Notices

Depression/Anxiety

Old 05-10-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression/Anxiety

A big reason I realized I needed to stop drinking was because my mental health was really declining. My depression and anxiety got so much more worse especially my anxiety/OCD/intrusive thoughts/paranoia. All of those things were getting so bad I didn't want to be around anyone(that's when there the worst). I'm only on day 4(I have had many day 4s). In my experience all of my depression and anxiety issues have gotten SO Much Better I have a clear mind,I don't feel sad for no reason,I'm not angry, I don't feel paranoid. My intrusive thoughts are slowly fading away and becoming less and less. My OCD seems to be also fading away slowly. I can exercise and be productive and really feel good about myself without alcohol. I wanted to post this for anyone struggling with any of these issues, it gets so much better
Old 05-10-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gettingbetter64 View Post
A big reason I realized I needed to stop drinking was because my mental health was really declining. My depression and anxiety got so much more worse especially my anxiety/OCD/intrusive thoughts/paranoia. All of those things were getting so bad I didn't want to be around anyone(that's when there the worst). I'm only on day 4(I have had many day 4s). In my experience all of my depression and anxiety issues have gotten SO Much Better I have a clear mind,I don't feel sad for no reason,I'm not angry, I don't feel paranoid. My intrusive thoughts are slowly fading away and becoming less and less. My OCD seems to be also fading away slowly. I can exercise and be productive and really feel good about myself without alcohol. I wanted to post this for anyone struggling with any of these issues, it gets so much better
I'm very glad that you are feeling a bit more at ease. I will post this to myself
Old 05-10-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you I still have a long way to go, it's not going to be easy but it will be worth it.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm only on Day 25 (I've had many of these also).. I am completely ate up with anxiety to the point I'm climbing the walls and driving my wife crazy. I wish I could just calm down. I am Bipolar 2 and it seems like this is the point where I really want to self medicate. I went to a noon meeting and called my sponsor, but I still don't feel better. I just wanted to identify with you and vent some of my frustration. Thanks
Old 05-10-2014, 04:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by todd6138 View Post
I'm only on Day 25 (I've had many of these also).. I am completely ate up with anxiety to the point I'm climbing the walls and driving my wife crazy. I wish I could just calm down. I am Bipolar 2 and it seems like this is the point where I really want to self medicate. I went to a noon meeting and called my sponsor, but I still don't feel better. I just wanted to identify with you and vent some of my frustration. Thanks

No matter how bad things are or get self medicating is never the answer. Go to another meeting if you can, try to get some exercise that might help calm you down. Just think about how good you will feel about yourself if you don't give in tonight and use. Congrats on 25 days that's awesome you should be proud of yourself
Old 05-11-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The brain and psyche have so much healing to do after years of abuse.

Please stay clean and sober and in touch with us.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Gettingbetter64, thank you for this FANTASTIC thread. I'm always angry and have wondered why. For years now I haven't been under any threats from any quarter in my life. When I read the words "intrusive thoughts" I quickly realized that's what they are, they just bust right into my consciousness and always negative. I googled intrusive thoughts and in the first website I opened I found this.

Intrusive thoughts are ego-dystonic. This means they’re the very opposite of your character. You have these thoughts because you DON’T want them because they’re everything you’re against morally and as a result you’re perceiving them as threatening, so your brain flags them as important.
I really get emotionally upset about things I don't like and give them to much importance, even trivial stuff. It went on further to say it is an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, OCD. I don't know if I would have ever considered myself to be an OCD type of person had I not have read your initial post. Again, thank you, it pays to read peoples threads, rootin for everyone.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by neferkamichael View Post
Gettingbetter64, thank you for this FANTASTIC thread. I'm always angry and have wondered why. For years now I haven't been under any threats from any quarter in my life. When I read the words "intrusive thoughts" I quickly realized that's what they are, they just bust right into my consciousness and always negative. I googled intrusive thoughts and in the first website I opened I found this. I really get emotionally upset about things I don't like and give them to much importance, even trivial stuff. It went on further to say it is an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, OCD. I don't know if I would have ever considered myself to be an OCD type of person had I not have read your initial post. Again, thank you, it pays to read peoples threads, rootin for everyone.

Thank you I'm glad I could help, I've read a lot of articles about intrusive thoughts and the one thing I always kept on seeing is that it's the complete opposite of what you would want. If you wanted certain things to happen or to have certain thoughts they wouldn't be called intrusive thoughts. I've had them for a little over a year. I also read that majority of people have them from time to time even if they don't have OCD or anxiety issues. Take care