Notices

Checking In/Does depression ever end???

Old 11-29-2014, 10:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking In/Does depression ever end???

I really, really wish I was checking in on a more positive note, but that is not the case. I myself am not an addict but my life has been affected in every way by this disease. However, tonight, I am posting about myself. I can not seem to get out of the depression I'm experiencing. I'm experiencing some serious/health related/pain issues, the recent loss of a job and a ten yr span that has included a divorce, the death of my only sibling to a drug overdose, my daughter and I having to live with my parents, who for lack of a better word are completely emotionally unavailable to me(this is an ongoing situation throughout my life) although they are very warm and loving towards my daughter, my best friend and former business partner moving over 3,000 miles away, I'm pretty much broke, and the list continues. In the past - I have always been really good about pulling myself through sad and hard times but I just can't this time. I can no longer afford therapy, I'm very scared of antidepressants even though my doc suggested them, and I'm really, really alone. I've isolated myself and pushed people away, my parents constantly put me down and call me a charity case etc. and try to play my daughter against me, and my only other friend moved away. I sound pathetic- I know I do, but I can't snap out of it. If I knew it wouldn't emotionally scar my daughter for life- I'd probably just disappear somehow. If anyone out there has any type of advice or success story about getting through feeling like this - I could really use it right now
Old 11-29-2014, 10:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry you are going through this smc.

The agony of feeling so alone. You're not alone here, as so many kind SR members have told me time and time again. I wish I could be more helpful, all I can say is I have gone through/am going through some of the same issues, and things can change for the better for you. Thinking of you.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Depression is very real and sometimes we can not just snap out of it. Medication can help. I was very depressed for a long time, finally got my meds balanced out. They are non narcotic. I still isolate but I like being alone, I enjoy my solitude. I hope you talk to a doctor. The meds could help.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Anti depressants are not exactly "non addictive".

Nobody should take SSRI antidepressants unless they know exactly what they are getting into. Informed consent for the SSRIs MUST include information concerning the difficulties related to stopping the drugs (withdrawal/discontinuation syndrome) as well as the symptoms that occur when starting the drugs. Also, patients who are considering stopping the drugs must also have informed consent concerning possible difficulties.

You can't exactly just stop SSRIs after taking them for a period of time without some possible serious consequences , so prior to making s a decision to take them, people are entitled to have a good idea of what can happen to them.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

P.S Science has never proven people feeling depression have "low serotonin" inside there brain, that is in terms of dollars is the greatest marketing scam in the history of mankind.

Aspirin relives headaches but people with headaches don't lack aspirin in there brains.

The rest of the informed consent is up to you to get.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by smc92va View Post
I really, really wish I was checking in on a more positive note, but that is not the case. I myself am not an addict but my life has been affected in every way by this disease. However, tonight, I am posting about myself. I can not seem to get out of the depression I'm experiencing. I'm experiencing some serious/health related/pain issues, the recent loss of a job and a ten yr span that has included a divorce, the death of my only sibling to a drug overdose, my daughter and I having to live with my parents, who for lack of a better word are completely emotionally unavailable to me(this is an ongoing situation throughout my life) although they are very warm and loving towards my daughter, my best friend and former business partner moving over 3,000 miles away, I'm pretty much broke, and the list continues. In the past - I have always been really good about pulling myself through sad and hard times but I just can't this time. I can no longer afford therapy, I'm very scared of antidepressants even though my doc suggested them, and I'm really, really alone. I've isolated myself and pushed people away, my parents constantly put me down and call me a charity case etc. and try to play my daughter against me, and my only other friend moved away. I sound pathetic- I know I do, but I can't snap out of it. If I knew it wouldn't emotionally scar my daughter for life- I'd probably just disappear somehow. If anyone out there has any type of advice or success story about getting through feeling like this - I could really use it right now

I think you need to get around some new people to get through this. Isolation wrecked me for a long wile.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this ?
Old 12-23-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Depression is very real. I saw its ugly face the last months. I resisted the idea of anti depressants for a long time. They saved my life. I saw a BBC documentary, it is possible to be on antidepressants for some time (a few years) then go back to normal. Also, it is possible to feel better, even if not the happiest person on Earth, it's possible for me to function now. Without anti depressants I just wanted to die. Don't be harsh - a doc told me, one has to get psychological, environmental and biological support to feel good. If one of these fails you can't expect to feel much better - hope you start walking towards better conditions in those 3 levels. There's nothing to fear about anti-depressants. There are many stories, but you write yours, if right now life is unbearable, I can't see how anti depressants will make it worse. At least, they can work for you to get your life back on track, motivation to move forward - that's what they have done for me. It doesn't mean you have to be on them forever, the documentary mentioned many people completely heal after a few years. I really hope you can see a doctor! It's a disease, get treatment and support- I understand how it feels- Hugs.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

The BBC documentary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W38l-Mf4qIc
Old 12-25-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you, Takingcharge999. Very well said.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Might want to look into Depression Fallout as well as true depression.

Antidepressants might just give you some space to get out of this. I've been on them a few times and never felt them "addictive" although I did have withdrawal.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

worth looking into

I too resisted anti-depressants. It took years for my sisters to convince me to give them a try. No, they are not without side effects, etc., but you may not want to rule them out. (The hardest part for me was that the medication took more than a month to "kick in")
Old 03-10-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sbforever View Post
P.S Science has never proven people feeling depression have "low serotonin" inside there brain, that is in terms of dollars is the greatest marketing scam in the history of mankind.

Aspirin relives headaches but people with headaches don't lack aspirin in there brains.

The rest of the informed consent is up to you to get.
Is your doctorate in biology?