Notices

Depakote?

Old 06-30-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depakote?

This goes along with my other thread I just posted, but had some specific questions I wanted to put separately. Does anyone have any experience with getting off of Depakote? When I started reading online I was surprised to see that a lot of places talked about it being addictive and hard to get off of. That was one of the big reasons I wanted to focus on getting off of it, because I don't think I need it and REALLY don't need another addictive substance in my life.

I just went down from 1000mg to 750mg. Being the way I am naturally, I'm essentially bracing myself watching for side effects in everything (though trying really hard to let it go and refocus on something else). Then as I wrote my last post I started thinking about how nervous I sounded and how anxiety is one of the withdrawal symptoms.

I think my biggest issue right now is that I'm starting this over my weekend, so I don't have my usual weekday routine to distract me. I figured it'd be good in case anything major happens, but too much time to think is never helpful for me.

I take Depakote at night, so this is my first day on the smaller dose. How early on would I start to feel effects from a lowered dose? Would I feel it on the first day or would it take longer for my body to notice it's not there? I've been on it for about 4 years now so there should be a lot in my system. I'm guessing the anxiety is that I've built this up in my head so much and I want it to work so badly. I really want to be ok on fewer meds so I'm overthinking it.

I hope this is all ok to post here...I could really use some feedback from people who have been there. Thanks!
Old 07-15-2015, 02:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Depakote is not "addictive" in the way street drugs, alcohol, benzos, and pain pills are. No one gets high off of Depakote. There is no recreational use. All psych meds, and beck ANY chronic prescription drug (ie blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds,etc) your body gets used to and you will have some side effects coming off them.

If you randomly stop taking blood pressure meds, chances are good your BP will spike. Higher than it probably was before. You can also have other side effects. Psych meds are no different and should be weaned under a dr's supervision.

Can I ask why you are on Depakote? If it's for bipolar I can pretty much guarantee your return of symptoms including spectacular mania and earth shattering depression. Depakote was orginally developed to treat seizures. Funny thing is that those drugs actually lower your seizure threshold so if you aren't careful getting yourself off it, you can have a seizure.

If your symptoms are well controlled now I encourage you to keep taking your meds. They are not addictive as you think. And the "I don't think I need them"? Famous last words. You are feeling well because they are working.