Notices

good if you suffer from depression

Old 10-05-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

good if you suffer from depression

i have suffered from horrible depression in my life..

this is a great video..better then anything i heard from a therapist..for depression or substance abuse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdNSkzT6UHE
Old 10-05-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is one of my favorite public talks I've heard about someone's experience with depression, treatment, and recovery. It's not really about giving advice, but the speaker tells his story and discusses both the history and application to his case of ECT therapy in a really engaging, authentic way. I find it inspirational.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEZrAGdZ1i8
Old 10-05-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

why do you bring up ECT? did you have a treatment? they prescribe it to a lot of people now. I don't personally believe in it as I know a few people who have had many treatments and had no long term success. I'm not depressed right now..
Old 10-05-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iggy24 View Post
why do you bring up ECT? did you have a treatment? they prescribe it to a lot of people now. I don't personally believe in it as I know a few people who have had many treatments and had no long term success. I'm not depressed right now..
No, I did not have it myself. I work with a few psychiatrists and especially one specializes in ECT and has a lot of experience with it in his practice. He claims quite a lot of success with it. One of his patients is a friend of mine; she found ECT helpful. Of course it won't work for everyone, just like certain antidepressant meds or other forms of treatment don't work for everyone. I posted it mostly because I like how the speaker tells his experience; whenever I see public talks about depression, this pops up in my mind. I am not depressed either now and don't have a life-long history, but was depressed in the past when I was drinking heavily and had a severe episode once. I always feel for everyone who suffers from depression, it was definitely one of the most difficult states I'd been in.

Glad to hear you are doing well now