Notices

Practicing the discipline of 10 & 11

Old 12-03-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Practicing the discipline of 10 & 11

I can't seem to discipline myself to practice 10 and 11. I don't know if it is because I am over-complicating it, or if I feel like the directions I got weren't clear.

How do you all practice 10 & 11, and how do you all discipline yourself to do so?
Old 12-04-2015, 04:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just do it.

If I've been given good direction and help and I'm not just not doing it, my disease is running the the show. Resistance is winning.

Knowing that, i turn off the internet and push the disease out of my head using my will power, light the candle, get on my knees, and get back to business.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello L.I.P.

The link below has a short meditation based on Steps 10 & 11 which is very good. Click the link, then click on: Juanita U - A Guided Meditation

Stories of Recovery

RDBplus3

If the link doesn't open, do a web search for 'Stories of Recovery.org'
When you go to the Website, click 'Other Talks' on the left side of the page.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WMJ1012 View Post
I just do it.

If I've been given good direction and help and I'm not just not doing it, my disease is running the the show. Resistance is winning.

Knowing that, i turn off the internet and push the disease out of my head using my will power, light the candle, get on my knees, and get back to business.
May I ask what your directions were? I was just told to read 84-88 every morning. But I kind of wanted to know exactly how to apply what I read. Do you all get directions like I did, or do you all get more specific directions? That's sort of what I was looking for. To hear what directions you all were given, or how you applied them.

And you're absolutely right....thank you for saying all that about your disease winning if I'm resisting...
Old 12-04-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RDBplus3 View Post
Hello L.I.P.

The link below has a short meditation based on Steps 10 & 11 which is very good. Click the link, then click on: Juanita U - A Guided Meditation

Stories of Recovery

RDBplus3

If the link doesn't open, do a web search for 'Stories of Recovery.org'
When you go to the Website, click 'Other Talks' on the left side of the page.
Thank you for the meditation link, RDB.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

step 10 is this simple:
Continue to watch for selfishness, dishonesty, resentment, and fear. When these crop up, we ask God at once to remove them. We discuss them with someone immediately and make amends quickly if we have harmed anyone. Then we resolutely turn our thoughts to someone we can help.

it doesnt get any simpler.

step 11 is this simple:
in the morning:

On awakening let us think about the twenty-four hours ahead. We consider our plans for the day. Before we begin, we ask God to direct our thinking, especially asking that it be divorced from self-pity, dishonest or self-seeking motives. Under these conditions we can employ our mental faculties with assurance, for after all God gave us brains to use. Our thought-life will be placed on a much higher plane when our thinking is cleared of wrong motives.
In thinking about our day we may face indecision. We may not be able to determine which course to take. Here we ask God for inspiration, an intuitive thought or a decision. We relax and take it easy. We don't struggle. We are often surprised how the right answers come after we have tried this for a while.

during the day:
As we go through the day we pause, when agitated or doubtful, and ask for the right thought or action. We constantly remind ourselves we are no longer
running the show, humbly saying to ourselves many times each day "Thy will be done."

at night:
When we retire at night, we constructively review our day. Were we resentful, selfish, dishonest or afraid? Do we owe an apology? Have we kept something to ourselves which should be discussed with another person at once? Were we kind and loving toward all? What could we have done better? Were we thinking of ourselves most of the time? Or were we thinking of what we could do for others, of what we could pack into the stream of life? But we must be careful not to drift into worry, remorse or morbid reflection, for that would diminish our usefulness to others. After making our review we ask God's forgiveness and inquire what corrective measures should be taken.

We alcoholics are undisciplined. So we let God discipline us in the simple way we have just outlined.

keep it simple and take it easy, live.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello L.I.P.
For the meditation of Step 11, I like the link I sent in the post above ... and I appreciate the Thank You

Another Meditation / Prayer I do is this:
I take a few deep breaths, then sit quietly and say the 3rd Step Prayer (which I had printed and now have memorized). I then sit quietly, focusing on calm steady breathing, and allow the concepts of the 3rd Step Prayer to 'resonate'. I observe thought processes and feelings that inevitably surface from within and subtly try to take control of my thinking and feelings. I just let them go, and recognize that they are being generated within me, but they are NOT actually 'ME'. If / when they become stronger and more 'insistent' I repeat the 3rd Step Prayer and calmly return to letting the Prayer 'resonate' within me. I usually do this for a set period (20 minutes or so for which I have set a timer on my phone).

