Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

Scared of meds, looking for healthier alternatives

Notices

Old 10-20-2015, 08:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm definitely having anxiety and depression due to a particularly difficult situation I'm in. In the past, my doctor has prescribed Ativan and I have used it very sparingly...but now my doctor has talked about putting me on something that is longer-lasting and meant for longer use....and I'm really not okay with this.

I don't like using ANY of these kinds of chemicals if I can help it. I try to keep myself as pure as possible, for many reasons (addiction only being one reason). I'm resisting taking any of the meds my doc wants to prescribe.

Has anyone tried healthier alternatives to help ease their anxiety and depression? I have tried meditation, praying, taking walks/being out in nature as much as possible...but I am reading about how supplements may help as well. Anyone have any tips or advice or tried-and-true methods of what works for them? I'm majorly trying to avoid having to use medications.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your have to speak to a Dr & get tested for deficiency that's what I done

As for non med treatment have you considered therapy I'm doing that also for anxiety & there's counselling for depression I'm looking into that too
Old 10-21-2015, 03:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
totfit

Personally: Copious amounts of exercise, proper eating, Fish Oil, 5HTP, Multi-Vitamin, Sleep
Old 10-21-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Lots of sunshine, fresh air, exercise, and contact with as many people as possible helped immensely with my depression and anxiety....but I have to be honest....taking an SSRI as prescribed got me off to a good start. It took awhile for it to be fully effective and I was able to taper off after a year.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Your have to speak to a Dr & get tested for deficiency that's what I done

As for non med treatment have you considered therapy I'm doing that also for anxiety & there's counselling for depression I'm looking into that too
Due to having multiple autoimmune diseases, I have had major deficiencies in my past, but as of now (since going gluten-free due to my Celiac disease) I am only still deficient in vitamin D (which I take 5,000 units of D3 a day and it barely makes a dent...I also pretty much live out in the sunshine here in SoCal). My B12 is low to me, but my doctors aren't worried about it right now and have told me to just leave that alone.

I have a counseling appt today, in an hour...but I can only afford to do this once a month and that definitely isn't enough for me right now (and this is the lowest I have found, through county help, they base the price on a sliding scale). I have another doctor appt tomorrow afternoon, but not sure if I will be able to make it there due to other things going on that day.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by totfit View Post
Personally: Copious amounts of exercise, proper eating, Fish Oil, 5HTP, Multi-Vitamin, Sleep
I already have a pretty strict diet...I'm gluten-free/paleo due to food allergies and Celiac. I take D3 for my deficiency. Drink tons of water. I don't exercise as much right NOW because I'm having a hard time even just getting up to walk around (I'm also extremely fatigued this week since I am barely eating and have been vomiting everything I eat). I try to get enough sleep, but I wake up multiple times during the night and find it hard to go right back to sleep after.

I forgot about 5HTP...I was looking into that before, I need to research that again...
Old 10-21-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Got Me Pegged

Originally Posted by nutmeg19 View Post
I'm definitely having anxiety and depression due to a particularly difficult situation I'm in. In the past, my doctor has prescribed Ativan and I have used it very sparingly...but now my doctor has talked about putting me on something that is longer-lasting and meant for longer use....and I'm really not okay with this.

I don't like using ANY of these kinds of chemicals if I can help it. I try to keep myself as pure as possible, for many reasons (addiction only being one reason). I'm resisting taking any of the meds my doc wants to prescribe.

Has anyone tried healthier alternatives to help ease their anxiety and depression? I have tried meditation, praying, taking walks/being out in nature as much as possible...but I am reading about how supplements may help as well. Anyone have any tips or advice or tried-and-true methods of what works for them? I'm majorly trying to avoid having to use medications.
I swear to God there must be someone here that knows me well and has got me pegged!

This post reminds me of me say about 21 years ago...and at that AGE I was more resilient, had more reserve and didn't particularly NEED any meds to speak of except occasional Ibuprofen and Tylenol. Totally into fitness and extremely health conscious.

Am still into fitness and very health conscious, but my ATTITUDE toward taking meds has changed a lot and I am much more open minded about taking prescribed meds as needed. My attitude now is if you need meds you need meds and depending on the BENEFITS of the meds it can improve your life so that you can continue to do the things you enjoy so much and feel good while doing them.

Life happens, we get older, and our needs change. That's okay!

