Notices

Sunday - Being Grateful

Old 11-08-2015, 08:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sunday - Being Grateful

I have much to be grateful for today. When I woke up, I had planned to visit a friend who was in the hospital which is about an hour and a half from where I live. However, when I tried to reach this friend by calling the hospital, there was no answer. This somewhat concerned me because I knew the surgical process was going to be somewhat invasive, but my concerns ran deep. I feared that the procedure might not have turned out nearly as good as estimated, so I keep my hopes high today and will over the next few days.

I then felt a bit bummed because I didn't have any backup plans for the day and didn't want to just sit around with nothing to do. At that moment, an ex-girlfriend messaged me and asked if I'd like to head out for a ride on our motorcycles (she rides one too!). That offer put me in quite good spirits. It was a great 150+ mile journey that kept us out most of the afternoon. We were able to talk about relationships and smoke cigars while on our breaks from riding. It was the kind of talks that I couldn't have when we broke up our relationship. I'm quite grateful that she reached out to me and suggested the ride. I think it was a great benefit for her too because she had another chance to spend time with me and talk with me. I do cherish the friendship opportunity with this lady, but don't see it turning back into the type of relationship that we had up until a bit over 3 months ago when I decided to get sober.

After the great ride, I wasn't quite ready to end the day. I went to an AA meeting in my area where I had not attended before. The leader had a chance to speak with me prior to the meeting and asked if I'd like to be the lead speaker to start of the meeting. I was happy to share my story for the first 10 minutes of the meeting and selected a topic, which many of the other members in the room could relate to and chose to talk about the great moments that they were having in their recovery.

While the day didn't start off so good, I'm happy with how it ended and am grateful for the great experiences that I had for today.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like a great day...and the kind of experiences and presence we can only have sober. Thx for post.