Notices

Prazosin

Old 08-02-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Prazosin

Has anyone ever been on prazosin for insomnia and nightmares? It's supposed to block some of the effects of adrenaline to help you stay calm and not have nightmares, and it's supposed to be helpful for ppl with PTSD. I've been on it a few weeks now and have had way more way more vivid nightmares than I have in a long time! It could be coincidence, but I don't have anything else going on that I can think of that would cause this. Usually now my nightmares are more just waking up feeling stressed, out of breath, etc. but not necessarily remembering what I was dreaming about. But since the prazosin they've been super intense, vivid, and I can remember them exactly when I wake up.

I've been doing some research and can't find anything about it causing nightmares though. Only that it's supposed to stop them. So I'm hoping to find someone who has some experience with it or knowledge about it. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2017, 12:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Older post I was glad to see

Originally Posted by Riverbird View Post
Has anyone ever been on prazosin for insomnia and nightmares? It's supposed to block some of the effects of adrenaline to help you stay calm and not have nightmares, and it's supposed to be helpful for ppl with PTSD. I've been on it a few weeks now and have had way more way more vivid nightmares than I have in a long time! It could be coincidence, but I don't have anything else going on that I can think of that would cause this. Usually now my nightmares are more just waking up feeling stressed, out of breath, etc. but not necessarily remembering what I was dreaming about. But since the prazosin they've been super intense, vivid, and I can remember them exactly when I wake up.

I've been doing some research and can't find anything about it causing nightmares though. Only that it's supposed to stop them. So I'm hoping to find someone who has some experience with it or knowledge about it. Thanks!

I just saw This post after searching Google for use of this medication and vivid dreams . I thought I was going bat **** crazy but apparently I'm not the only one !
Old 02-23-2017, 12:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome xoxopoet

D
Old 02-23-2017, 04:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi xoxo,

I tried it for insomnia and didn't work for me. I didn't have the nightmare part, but I didn't have that to begin with. It was supposed to help me stay asleep but it did not.

Welcome to the sight and good luck!
Old 05-24-2017, 01:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My psychologist has asked my psycyatrist to prescribe this for me and I plan to start it in a few days, after my cardiologist lets me know if it is ok with my other conditions.

It was recommended as an aid for my night terrors. I also don't sleep well or consistently right now. I was told that what should happen is that I should be able to resolve the nightmare in a positive way instead of waking up screaming. (Last week was bad and my son came up to check on me with a hammer in hand and a phone ready to call 911).

I would love to hear from anyone else struggling with night terrors from PTSD. I might start a new thread...