Through the program of AA (the 12 Steps, etc), and reading the Bible (the Big Book that the Founders used before they wrote the AA Big Book), I recognize that as a Human Being, I have a Flesh Nature and a Spiritual Nature, both, within my Human Nature. This process helps me recognize the Self-Will-Run-Riot / Instinct-Out-of-control processes generated by my Flesh Nature, and allows me to NOT let those 'Gears' engage in running 'Me', while allowing me to sit quietly and allow my Spiritual Nature to be influenced by my Creator (without the trap of having my limited / possibly-flawed concept of 'God' control my thoughts).

Step 10. Daily and at-the-moment, or as quickly as possible, I recognize when my Flesh Nature is running amok or wreaking havoc, and I pause and say an appropriate prayer (such as 'God direct my thinking'), and I apologize and set something right if I have done a wrong. If something is grinding on me, or if I recognize a behavior that is 'un-lovely', I do 4th Step type inventory work on it and discuss it with my Sponsor, or close friend(s) I know are working the program of Personal Responsibility that is the core of the AA program.

These are just some of the ways Steps 10,11,12 work in my Daily Life. I KNOW you will work out an ongoing process by just immersing yourself in doing the work, however uncertain it may seem at the beginning, or at times in your ongoing life.

RDBplus3 ... Happy, Joyous and FREE
Old 12-05-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

3rd Step Prayer
God, I offer myself to You-to build with me and to do with me according to Your will. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Your will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Your Power, Your Love, and Your Way of Life. May I do Your will always.
(Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 63)

7th Step Prayer
My Creator, I am now willing that You should have all of me, good and bad. I pray that You now remove from me every single defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness to You and others. Grant me strength, as I go out from here, to do Your will. Amen.
(Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 76 )

11th Step Prayer
Lord, make me a channel of Your peace - that where there is hatred, I may bring love - that where there is wrong, I may bring the spirit of forgiveness - that where there is discord, I may bring harmony - that where there is error, I may bring truth - that where there is doubt, I may bring faith - that where there is despair, I may bring hope - that where there are shadows, I may bring light - that where there is sadness, I may bring joy. Lord, grant that I may seek rather to comfort than to be comforted - to understand, than to be understood - to love, than to be loved. For it is by self-forgetting that I may find. It is by forgiving that I may be forgiven. It is by dying that I may awaken to eternal life. Amen
(Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 99)

RDBplus3
Old 12-06-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
step 10 is this simple:
Continue to watch for selfishness, dishonesty, resentment, and fear. When these crop up, we ask God at once to remove them. We discuss them with someone immediately and make amends quickly if we have harmed anyone. Then we resolutely turn our thoughts to someone we can help. It doesnt get any simpler.
I am getting better at the first two sentences, although my self-awareness still needs some work. The third sentence confuses me. I'm assuming my sponsor wouldn't appreciate it if I called her every single time I had a selfish, dishonest, angry, or fearful thought. I get the amends part, and why it should be made on the spot. The fourth sentence I still struggle with, as I don't sponsor anyone yet so I'm not sure what they mean by helping someone.

step 11 is this simple:
in the morning:

On awakening let us think about the twenty-four hours ahead. We consider our plans for the day. Before we begin, we ask God to direct our thinking, especially asking that it be divorced from self-pity, dishonest or self-seeking motives. Under these conditions we can employ our mental faculties with assurance, for after all God gave us brains to use. Our thought-life will be placed on a much higher plane when our thinking is cleared of wrong motives.
In thinking about our day we may face indecision. We may not be able to determine which course to take. Here we ask God for inspiration, an intuitive thought or a decision. We relax and take it easy. We don't struggle. We are often surprised how the right answers come after we have tried this for a while.

during the day:
As we go through the day we pause, when agitated or doubtful, and ask for the right thought or action. We constantly remind ourselves we are no longer
running the show, humbly saying to ourselves many times each day "Thy will be done."

at night:
When we retire at night, we constructively review our day. Were we resentful, selfish, dishonest or afraid? Do we owe an apology? Have we kept something to ourselves which should be discussed with another person at once? Were we kind and loving toward all? What could we have done better? Were we thinking of ourselves most of the time? Or were we thinking of what we could do for others, of what we could pack into the stream of life? But we must be careful not to drift into worry, remorse or morbid reflection, for that would diminish our usefulness to others. After making our review we ask God's forgiveness and inquire what corrective measures should be taken.

