Notices

Drug Dreams?!?

Old 05-07-2005, 09:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Time spent wasted is wasted

Drug Dreams?!?

Hi, I was talking to my AH tonight. He is currently in jail and has been clean since March 17. He has done programs inside and will be realeased to a 10 week live in treatment center in about month (we hope ~ application in the works)... anyways, they have stopped having NA/AA in there because there is no volenteer avalible to come in and host the meetings and he has completed his drug program (two weeks ago) So... he has nobody to talk to about what he is currently experancing.. I don't know much about addiction or the "after effects" of it so I am lost for advice/words of wisdom or whatever....

He told me tonight that the last few nights he has been having really disturbing dreams of "drug use" he said in the dreams he is using, but not his DOC (in the dreams he is using crack, his DOC was opiates).. he said he wakes up and feels ill, and his stomach hurts. These dreams are really disturbing him and he isn't sleeping much anymore.....

I guess I'm wondering if this is "normal", how long it might last.. what it is?!?!
What I can tell him?? (if you guys can help??)

I read to him from this site sometimes when I see something I find interesting or helpful for him or I.. so I tonight that I'd post to see if I could get any info/feedback or whatever for him... he has limited resources in there and this is the first time he has experianced something like this...

Anything is appreaciated... thanks in advance.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Just For Today

Hi, The Other Side .

I've been clean for just over two years. I still have drug dreams, and I believe they'll never leave. I'm relieved to wake up in the middle of a using dream to find out that it was just a dream and not a reality. It's always a possibility though. For addicts, not using isn't normal. We, as addicts, are meant to be high. It's not in our nature to be "clean and serene". For me, that's where having a sponsor helps. I talk about drug dreams (and glorification of using thoughts) with my sponsor, and he shares his similar experiences. It's nice to know that we're not alone, and dreams or thoughts of using (despite past horrible consequences) is quite common. It's not a bad thing to have those thoughts... they're normal. What's bad is not talking about those thoughts. Eventually we place ourselves right back on the frying pan if we isolate.

You could look up your local area NA hotline/helpline and see if an H&I person would be willing to pick him up from jail once released... probably visit him prior. It all depends on your area, it's abilities, and it's resources. One of the things I've heard my grandsponsor (who's done H&I for 14 years) say is that it's a lifesaver (having someone on the outside, to take you under their wing so to speak). Have a program and plan ready to go when the release day comes.

This can only work if your husband wants it though. Remember that

Prayers
Old 05-07-2005, 11:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Time spent wasted is wasted

WNY, Thanks for the reply! He also talked about "glorification of using" with me tonight and how he used to do that but now he can't think of anything to "glorify" cause it just makes him sick to think about it?!?! (thats positive right?!?!)

He said to me that he feels like he is "shutting down" and spending alot of time alone in his cell just looking at the walls... and thinks he has nobody to talk to... so this really jumped out at me:

Originally Posted by WNY Addict
What's bad is not talking about those thoughts. Eventually we place ourselves right back on the frying pan if we isolate.
Yikes!!

Yes he is very serious about his recovery. He chose to do the live in treatement for 10 weeks (on his own), and seems very strong in his desire to obstain from ALL drugs.

Thanks for the idea about requesting a visit from someone in NA, I couldn't do that for him though!! that would be oversteping a "personal boundry" (I have set on myself) I'm trying to be less invloved with that type of thing and let him do it on his own (but I will mention it to him!) ... I'm more just an "ear" right now.... thanks again for the reply!!