Notices

Intro

Old 05-22-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Intro

Hi guys,

I haven’t been on this board in a long time, but I’ve been really struggling lately with my mental health problems, and I think I could use some extra support, so I’m posting this intro. This seems like a pretty cool group. I figure you guys probably understand my situation. I have bipolar 2, generalized anxiety disorder, PTSD, alcoholism, and anorexia (relapsed last year, in recovery since January). My main issue is the BP2 which has been really bad lately. I take a mood stabilizer, an antipsychotic, and two meds for anxiety. My current meds help, but they aren’t quite right, and I’m still working with my psychiatrist on this. I lead a normal-looking life – full time job, family, etc., but it’s a struggle to hold it all together. I’m almost 15 months sober, and I realize that I haven’t managed my mental health very well during that time, which caused me a lot of problems. I guess I thought getting sober would make it all better, but really it has shown me that I have to take more responsibility for myself if I want to be healthy. I’m learning that living well in recovery is going to take a lot more work on my part to effectively and proactively attend to my mental health. I think my core problem that needs the most attention right now is my BP2. It's been a really big struggle, and I'm not sure what to do right now.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and thanks for being here, and hopefully I can be of some help to you guys too.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
It's good to see you again, Briar, and I'm glad you're back to share your experience with others.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hey Briar
Old 06-01-2016, 07:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome back Briar.

Come and vent or just check in. Let us know anything we can do.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Hey guys, thanks. Still working on the meds. I think they're helping.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good stuff
Old 06-21-2016, 10:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I too thought that just getting sober would solve everything and never imagined that I would need to work on my mental health just as much if not more then my drug addiction.

There are so many medications out there that it can seem daunting to find the right combination of medications. I also have bipolar type 2 and I have found that the difference for me was finding a doctor that specialized in addiction as well as in mental health and is overall a great doctor. Finding the right doctor is the first step, I don't know if you explicitly trust your doctor and feel you are getting the right care- but if not I'd start there. Bipolar type 2 is not as understood as type 1 and I personally feel some doctors are not equipped to handle and treat it.

I also make sure I go to counseling. I have felt that just being on medicine does not do the trick, building a relationship with a counselor you trust can really make a difference. My counselor has really gotten me into counseling, using some natural supplements and vitamins in conjunction with my prescribed medication. She has also taught me breathing techniques, yoga, meditation, and other daily habits to incorporate into my daily life.

As long as you don't stop working on yourself you will get to a point where you feel your mental health is where it needs to be or maybe it will get to be better then you ever dreamed it would be! Don't give up and keep working at it, I know how daunting it can be and how hopeless we can feel at times...believe me I understand.

Feel free to message me if you ever just feel like chatting, it can get so easy to feel alone.