We alcoholics are undisciplined. So we let God discipline us in the simple way we have just outlined.
I do understand this, and I guess rereading this I see I do most of this except for the nightly review.

keep it simple and take it easy, live.[/QUOTE]

LOL yes excellent advice! Thanks for the reminder. I'm still busy over complicating my recovery.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Another Meditation / Prayer I do is this:
I take a few deep breaths, then sit quietly and say the 3rd Step Prayer (which I had printed and now have memorized). I then sit quietly, focusing on calm steady breathing, and allow the concepts of the 3rd Step Prayer to 'resonate'. I observe thought processes and feelings that inevitably surface from within and subtly try to take control of my thinking and feelings. I just let them go, and recognize that they are being generated within me, but they are NOT actually 'ME'. If / when they become stronger and more 'insistent' I repeat the 3rd Step Prayer and calmly return to letting the Prayer 'resonate' within me. I usually do this for a set period (20 minutes or so for which I have set a timer on my phone).
RDBplus thank you!! This is exactly what I was curious about--how other people did Step 10 and 11. I was looking for the details. :-)

Through the program of AA (the 12 Steps, etc), and reading the Bible (the Big Book that the Founders used before they wrote the AA Big Book), I recognize that as a Human Being, I have a Flesh Nature and a Spiritual Nature, both, within my Human Nature. This process helps me recognize the Self-Will-Run-Riot / Instinct-Out-of-control processes generated by my Flesh Nature, and allows me to NOT let those 'Gears' engage in running 'Me', while allowing me to sit quietly and allow my Spiritual Nature to be influenced by my Creator (without the trap of having my limited / possibly-flawed concept of 'God' control my thoughts).
I do also remember learning that the founders used the bible, since Bill was a member of the Oxford Group. I think I recall an online AA step speaker, Russell, saying that they used the Book of James, Sermon on the Mount, and the 1 Corinthians 13. I'm not sure if I remember that right. I'm not familiar with the bible, but I had wanted to read these parts.

Step 10. Daily and at-the-moment, or as quickly as possible, I recognize when my Flesh Nature is running amok or wreaking havoc, and I pause and say an appropriate prayer (such as 'God direct my thinking'), and I apologize and set something right if I have done a wrong. If something is grinding on me, or if I recognize a behavior that is 'un-lovely', I do 4th Step type inventory work on it and discuss it with my Sponsor, or close friend(s) I know are working the program of Personal Responsibility that is the core of the AA program.
That is very helpful to hear how you apply Step 10. My self-awareness has gotten a lot better, but I still need to work at it more. That's a great reminder to call AA "Personal Responsibility". I love that. I have to keep focusing on my behaviors, and my reactions and responses to life.

These are just some of the ways Steps 10,11,12 work in my Daily Life. I KNOW you will work out an ongoing process by just immersing yourself in doing the work, however uncertain it may seem at the beginning, or at times in your ongoing life.

RDBplus3 ... Happy, Joyous and FREE
Thank you for sharing this, RDBplus3. I sometimes just need/want things spelled out for me because of fear that I don't understand the instructions, but I really think it's that I'm probably just over-complicating things. Truly, this helped!!! I needed a place to start from.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I apply Step 10 whenever my action has been wrong , I say sorry promptly or asap if I don't realize at the time that I have committed a wrong and I try not to change others to suit me .

11 th Step I normally try to apply this Step in my bed at night when its quite and peaceful , I try and still my mind from the days activities and ask the ''power within '' for guidance and knowledge and ability to apply love ( god is love) kindness , consideration , patience towards others no matter what throughout the next 24 hours . I can start again anytime if needed . I don't make any plans outwith my normal daily activities , I take things as they come, Gods will , not my will . take care and keep it simple .

Regards

Stevie.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

3rd Step Prayer
God, I offer myself to You-to build with me and to do with me according to Your will. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Your will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Your Power, Your Love, and Your Way of Life. May I do Your will always.
(Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 63)

7th Step Prayer
My Creator, I am now willing that You should have all of me, good and bad. I pray that You now remove from me every single defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness to You and others. Grant me strength, as I go out from here, to do Your will. Amen.
(Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 76 )

11th Step Prayer
Lord, make me a channel of Your peace - that where there is hatred, I may bring love - that where there is wrong, I may bring the spirit of forgiveness - that where there is discord, I may bring harmony - that where there is error, I may bring truth - that where there is doubt, I may bring faith - that where there is despair, I may bring hope - that where there are shadows, I may bring light - that where there is sadness, I may bring joy. Lord, grant that I may seek rather to comfort than to be comforted - to understand, than to be understood - to love, than to be loved. For it is by self-forgetting that I may find. It is by forgiving that I may be forgiven. It is by dying that I may awaken to eternal life. Amen
(Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 99)

RDBplus3
Again this is perfect to have them all in one place. I'm printing this out. I also love how you changed the wording in Step 3 prayer to "you" and you removed the "thy". It makes it so much more readable.

