Notices

When does it get better and STAY that way?

Old 03-23-2005, 12:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When does it get better and STAY that way?

When do you recover from PTSD???? How long do I have to keep trying to fix myself? How many times do I have to go to counseling for the same damn thing? Every time I think I've learned to live with how I am it always comes back and gets me. I usually can tell myself this will pass cause it always does BUT I'm sick of it coming back!!! I also don't know if I drink/use BECAUSE of this OR because I drink/use it comes back???????????????????? I know I'm getting sick and tired of all of this.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

try not drinking and see how long it takes to come back this time....and then if and when it comes back try to not drink and see if you can use what you have learned to get past it. Then see how long it takes for it to come back.....keep coming back here too..
Old 03-23-2005, 06:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Still Me, Welcome. I can only say that I've felt your feeling for many years. I have found and believe that drinking will prevent me from recovery from PTSD, and not treating my PTSD will prevent me from recovery from alcoholism. The low self esteem from both feed on each other. I found that each could be used to validate my negitive feelings. We have some crazy ideas about ourselves and any type of validation is like fertilizer. Example; I'd belived that I was no good and stupid because I was told that growing up. I'd drink and do stupid things and act like a jerk. People would call me names. My PTSD, would feed on it with self talk. Like, " See even they think your no good," or, " Mybe dad was right, I am stupid even my wife said it." Although the need different treatment, both need to take place together. Drinking--I didn't feel I deserved to get better. This time around I'm working on both and getting close to 2 years. Don W