Calm your thoughts

Old 11-14-2004, 05:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Doug

Calm your thoughts

When you are busy talking you cannot hear what others are saying. In the same way, when your mind is consumed with thinking and analyzing, you cannot learn what life has to tell you.
The ability to think is a useful, powerful and beautiful thing. Yet like all powerful things, thoughts are best when used in moderation.

If you become too consumed with your own thoughts, you can fail to see what is right in front of you. If you are too obsessed with analyzing every move, you become unable to move at all.

On a regular basis, take a quiet, peaceful retreat from your thoughts. Spend some time not plotting or worrying, not considering or agonizing, but just being and enjoying your own awareness.

Life can be wonderful when it is filled with noise, confusion, excitement and busy, complex thoughts. And those exciting times are even better when they're balanced with quiet, peaceful times.

Make it a point every so often to empty your mind. Then you'll be able to fill it with all the good things you want.

Old 11-14-2004, 05:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very nice post Doug! Thank you.That is something I need to do more often.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

If you become too consumed with your own thoughts, you can fail to see what is right in front of you. If you are too obsessed with analyzing every move, you become unable to move at all.
Sometimes, for me, quiet times are when the obsessions move in. That's not unusual for a codie, we can keep busy doing just about anything to keep our minds off our obsessions, but they sneak back when we're quiet.

I guess for me, it's about balance and staying in the "real world". I find quiet times can be healing times, times for meditation, and stress relievers, but when I use quiet times to hide from reality, or worse, turn them into my reality, I'm in trouble. Isolating, dreaming of "what if's" or "what might have beens" and avoiding contact with reality can be more damaging than making myself get busy with life on life's terms.

Thanks for the nudge, Doug, I think I need to find my balance again.

Hugs
Ann