Notices

In middle of Heroin detox, need some encouragement

Old 02-09-2005, 07:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In middle of Heroin detox, need some encouragement

Feeling really bad, last hit was at 2 AM Tuesday morning.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Just keep taking it slow, you WILL get through this. Don't think to far ahead stay in the moment.

I don't personally have experience with this I am sure others will be along soon with their detox experience. I just wanted you to know that I am praying for you.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

((((HUGS)))) and prayers going out for you....
Old 02-09-2005, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Stay stronG!! You can do it!!!!! Don't give in!!!!!! God Bless you!!
Old 02-09-2005, 12:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Miss Behavin'

i think of the strength and courage it takes to take that first step...that first day.
your worth it, it gets better, easier, don't give up!!!!! Keep coming back her \\//peace
Old 02-09-2005, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can be done. I am living proof of that. I detoxed heroin cold turkey. I had a pretty big habit, and it wasn't easy. Just hang in there. The 2nd and 3rd day are the worst. Once you get through them, then it is all down hill from there.

Drink ALOT of water (to help flush your system quicker), take alot of hot baths and showers (even if you don't feel you have the energy, push yourself, it feels really good afterwards), take tylenol for the aches and pains. Try to get as much rest as you can (easier said than done). Even if your mind is racing, and you feel like you can't sleep, try to just rest and relax. Sleep will eventually come to you.

I spent my 1st three days in bed in my mothers basement (sofa bed), doing all of the above. Day 4 when I was feeling a LITTLE better, but not great I made sure I went to an NA meeting. Just getting up and showering and going out somewhere helped ALOT. I was able to take the focus off of how I felt, and also helped myself to start my recovery. Hold on tight! Don't give in to the thoughts! You can do this!

I know, That was in Aug. 1996, I made it through and haven't gone back. I have been clean since. That wasn't my first time in the program, but it was the first time that I actually made it through withdrawl cold turkey. You may feel like you are going to die, but guess what, you don't.

Hang in there, I am rooting for you.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank You so much! Its been 41 hours since my last hit. I, too, am withdrawal in parents basement with there loving support. It is actually getting a little better, I caught a few hours of sleep this afternoon and the baths have been soothing. I almost want to spend the whole time in the bathtub!!!!

My habit was 2 or 3 shots a day for the last 4 months (injecting). What will it be like once I get through this sickness?
Old 02-09-2005, 04:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Even after you are no longer physically sick, you will most likely still have strong urges to use heroin....that has been my experience with heroin, vicodin, percocet, all opiates. That's why attending meetings for support is so important. You need to find a way to deal with the inevitable cravings....because if you go back to using, once you have been addicted...you will get physically dependent again...and quickly.

I tried to use successfully so many times.....and it never, ever worked. One taste of my DOC and the cravings/urges became overpowering....and I was back at the bottom again.

Congratulations on the courage to take this huge step! It's not easy....but you can do it. Hot baths are the best....and some immodium for the diarrhea if it gets bad. As soon as you feel up to it, exercise....it helps to tire you out so you can sleep, and it also helps with the "restless legs." Even a brisk walk. Hang in there...it will be over soon! And consider a meeting....you won't regret it.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hldover25
My habit was 2 or 3 shots a day for the last 4 months (injecting). What will it be like once I get through this sickness?
Your mind will again and again take you back to 'Glorifying' your drug use. You will remember the fun times, and the high, but it will try to make you forget all of the bad. That is why for me, meetings are soooo important. I need to remember how bad things got for me.

I used for 21 years, the last 15 were IV drug use, in the end I had a 2 bundle a day habit (11 bags in a bundle) as well as a crack habit. I had no idea what my life would be like without it. I was scared. I soon found out that life is more wonderful than I could have ever imagined. It is not easy, but it is well worth it. Not every day is peaches and cream or red roses. Many days are tough. But I learned in recovery that the things worth having are worth working for. Life is not only fun, it is amazing. Besides the fun, and the material items I have amassed (it is amazing how much money you can save when you stop wasting it on dope) The greatest gift I have been given is self-love and inner peace. A sense of serenity that I had wished for my entire life. That is why it is so important to find some type of recovery program. For me, I found these things in NA.

Dive into recovery head first, get involved, go to meetings, and get a sponsor. The freedom is found in the Steps.

You have made one of the most courageous decisions you will ever make in your life. Welcome home.

I will keep you in my prayers.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot... Going on 48 hours... at 2 AM it will be the 2 day mark. I still feel ******, but I guess its getting better. Hopefully I can sleep tonight. I just am worried how I will feel after the physical withdrawals are over. I'm afraid I'll go back if I still feel depressed. How long till I feel normal again?
Old 02-09-2005, 09:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't have any experience with Heroin use, but just wanted to give you a big pat on the back for going through what you are going through. I think it is awesome that you can get it now, and not have to suffer through many years of this hell and insanity.

