Notices

Confused About Sponser Thing

Old 02-07-2005, 06:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Scars,Souvineers we never lose

Thumbs down Confused About Sponser Thing

Hi,

I have been clean 7 days today and have been to a meeting the last 5. They have all been at different places and I feel like I am working very hard to stay sober, reading everything I can about NA, and they say to get a sponser as soon as possible. I dont feel like I know anyone well enough to do that or who is qualified. Everyone shares here and there about their troubles with sponsers. I thought a lady tonite would be a good one so I was like "so I knwo I need a sponser or something" and she said I did and I should find someone who has worked the steps very hard andthat was that. I guess you are supposed to come straight out and say "will you be my sponser" that sounds so weird, and I dont want to get involved with the wrong person. I am very frustrated. Please give me any suggestions on getting a good sponser. I really am trying.

THanks
Old 02-07-2005, 06:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Learning to love me.

Hi! Congrats on 7 days, that's my clean time too!

I stood up at the meeting and introduced myself and just said flat out, I'm in need of a sponsor, may I speak with the ladies after the meeting? and I did and that's how I found my sponsor.

Keep working it, it's working for you!! :bravo
Old 02-07-2005, 06:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

It is important to get a sponcer who is the same sex as you, has worked all 12 steps, knows how to help someone else work them and, you feel a good raport with...
Old 02-07-2005, 06:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You could also ask someone to be your sponser on a temporary basis until you get to know your local NA members better.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

depending on your area, you may not get a lot of people who worked all 12-steps. But as long as they are working steps and ahead of you, your in good shape. Watch what these people do, as that's more important than what they say. Some people can hide really well under this NA-ness. Heck when I first got clean, you would've thought I was Jimmy K's son. You can go the temporary sponsor route because it is suggested to get cranking on the steps ASAP.