I hope you have a smart Dr. who will help you figure things out and prescribe what is beneficial and effective...and I hope you open your mind to taking meds that are beneficial without overmedicating...I think there is a good balance to be had.

To summerize: I'm am so not opposed to taking needed meds even though I used to be. The key is to weigh the risks vs. benefits and don't over-medicate.

Blessed Be...
Old 10-21-2015, 12:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah, continue to stay active...get some fresh air...eat well...get lots of sleep...take a good multi vit...and drink plenty of fluids...rest your mind and try not to worry about stuff...take a mental break...soak in all the good things and love...

I'm going for a nature walk today in clear autumn weather...beautiful here in my neck of the woods...part of it overlooks one of our local lakes...the POINT (wink) is: get out there...listen to some soothing music if that's your thing...when it's someone you've seen in concert a couple of times it brings it home more so....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNaNDt5Bu6s

Heaven When We're Home...
Old 10-21-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with you, tea, about meds.

One can choose to lives miserably even though a regimen of meds could change his or her quality of life.

All meds aren't created equal.

Some are indicated for people who are addicts or alcoholics and others are not.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I took SAMe for awhile but I stopped, it didn't help much to be honest or well maybe it did I dont know, i stopped though because its expensive.

I too have a vitamin D deficiency and take 5000IU daily for it. I also have been eating lots of healthy foods lately and that helps as well.

Not taking an SSRI will make things difficult so we have to make changes ourselves and work a little harder, it can be done though.

I still keep the possibility of an SSRI open in the future though I am like you, I want to be chemical free etc.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey, look into Natural Calm magnesium supplement - it's got amazing reviews. It's good for you in general but also works to help anxiety and stress.
Be wary with other magnesium supplements because there's different types - the worst being magnesium oxide (it's hard for the body to absorb that type). The one mentioned above is a magnesium citrate.
Worth a try I guess, or looking into. I do take it myself and even trough all the drama of my alcoholic BF's situation, and raising a toddler, I'm okay. Sometimes I wonder if I'm a little too okay ha!

I've read about 5HTP for depression, though I've not read much on it apart from its got good reviews. Maybe worth a look into also.

Just to add that it's actually a startling percentage of people who are magnesium deficient - especially alcoholics. I think it's something like 75%. The mental and physical effects of the deficiency are crazy too.

Best of luck and I think you're awesome for being as natural as you can. Nature is the best.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I already have a pretty strict diet...I'm gluten-free/paleo due to food allergies and Celiac. I take D3 for my deficiency. Drink tons of water. I don't exercise as much right NOW because I'm having a hard time even just getting up to walk around (I'm also extremely fatigued this week since I am barely eating and have been vomiting everything I eat). I try to get enough sleep, but I wake up multiple times during the night and find it hard to go right back to sleep after.

I forgot about 5HTP...I was looking into that before, I need to research that again...
What you are describing here is CLASSIC depression symptoms. When was the last time you had a good check-up by a smart Dr. And I know there are getting to be more Dr.'s who are willing to support you in your natural quest and will sort of BLEND the two together to come out with a good BALANCE.

Drinking lots of water is good..but that can be overdone too and throw your electrolytes off.

Blessed Be...
Old 10-26-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
I agree with you, tea, about meds.

One can choose to lives miserably even though a regimen of meds could change his or her quality of life.

All meds aren't created equal.

Some are indicated for people who are addicts or alcoholics and others are not.
Yep yep! I am into 'natural' things as well, but I believe there is a good balance to be had and that the natural approach can be BLENDED with meds...everything breaks down to some type of chemical...and CHEMICALS are part of what makes up the world we live in and the MATTER that makes up our world... Meds are not 'evil'...if they are prescribed appropriately and have good benefit. Granted some folks take certain meds for years that they may not even need and if a different Dr. were to analyze what all they take and why they would likely do a change up and/or discontinue some of the meds. That's why I am such an advocate of finding a smart Dr. who knows what their doing and can figure things out.

Blessed Be...
Old 11-03-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Have you ever read The Chemistry of Joy by Henry Emmons?

You might want to check it out. I read it recently and found it very interesting. Based on the recommendation of this book, I'm taking a combination of St. John's Wort, B-Complex, and Omega-3. I haven't been taking it long enough to tell you if it works, but I was looking for a more natural way to treat depression and anxiety before I took the plunge with prescriptions and it was worth a shot. Some of it seemed a bit silly to me, but most of it seemed reasonable and doable.

