Notices

Practical Meditation

Old 03-26-2015, 05:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Practical Meditation

I’ve been meditating off and on for a couple of months now, but not as consistently as I would like. Even just a little bit seems to help alleviate stress and symptoms of depression for me, and I’m interested in expanding and deepening my meditative practice. I know there are a number of others here on SR who meditate on a regular\semi-regular basis.

As for me, I am currently meditating anywhere from 15-45 minutes 3-4 times a week. This is either before I practice yoga or at night before I go to sleep. I like to use yoga nidra guided meditation recordings, but I’m open to trying other things. I think my biggest struggle right now is with staying still. I get the fidgets or my nose starts to itch. 

So if you’re meditating, what does your practice look like? What are your struggles? If you’re NOT meditating but interested in trying it, what are your questions\concerns?

Old 03-26-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Every morning after 1 coffee for 20 min. minimum and every evening b4 bed. Going on 4 yrs. but took off while binging for 7+ months. Complete opposing acts I suppose. I read more accesstoinsight stuff (Thai Forest tradition) but practice more Soto Zen. Am developing an interest in the archery and calligraphy of Zen Mountain Monastery. Evenings are hardest cuz everyone else is up (more distractions) but the challenge is good. Had to be a priority b4 it stuck and is really a small time investment (more the resistance to being still) for the payoff (huge).
Old 03-26-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, Anattaboy. I've just watched several Zen Archery videos on YouTube. It's beautiful. I also like the idea that anything done mindfully can be meditative.

Last edited by jerri11; 03-26-2015 at 03:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-15-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I’ve pulled away from SR a bit over the past few weeks, and spent more time reading and meditating.

Rc4dt1 recommended a book in another thread called 10% Happier by Dan Harris, which I just loved. That lead me to Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality without Religion by Sam Harris (no relation apparently). Both were influenced by Joseph Goldstein, a teacher with the Insight Meditation Society and his book Mindfulness: A Practical Guide to Awakening, which I’m still reading.

I have learned so much over the past few weeks! It’s pretty exciting actually. I’ve started to meditate for 30 minutes each morning, in addition to the yoga-style meditation that I do several times a week. Just that little bit is making a difference in how I’m able to cope with the ups and downs. It really does help.