Interesting Relevation to Share

Old 12-09-2004, 11:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Interesting Relevation to Share

I had a really interested realization while watching TV last evening during a commercial for Bailey’s Irish Crème. It brought back memories of when I use to “raid” our liquor cabinet when I ran out of my Scotch. We would often buy after-dinner booze when we entertained a couple time a year. I would go through the open bottles and consume what ever was there, and most I did not like, to maintain by stupor. Oh, I would leave a little in each bottle so that my wife would not see the empties in the trash. (Boy, was I stupid!)

This realization only confirmed my addiction. If I ever question my addiction, I will try and remember those times. I know that early on I questioned if I was really addicted, but quickly resolved and admitted that I was a true-blue alcoholic. I have added this memory to my “Relapse Avoidance” log so when these thoughts come to mind (and I know they will), I will have the answer.

While going through a recovery program for the past year and attending meetings, I had just forgotten what I had done. It seems to me that we only recall the later stages of our addiction and do not remember all of the steps we would go through to get our “stuff”.

Just thought I share this revelation with you.

Another moment and another day in my journey to sobriety.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Doug

I remember one time, calling the dealer for my drugs. He was quite far away at this time, and I asked several times if he'd meet me half way for the buy. He told me he was willing to travel about a mile from his piont, versus my 30 mile drive, I said no, nevermind and hung up the phone.

Then I paced around my house for all of 2 minutes, and called him back and said "I'm on my way". Going to any lengths, and this happened more than once.

Thanks for the reminder Jerry, good post.