You're parents must be very proud of you! Good on ya

Take care and stay with us here
Diana
Old 02-10-2005, 12:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Just For Today

Thanks a lot... Going on 48 hours... at 2 AM it will be the 2 day mark. I still feel ******, but I guess its getting better. Hopefully I can sleep tonight. I just am worried how I will feel after the physical withdrawals are over. I'm afraid I'll go back if I still feel depressed. How long till I feel normal again?
We forget what "normal" actually feels like after using for a prolonged period of time, hldover. I'm glad you're here

You will feel better with time, and you never have to go through this again.

I know it's hard to think of a meeting right now while you're still detoxing, but you'll probably find more support and encouragement than you could ever imagine at a local NA meeting.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Going on hour 50 since last hit... I'm gonna make it I know it!! Just took 4th bath in 12 hours... I feel pretty good, best Ive felt since this all started. Been drinking Gatorade and eating soup. I dont have much energy and Ive only slept for 3 hours total, but I think I'm making progress.

Anyon e know when I'll be able to have a regular sleeping pattern? This is one of my biggest fears. Also, will I still feel depressed after the physical symptoms are gone?
Old 02-10-2005, 12:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah Ive given some thought to meetings but Im not good with expressing myself. Is it OK to go and just sit there and not talk at all?
Old 02-10-2005, 01:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Just For Today

Anyon e know when I'll be able to have a regular sleeping pattern? This is one of my biggest fears. Also, will I still feel depressed after the physical symptoms are gone?
Those issues are different for each individual, hldover. I think the most important thing that could effect both of those issues is your seriousness about recovery and what you do to stay clean. I stayed away from the opiates for well over a year before I started recovering, and I was clean but still depressed. It's all part of that addict mindset. I didn't see the good things in life like being employable for once, owning a house, owning a new car, being married. I still drummed over small stupid things... making mountains out of molehills. That's the type of thinking that got me into the dope in the first place, so I was destined to go back eventually unless I changed that way of thinking. I had anxiety issues still, and I was taking anti-depressants.

NA has lifted about 80% of my anxiety. Some anxiety is only normal in life, ya know? I still get it now and again, but no more than other people. I was an insomniac, and now I can sleep through a tornado. I was easily depressed over small things, but now I'm able to always see light on the other end of troubling situations or times.

Yeah Ive given some thought to meetings but Im not good with expressing myself. Is it OK to go and just sit there and not talk at all?
Not only is it okay, it's the best thing you can do! The whole purpose of NA meetings is to help the newcomer stay clean. People think it's all about the meetings, but that's only a small portion of what NA is all about. My program is really centered on my sponsorship family. I talk to my sponsor (who's become a best friend) daily, and I see my sponsee brothers weekly at our sponsor's support group. Meetings are just a way of giving back to newcomers or people who are having issues. Sometimes a sponsor doesn't have all the answers... or maybe you'd just like more opinions. Meetings are just about giving back to the program that saved our lives... they're the portal of entry for the newcomer.

I never thought I'd be able to live without the IV dope. Trust me

Not only am I living without it now, but life has never felt better.

Give NA a try for a few weeks. Like they say, if you don't like it your misery will gladly refund itself the first time you pick up again
Old 02-10-2005, 04:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

54 hours clean... its getting worse again though... cant sleep at all because of restlessness. Seems like the withdrawals go in spurts... in and out, in and out.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
cj.
Mending

hldover25

Here is a ((((((((((HUGE HUG)))))))))) and my deepest respect for your courage.

I know it's not easy for you but you are on your way to finding a freedom beyond belief! My thoughts and prayers will be with you. Keep letting us know how you are getting along.

Peace
cj
Old 02-10-2005, 07:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hang in there hldover25!!!!!!!! You can work through it!!
Old 02-10-2005, 07:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

56 plus hours clean and its very hard right now. I need it to get easier. I feel like a piece of ****
Old 02-10-2005, 08:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've been clean from opiates for 29 days, today. I am sleeping 8 hours a night, no longer feel overwhelming anxiety and depression, and life is looking much better. And I was physically addicted for four years, almost nonstop...much longer than you. I am guessing you are also much younger, which will allow your body/brain to heal faster.

I'd be lying if I said I felt "normal"....whatever that is...but I am soooo much better now than I was the first week. And no comparison at all to the hell of active using/addiction.

There is hope....you WILL feel better, and soon.