Notices

OCD and depression

Old 05-21-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OCD and depression

My OCD and depression are pretty awful today. Mostly my OCD with my obsessive thoughts that I can't seem to let go. I hate being this way I find myself always comparing myself to others and looking at other peoples life's and assuming they have it better then me. I'm having cravings to drink I really want to but I don't want to let myself down. I'm just looking for advice or support
Old 05-21-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you have been sober awhile, I think you should see a dr. If not, this is probably withdrawals???? May be best to see a dr no matter what.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I haven't been sober for awhile so it could be
Old 06-04-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Based on something I was just reading, OCD, bruxism, restless leg syndrome, and alcoholism appear to be related to low dopamine levels, or low dopamine receptors. Creative people in particular are susceptible. I have all of the above conditions so hopefully they're onto something. Not sure what the solution is yet, but knowledge is power .
Old 06-13-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovesymphony View Post
Based on something I was just reading, OCD, bruxism, restless leg syndrome, and alcoholism appear to be related to low dopamine levels, or low dopamine receptors. Creative people in particular are susceptible. I have all of the above conditions so hopefully they're onto something. Not sure what the solution is yet, but knowledge is power .
I am interested in that reading. I have OCD (diagnosed), bruxism (over the years I've cracked 2 molars), and alcoholism (recovering) and love to create.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Try comparing yourself to yourself. Otherwise you're comparing your insides with someone's outside, not valid at all. Are you in a program? Have a good doctor?
Old 06-13-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gettingbetter64 View Post
I hate being this way I find myself always comparing myself to others and looking at other peoples life's and assuming they have it better then me. I'm having cravings to drink I really want to but I don't want to let myself down. I'm just looking for advice or support
First, get off of facebook . I know, I'm making an assumption here, but facebook messes a lot of people up. People can make their lives look quite spectacular, and more often than not that's not quite the deal. If it truly were, IMO, they wouldn't have to be posting about it every 20 minutes.

Something I still have to remind myself is to not compare other people's outsides, with my insides.

Regarding the depression and OCD, there's lots and lots of things we can do to help with that. Lots of posts here on depression too. We absolutely need to take action though. I'm quite certain these things don't heal themselves. For me AA and the 12 steps were the path to healing. Others find other routes, I'm happy that at the time I got sober I really didn't have any other choice. It forced me to many things that at the time I didn't want to, and if given other choices probably wouldn't have. I'm extremely happy with the way my sober life has turned out.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
Try comparing yourself to yourself. Otherwise you're comparing your insides with someone's outside, not valid at all. Are you in a program? Have a good doctor?

I'm not in a program at the moment. I don't know if I'm ready for that. I like the comparing myself to myself I'm going to try that.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
First, get off of facebook . I know, I'm making an assumption here, but facebook messes a lot of people up. People can make their lives look quite spectacular, and more often than not that's not quite the deal. If it truly were, IMO, they wouldn't have to be posting about it every 20 minutes. Something I still have to remind myself is to not compare other people's outsides, with my insides. Regarding the depression and OCD, there's lots and lots of things we can do to help with that. Lots of posts here on depression too. We absolutely need to take action though. I'm quite certain these things don't heal themselves. For me AA and the 12 steps were the path to healing. Others find other routes, I'm happy that at the time I got sober I really didn't have any other choice. It forced me to many things that at the time I didn't want to, and if given other choices probably wouldn't have. I'm extremely happy with the way my sober life has turned out.

I've been off Facebook for about a week and deleted my Instagram I'm done with social media. Anyone can pretend online they have a perfect life I've talked to people in person who act like that. The longer I stay without alcohol my obsessive thoughts and depression lesson A LOT. Go figure
Old 06-14-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

use this

Originally Posted by gettingbetter64 View Post
My OCD and depression are pretty awful today. Mostly my OCD with my obsessive thoughts that I can't seem to let go. I hate being this way I find myself always comparing myself to others and looking at other peoples life's and assuming they have it better then me. I'm having cravings to drink I really want to but I don't want to let myself down. I'm just looking for advice or support
Here you are,will you please use this :

Battlefield Of The Mind Pt. 1 - YouTube
Old 06-14-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Once I unfriended everyone that triggered my desire to drink and blocked and deleted those people off my phone I noticed my IBSC, itty bitty sh!tty committee - AKA those stinking thinking thoughts that say stuff like "why me? Why can't I drink? Why does everyone else in the world get to have fun and I am condemned to being sober for the rest of my life?" - those thoughts are much quieter now. They didn't go away, but I don't need to put up with reminders of an old life of self destruction. My recovery is the most important thing in the universe to me and I will do what ever it takes to protect my sobriety.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bookmaven View Post
Once I unfriended everyone that triggered my desire to drink and blocked and deleted those people off my phone I noticed my IBSC, itty bitty sh!tty committee - AKA those stinking thinking thoughts that say stuff like "why me? Why can't I drink? Why does everyone else in the world get to have fun and I am condemned to being sober for the rest of my life?" - those thoughts are much quieter now. They didn't go away, but I don't need to put up with reminders of an old life of self destruction. My recovery is the most important thing in the universe to me and I will do what ever it takes to protect my sobriety.

IBSC I'm familiar with that lol. I've blocked numbers with toxic "friends" that made me feel completely worthless and made me want to use even more. I'm much happier knowing certain people can't contact me and that I don't have social media.