Notices

25 mo sober. PAWS or BPD?

Old 03-29-2015, 12:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

25 mo sober. PAWS or BPD?

i have been sober from heroin and any other drugs or alcohol for about 25 mo. I have mood swings that fit bipolar. I went threw a lot of ups and downs after getting sober of course and didn't read too far into them knowing that PAWS was most likely going to effect me for some great deal of time after initial withdrawal.

But i still am going threw these cycles of up and down and i'm wondering if there is more to it then PAWS. I had issues with depression in my early teens before i ever abused any substances. I have an app with a dr. soon and should have probably been working with a dr. from the beginning however I'm nervous they may try to push for medication and I'm very hesitant on that idea so i wanted to give myself plenty of time to heal. IDK has anyone had a similar experience? I didn't get sober to be unbalanced i want to be healthy. And even though I can find acceptance to some degree that my moods fluctuate so much sometimes i fear its getting worse and its not the life i want for myself. I want stability.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by juzlikeaballoon View Post
I didn't get sober to be unbalanced i want to be healthy. And even though I can find acceptance to some degree that my moods fluctuate so much sometimes i fear its getting worse and its not the life i want for myself. I want stability.
I think seeing your Dr. is the best step you can take right now.

Even after 10 years of sobriety and being on anti-depressants for the first year, for me it'd be a stretch to say I have stability and I'm perfectly healthy.

It's a constant balancing act for me of living and working on my recovery. Meetings, healthy diet, fresh air, exercise, etc.

My therapist told me years ago to stop throwing my money at him and to try AA meetings because they made me happy. But that's just one of the many things that continue to give me as much stability as I can have.