Notices

Addiction is NOT a disease

Old 06-12-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addiction is NOT a disease

The notion that addiction is a disease started decades ago. The drug treatment facilities which have cropped up and increased the bottom line in insurance companies, and private organizations is the real reason behind the disease model. The science is absolutely unsound, and the apologists for poor decision making in addicts is highly immoral.

I take a stand against the naive apologists, who unwittingly enable addicts through their choice of language used to describe addiction, and their recovery philosophy. It is pure rationalization that doing away with the social stigma in addiction is more beneficial to the community, than calling it out exactly as it is. I do NOT lack compassion in stating my stance, I reason my way through the need to enable.

Addiction is not a disease

Addiction is Not a Brain Disease (and it Matters)

Addiction Is Not A Disease Of The Brain : 13.7: Cosmos And Culture : NPR

It should be painfully obvious to anyone with intact critical thinking skills, that addiction is ALWAYS a choice, and that the addict is RATIONAL in their choice. The key difference in an addict, is their hierarchy of VALUES. They may claim to value otherwise, but their actions do not lie as the lips do.

In CHOOSING to go to AA, the addict is making a CHOICE. In CHOOSING to seek out a drug, complex planning often occurs. In CHOOSING to repeatedly lie in order to continue the lifestyle, HIGH WILLPOWER and brainpower is used. It's energy intensive to be an addict. They CHOOSE to self-destruct. The common link is thought disorder, complicated BUT NOT CAUSED by addiction itself.

If you look to the supposed science of addiction as a disease, it shows structural and functional changes compared to controls, HOWEVER this is not outside the normal range of variation. In addition, structural and functional changes in the brain are noticed in a wide variety of habits not thought of as pathological, or classified as a "disease". In each instance, an addict CHOOSES to continue on, and CHOOSES to compound their problems.

I deny the "compulsion" nonsense of drug addiction. It's absolutely not compulsive, as there is quite a deal of thought put into the act. It is not a mere momentary lapse of reason, the actual act of choosing to seek, find funds, find source, contact, get tools needed for administration, and calculating the dose within the funds available to last for a given period of time, is clear indication of a lack of "compulsion" and instead, rational thought processes occurring in relation to one's valued habits, however maladaptive society may see them as.

The stigma brought about by various labels conjuring up negative connotations is absolutely appropriate, and once seen as the moral way of addressing the issue. Stigmatization leads to shame, eventually, which disables the thought-disordered, and may lead to a restructuring in hierarchy of values, ie change in habits, over time.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Okay then! Thanks!

I am a recovering alcoholic. I don't really need to know the why or the how, just the acceptance that I am. Once I got that out of the way I could move on to the recovery part.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
Okay then! Thanks!

I am a recovering alcoholic. I don't really need to know the why or the how, just the acceptance that I am. Once I got that out of the way I could move on to the recovery part.
If you knew why and how, you wouldn't be in recovery. You'd be realized as beyond the need for any such boxed style of thinking.

Being "in recovery" implies an acceptance that "relapse" may be in your future. I just don't see that as wise.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Okay, Thanks!
Old 06-12-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You're welcome, buddy. Hope you do well within your system (no sarcasm, serious).
Old 06-12-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow. Well I see you feel strongly about this subject. I do not share your passion. But I love love love passionate posts! I don't know if it is or isn't. So why are you so sure about this?
Old 06-12-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Cui bono

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...ticle-1.992267

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/06/...treatment-biz/

http://www.thefix.com/content/opioid...-approval91438

http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-pri...f-slavery/8289

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...r-drug-crimes/

You create a "war on drugs" control all sides where energy is exchanged to fund clandestine projects, and further divide and conquer, prioritizing oppression based on group ideals. In conjunction, you give pals private prison contracts (just like our other outsourced infrastructure, like toll roads), and allow the promotion of a "disease" ie, no win model, which requires medicalization indefinitely, guess who benefits from that, BIG PHARMA.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

You forgot the part "In my opinion"....
Old 06-12-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Perhaps you should ask yourself why you're so angry about recovery. If you don't want recovery then don't go, it's that simple.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Bran I have an attention span that prevents me from opening fb videos longer than 20 seconds. Give me your opinion.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Try18 View Post
You forgot the part "In my opinion"....
It is the opinion of apologists, that drug addiction is a disease, due to the belief in a variety of logical fallacies which are stated ad nauseum.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
Perhaps you should ask yourself why you're so angry about recovery. If you don't want recovery then don't go, it's that simple.
I don't go, and I'm frustrated at the lack of efficacy in treatment of addiction due to the continued ignorance of the general public. When anger is properly channeled, it can be a social good.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I call my addiction to alcohol an illness
which made me extremely sick affecting
my mind, body and soul. Whether it is
called a disease, illness or candy, it is still
something that affects many people.

Thru no choice of my own I enter recovery
thru a rehab facility that taught me about
my addiction and presented me a way out
of my misery with incorporating a recovery
program of AA consisting of steps and principles
into my everyday life.

I am aware that there are other recovery
programs available to all who chooses to use
them in their own lives. I was not introduced
to them, but would never turn down a program
that would help anyone to achieve sobriety.

Knowledge is very powerful and can be
very beneficial to anyone willing to use it.

IMO as always.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Why is this in the mental health forum?

Plenty of people really struggling with serious mental health and addiction issues looking for help round these parts.

Not sure how yet another pointless debate about the disease theory is helping anyone...
Old 06-12-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Rarely have we seen a person fail who has
thoroughly follow our or a path of recovery.

Because of living a path of recovery I achieved
Honesty which opened a door to a freedom I had
never known before.

...and I aint gonna give that gift up for nut'n.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That's correct, it is their business
Old 06-12-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well I find it interesting that you feel so strongly about your belief. Are you that way about everything?
Old 06-12-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Raider, beliefs imply a lack of evidence. I have provided many links, and could easily increase that by two orders of magnitude if need be. I don't think it's reasonable for you to say I have a "belief" without doing the necessary research first.

I am highly passionate in all my stances against the parasites who prey on the weak minded.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

So what are you doing to change the world of recovery? When can we expect your revolution?
Old 06-12-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I personally know 50+ people with double digit sobriety. I will inform them of your research. I am sure they need to know that they have been doing it wrong all these years.