Scared , very scared

Old 01-19-2005, 01:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared , very scared

Hi again. As you may know I have just started on the road to being sober. This , infact , is day 2 of my attempt. I really scared at what I am feeling and would appreciate some form of reassurance that these things can occur during early stages. Anyway , here is a list of what I am feeling right now:

*Pain in right abdominal area when standing.
*Panic attack - episiodes where all I think about is death
*Shakyness in the hands
*Nausia ( on and off )
*Can't think straight
*Depression
*Slight , occasional dizzyness
*Mood swings

Thank you in advance for any help you can give. I'll try my hardest to get through this.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Reaching out.Sorry I dont really have any advice for your symtoms other than getting to a Doctor.I just wanted to welcome you to SoberRecovery and tell you to hang in there.I believe the depresion,confusion,and mood swings is normal for 2 days sober and will pass.As for the abdominal pain I would see a Doctor.Congradulations on 2 days.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Professional Alcoholic

Hey Reach, I too went through everything you're going through except the pain in the liver area. I imagine if you quit for good all things will subside. I had the panic attacks you mention and had to get a doctor's note so I wouldn't have to attend closed door meetings at work. Funny thought of a 45 year old man, scared to attend a meeting. But anyway, all the ailments that I had except for a mild case of neuropathy have gone away. I'm sorta glad I developed it because it's a constant reminder of the physical damage I done to my nerves by drinking excessive amounts of alcohol daily. At about three days sober I felt better than I had in a long time and I continue to improve daily. You can do it, so have faith in yourself and just don't drink.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for your kind words!

I drank heavy for 4 years in the evenings. Started on beer ( 4 cans a night ) moved up to whiskey diluted with water ( around 1:5 whiskey:water ) then moved down to a 25% volume spirit with around the same water : spirit ratio. What are the chances that I had done some serior damage to my liver? Like chirosis?
I saw the doctor last time in december when he gave me a physical check of my liver area with his hands and didn't mention anything to do with it.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had a liver biopsy done a couple years ago (not a lotta fun) Milk Thistle is a good herb for the liver.If you have done damage to your liver thats another reason to stop drinking.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Reaching Out!

Your body needs time to adjust. The symptoms should pass in time. Try to rest and take it easy. I certainly would recommend seeing a doctor if the symptoms persist.

Take it easy!

ChrisMan
Old 01-19-2005, 12:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Professional Alcoholic

Reach....what my instructor told me was this...quit now and it won't get any worse. Keep drinking and die. Hmmmmmmmm, for a while I took the second option and drank and drank and drank. From the earliest awaking until I passed out at night. You've got some good people here whom most have experienced what you're going through. Excessive amounts of alcohol will kill you. I was up to 14-16 beers everyday and on the weekend anything went. Alcohol kicked my ass, so I don't touch it anymore. Good luck and get some blood work done to satisfy your concern. It's better to know early on.

Last edited by walkertall; 01-20-2005 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks again for your replies!
Ok , not speaking medically or officialy , What are the chances of serious liver disorders given my age and amount I drank.
Drinking period : 4 years
Amount consumed : 4 liters of 25% volume alchohol per week , watered down a lot.
Occasional beers ( one 6 pack 12oz x 6 )

Hardly ever use Pain killers of any kind. Even when hung over. I drink a lot of milk and water during the day. In december of 2004 the doctor game my a physical examination of the liver area and didn't mention anything. So in this "2 month" period. What are the chances that I have developed something like chirrosis?

I'm so scared right now and I think I will see the doctor this weekend if I can get the car. I know that chirrosis is definate death and apparently very very painful... I don't want to go thorugh that I have stopped drinking ( day 3 ) but the pain doesn't won't to go away.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReachingOut
Thanks again for your replies!
What are the chances that I have developed something like chirrosis?

I'm so scared right now and I think I will see the doctor this weekend if I can get the car. I know that chirrosis is definate death and apparently very very painful...
I am not a Doctor,so I am not sure whether I should say anything or not.But in my opinion chances are you will be fine.You are young and the liver does rejuvinate itself at your age.Stay sober,get to a Doctor,and while you are there ask about taking "Milk Thistle" And you are right "Cirrhosis" is a bad way to go. http://www.ikp.unibe.ch/lab2/cirrhe.html http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1797 http://www.herbalprovider.com/liver-...iver-cirrhosis
Old 01-20-2005, 06:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Reaching, The 2 days are great. If you havn't followed the doctor suggestion, I think you should. First of all, there are ways a doctor can help with many problems with withdrawal. The old days of white knuckle sobriety have gone. I'm not saying it was bad, just not requred anymore. Most important is to determine and damage done. Your physical damage need not wait till your sober. Also, you'll have plenty of things to deal with. Worry about your symptoms can be eliminated by the doctor. The key is to one day at a time reduce problems and don't drink. Don't worry about finding out something bad. The things you listed don't there is something bad. The pain could be something as simple as inflamation and the others could be related to withdrawal.
We think the worst and need to deal with facts. Find out the facts. Hang in there. Don W
Old 01-20-2005, 07:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Reach-like everybody sez.."I'm not a DR"-tho I certainly administered to myself enuff...seriously doubt there is any liver damage, and even if it is extended, they tend to bounce back if you lay-off 'em for awhile..all the rest of it...Dude, don't take this wrong-safe bet quiting now-4years of drinking only at night? you haven't been picking up where you left off..? 2 days kicked...you are probably mostly physically detoxed..your nerves, emotions..things you maybe haven't dealt with for awhile are probably gonna be raw for some time..I only know my own experiences..Post Accute Withdrawal, delerium tremons..you are more likely than not many years of heavy drinking(should you choose) away from that drama..the shakes are bad..queasy stomach...mood swings..depression is no laughing matter(talk to someone-in person)..but mebbe the horror here is knowing..4 yrs..?..tip of the iceberg...more than likely, there is no reason why you won't be just fine...if there should be a next time, I strongly reccommend medical detox..find a meeting..meet some sober people who "get it"...who have felt what you are going thru...save your life now...Love-B