Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Mental Health Issues > Mental Health
Reload this Page >

Anybody have experience with cranial electrotherapy?

Notices

Old 11-08-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi all, it's been a while since I've posted, been extremely depressed, meds don't work at all, doctor works even less, I wouldn't go back to her for a cold.

My drinking is very minimal, I realize I need to quit entirely but it's so darn hard when I feel like this.
However, I don't feel it's causing the depression right now because in 3 weeks I've drank once.

Anyway, after some research I'm considering purchasing one of those 'brain stimulators' for anxiety/depression (and it also works for insomnia & pain). I'm looking at the Fisher Wallace stimulator. It's quite expensive but I'm willing to try it if there's a good chance it could help me out of the darkness.
Any experiences?
Thanks
Old 11-08-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Before I started purchasing stuff off the internet, I'd find another doctor and get some professional advice. I certainly wouldn't be messing with my brain.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks
It's not really just something off the internet, it is FDA approved and is used by many doctors to treat anxiety/depression. Some insurance companies even cover it if it's prescribed for pain.
Anyway, was just hoping to get some feedback by anybody that has tried it.

Also, it took all of my courage and determination to make that apt for depression (I cried on the phone making it and the person on the other end was annoyed with me), and I was totally let down after the appt, I left feeling Worse.
Then the meds don't even work. Nobody from that office has called just to see how I'm doing (2 months later), they prescribed me a pill and threw me away basically. I'm pretty sure I am on my own to treat my depression. I won't ask for help anymore, it's too humiliating and I get no results.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jessie65 View Post
Thanks
It's not really just something off the internet, it is FDA approved and is used by many doctors to treat anxiety/depression. Some insurance companies even cover it if it's prescribed for pain.
Anyway, was just hoping to get some feedback by anybody that has tried it.

Also, it took all of my courage and determination to make that apt for depression (I cried on the phone making it and the person on the other end was annoyed with me), and I was totally let down after the appt, I left feeling Worse.
Then the meds don't even work. Nobody from that office has called just to see how I'm doing (2 months later), they prescribed me a pill and threw me away basically. I'm pretty sure I am on my own to treat my depression. I won't ask for help anymore, it's too humiliating and I get no results.
exercise depression - Google Search

Go exercise when depressed, I know its like a contradiction or something but the studies say it works best.

After 15 years of research on the depression-relieving effects of exercise, why are there still so many people on pills? The answer speaks volumes about our mental-health infrastructure and physician reimbursement system, as well as about how difficult it remains to decipher the nature of depression and what patients want from their doctors.

More >> http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...cation/284587/
Old 11-09-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I walk 4 miles a day (sometimes more), and use my weight machine for 15-20 minutes most days of the week.
On my darkest days however, I don't always walk.

I have some kind of tendonitis (possibly from walking a lot on uneven ground), so most nights after major walking I'm paying for it, which I think contributes to my depression. My feet swell awful, sometimes I can't put my sneakers on.

But anyway, just thought I'd try something different, was hoping to hear from anybody that has tried them.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I found a report on the MadInAmerica website about this.

Electronic Brain Stimulation Devices Catching On — But How Safe are They?

November 9, 2014

ScienceNews looks at the growing use of at-home, do-it-yourself electric brain stimulation devices to improve math or problem-solving skills or help lift depression.

ScienceNews describes the devices and their effects in comparison to those of antidepressants, trans-cranial magnetic stimulation and electro-convulsive therapy.

“In a 2013 paper in the Journal of Neuroscience, Cohen Kadosh and a colleague reported that the math gains people experienced from experimental stimulation weakened a different math skill,” reports ScienceNews, while quoting Kadosh saying, “We can improve one function but it comes at the cost of another function.”

Electronic Brain Stimulation Devices Catching On -- But How Safe are They? | Mad In America
Old 11-11-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Exercise - if walking is uncomfortable, how about biking, or stationary bike, or swimming or water aerobics classes? I find the pool to be the most relaxing and therapeutic thing ever.

Or how about kayaking? Horseback lessons? Volunteering? If I spend too much time in my head it gets to be a dangerous place. Volunteering is great because there is always someone who needs help and it's good to help count my blessings and feel gratitude when I realize how lucky I am.