Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

Narcisstic spouse with a pill and alcohol addiction

Notices

Old 06-16-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I had needed to discuss something with him regarding our teenage daughter being invited to go out of town with a friend for a couple of days and this is a big deal because It would be the first time I've let her do something like this, and of course being married these our normally the kinda things one would discuss with their spouse and typically the two of you would make this decision together. He stood there as I was explaning all the details of who was going ,where they would be staying and never said a word and he sort of went on with what he was doing and so I just walked away scratching my head wandering why I even tried??? it was just so bizarre but then again so much of his behavior is bizarre nothing much surprises me anymore. I just wander if its NOT that he cares at all if she goes or not but its more about he is not going to be a part of making the decision or even giving his opinion because that way if anything goes wrong he can blame me for letting her go ?? which he will do that anyway but it seems like there is a connection between narcissism and decision making. If any one has any incite on this tell me what you think ?
Old 06-16-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think there's a big connection between addiction and being disconnected from reality. If he wants to blame you for something, he will find a way no matter what you do.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, he will that much I can be sure of
Old 06-16-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It may be time to adjust your expectations of your spouse. He has repeatedly shown you who he is, but you still seem surprised when he does not behave or respond like a non-addicted person. Only when you accept him for who he is, as opposed to who you wish he was or who you want him to be, can your life start to change.