Here is a description from Goodreads:
The Chemistry of Joy presents Dr. Emmons’s natural approach to depression—supplemented with medication if necessary—combining the best of Western medicine and Eastern teaching to create your body’s own biochemistry of joy. Integrating Western brain chemistry, natural and Ayurvedic medicine, Buddhist psychology, and his own joyful heart techniques, Dr. Emmons creates a practical program for each of the three types of depression: anxious depression, agitated depression, and sluggish depression.

The Chemistry of Joy helps you to identify which type of depression you are experiencing and provides a specific diet and exercise plan to address it, as well as nutritional supplements and “psychology of mindfulness” exercises that can restore your body’s natural balance and energy. This flexible approach creates newfound joy for those whose lives have been touched by depression—and pathways for all who seek to actively improve their emotional lives.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
🚫Proverbial Pink Elephant

We all need to plug into our spiritual connection.
The higher power God is the power source we seek.
I need the AA meetings.
...and the power and love of Christ.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by learntofly View Post
Have you ever read The Chemistry of Joy by Henry Emmons?

You might want to check it out. I read it recently and found it very interesting. Based on the recommendation of this book, I'm taking a combination of St. John's Wort, B-Complex, and Omega-3. I haven't been taking it long enough to tell you if it works, but I was looking for a more natural way to treat depression and anxiety before I took the plunge with prescriptions and it was worth a shot. Some of it seemed a bit silly to me, but most of it seemed reasonable and doable.

Here is a description from Goodreads:
The Chemistry of Joy presents Dr. Emmons’s natural approach to depression—supplemented with medication if necessary—combining the best of Western medicine and Eastern teaching to create your body’s own biochemistry of joy. Integrating Western brain chemistry, natural and Ayurvedic medicine, Buddhist psychology, and his own joyful heart techniques, Dr. Emmons creates a practical program for each of the three types of depression: anxious depression, agitated depression, and sluggish depression.

The Chemistry of Joy helps you to identify which type of depression you are experiencing and provides a specific diet and exercise plan to address it, as well as nutritional supplements and “psychology of mindfulness” exercises that can restore your body’s natural balance and energy. This flexible approach creates newfound joy for those whose lives have been touched by depression—and pathways for all who seek to actively improve their emotional lives.
Sounds like a good read!
Old 12-01-2015, 11:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Glad I found this thread - I've always been reluctant however my GP yesterday prescribed me Fluoxetine. My thoughts have been that I can do this myself and what im considering possibly probably kept me going as long and never suffering as others do with hangovers / come downs despite the huge excesses is the fact I have an extremely healthy diet and exercise regime (problem being that's also to the point of obsession - from being overweight many years to how I am now and have been since 2008) - people telling me I go too far at times yet I still feel and look overweight - another issue I need to sort out before it causes any problem other than constantly driving the wife daft with my questioning and looking in the mirror / weighing myself morning and night - obsessive obsessive obsessive - arrggh !! problem being I just don't seem to be able to pick myself up despite best efforts so started yesterday on his advice.

Previously tho when not drinking / taking drugs and smashing the diet to the letter and gym too I find myself going the other way and absolutely hyper - Discussed this with the GP also which he wants to monitor.

Just want some middle ground for once instead of the roller coaster I seem to have been on for far too many years - the lows are becoming more and more frequent.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Great thread you started Nutmeg.

Thanks for the book recommendation Learntofly. Did the book help you. I'm a sluggish depressive - irk.

Meds have been a lifesaver for me. If western pharmaceuticals are the right thing for an individual, then they are pretty much the opposite of an addictive drug in that they are a discipline to take rather than something craved. Unfortunately they don't work for everyone and antidepressants are an inexact science whose efficacy can only be determined through trial and error.

Our cultural attitude towards alcohol and antidepressants is a bit appalling imho. I recently met a young man going through a crushing relationship break up. He was horrified when I suggested he might try antidepressants but admitted, with a grin, to increased drinking. Somehow drinking as a way of drowning our sorrows is okay but taking medication is not. Weird.

Redandy, let us know what you try and what works or doesn't.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

MmmmmHmmmm. IS a good thread. Thx for starting it...
Old 01-08-2016, 05:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hello. don't forget that!