I love the 11th step prayer. I had forgotten about it, so thank you!
Old 12-06-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stevieg46 View Post
I apply Step 10 whenever my action has been wrong , I say sorry promptly or asap if I don't realize at the time that I have committed a wrong and I try not to change others to suit me .
Thanks, Stevie! I've been getting better at this. If I'm rushing or impatient and a little short with someone, I will apologize specifically for it, and then ask God to help me remove that defect of character, for example. I really had no idea just how much in my head I was and how I made everything about me. I guess maybe I'll just save big stuff for my sponsor, or stuff in general.

11 th Step I normally try to apply this Step in my bed at night when its quite and peaceful , I try and still my mind from the days activities and ask the ''power within '' for guidance and knowledge and ability to apply love ( god is love) kindness , consideration , patience towards others no matter what throughout the next 24 hours . I can start again anytime if needed . I don't make any plans outwith my normal daily activities , I take things as they come, Gods will , not my will . take care and keep it simple.
I love this description!! This really helps.

I absolutely love how simple living one day at a time really is for you all. I think I am finally beginning to understand this. Thank you!! I can't wait to apply this better.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Last question--what about distractions? E.g., spouse, pet, oversleeping... Do you all specifically ask for 5 minutes of peace and quiet so you can work "On Awakening" and "When we retire"? Do you go into another room?

Thanks everyone. This thread has really been helpful for me, and I am so excited about applying this. I guess I really do just need everything spelled out for me......
Old 12-07-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Few years ago I was very involved in Yoga ( type ) deep breathing meditation , I used a spare room and I had a music player for cds '' music suitable'' for meditation . Don't do that now, 11th Step I do in bed , You could go to bed last ? or first ? or wait until husbands sleeping .

Morning I don't say any prayers , all I say is thy will be done, and ask for help to face the day with ''love '' for my fellow man ( covers all ) , that is a small continuation of Step 11 . 10th Step ( for me ) only used when I wrong someone and take personal inventory and then admit it . 10th Step ( only my opinion ) inventory nothing to do with Step 4/5 they are '' one of '' take care .

Regards .
Stevie .
Old 12-07-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Few years ago I was very involved in Yoga ( type ) deep breathing meditation , I used a spare room and I had a music player for cds '' music suitable'' for meditation . Don't do that now, 11th Step I do in bed , You could go to bed last ? or first ? or wait until husbands sleeping .

Morning I don't say any prayers , all I say is thy will be done, and ask for help to face the day with ''love '' for my fellow man ( covers all ) , that is a small continuation of Step 11 . 10th Step ( for me ) only used when I wrong someone and take personal inventory and then admit it . 10th Step ( only my opinion ) inventory nothing to do with Step 4/5 they are '' one of '' take care .

Regards .
Stevie .
This simple approach, with occasional variations, has been working effectively for me for many years.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I used to do yoga, too. I need to get back into it, because it helped me live in the present moment. I also took an 8 week mindfulness & meditation class but I didn't keep up with the practice.

I've heard others share that they do Step 11 in bed. I think I like that idea. It's simple.

That's a good point that the 10th step is nothing to do with Step 4 and 5. The more I've read on SR, the more I finally get how they're different. One of the threads called Step 4 a "moral" inventory and Step 10 a "personal" inventory. I see how they're different. Plus if they were the same, Bill W may have just written "Repeat Step 4". :-)

As always, Stevie, thank you for your helpful input.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
This simple approach, with occasional variations, has been working effectively for me for many years.
Thanks Gottalife. I do need to keep things simple. Sometimes I think, "I must be missing something, it can't be *this* simple....
Old 12-07-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I try to keep my program simple - If not, I will need to pole volt over ant hills!

Each night my last thoughts are prayer and a mental review of my liabilities / assets = My Daily Moral Inventory.

Each day I start with a few simple prayers and a reading with some quiet time. My prayers consist of the 3rd step prayer, prayer of St Francis and long form of the Serenity Prayer. I will also read the Daily reflection passage and the grapevine quote of the day.

Oswald Chambers - Utmost for His Highest is part of my daily morning read.

Now - all that sound pretty lofty, eh??
Prayer I hit a consistent 95% at some point during the day - I am grateful for so very much.
Readings I hit around 70%

Step 10 - most nights - at least half I do a pretty good review.

I would never get an A in AA - but, this had worked for me thus far.......
Old 12-07-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I needed this thread today ... I need to keep it simple. But do it.