoses, huh? This is probably because addicts use large doses in an attempt to override the naltrexone blockade to get high. It didn't say what they were comparing with regards to the suicide rate, but if it's methadone that sort of makes sense because methadone is just a substutute opioid. I'd be interested to see a comparison with addicts who are not on ANY medication management though, that is, neither methadone OR naltrexone.

You also have to consider the agenda of this website. I'm pretty sure it's a pro-legalization of opioids site, so logically they're going to post evidence against nalrexone treatment in favor of opioids themselves.

—EZ
Old 05-28-2005, 05:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The research was conducted for the Queensland Health Minister. Anyone can research Naltrexone and find numerous reports of depression as well as other complaints. The fact that it in effect blocks endorphin's, in my opinion explains the general feeling of malaise reportedly experienced by many patients taking Revia(Naltrexone). Another fact that doesn't get discussed is the fact that Naltrexone is contraindicated in patients suspected to have liver disease. By some estimates up to 90% of the IV addict population has Hepatitis C, but doctors still encourage patients to take Naltrexone.

D
Old 05-28-2005, 06:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by ironD
Another fact that doesn't get discussed is the fact that Naltrexone is contraindicated in patients suspected to have liver disease. By some estimates up to 90% of the IV addict population has Hepatitis C, but doctors still encourage patients to take Naltrexone.
Whoa! Good point, D! Thanks for the reminder!

I think there are plenty of drugs on the market, naltrexone included, that are safe WHEN PROPERLY MONITORED, but unfortunately too many docs do NOT monitor these meds. Then they end up getting pulled from the market because of the prescribers' irresponsibility.

My experience with naltrexone in particular has been very positive. I have no history of liver disease, so I am an appropriate candidate for it, though. I agree with you, D, that too many doctors push drugs that are often inappropriate in certain patients. Thanks again!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 05-29-2005, 10:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sure anytime........we are a full service shop. I was pleased to see that you've had such a positive experience with it in your own recovery.

D
Old 05-29-2005, 11:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
No expectations!

I almost forgot...
Welcome to SR,
ironD!!
:hello2
Love and hugs,
Eddie

Now where did mendingheart go?