Notices

Ptsd

Old 02-15-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ptsd

Let's just say - my therapist told me I've been through more hell than anyone she's ever known, and that I am a strong person.

Yet I think my "strength" wasn't enough - I became an alcoholic, drinking and drinking to keep me from ever having to deal with things. Yes, I am new here and it might be frowned upon I don't know - but yes, I really do blame my abusive family for my alcoholism.

Not that I dwell on that because it won't help at all, in fact it could screw thing up sobriety-wise if I thought about it. But just wondering, do other people feel the same way? Does everyone think it's something you were born with, or could it be something you did to overcome the pain, that got out of control?
Old 02-16-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by volcano View Post
Does everyone think it's something you were born with, or could it be something you did to overcome the pain, that got out of control?
Cystic Fibrosis is something you are born with. Sickle cell anemia is also disease passed down through families.

Both these conditions are inherited in an autosomal recessive pattern, which means both copies of the gene in each cell have mutations. The parents of an individual with an autosomal recessive condition each carry one copy of the mutated gene, but they typically do not show signs and symptoms of the condition.

Couples who are pregnant or planning a pregnancy can have themselves tested for the CFTR gene mutations to determine the risk that their child will be born with cystic fibrosis.

DNA testing, allows the genetic diagnosis of vulnerabilities to inherited diseases, and can also be used to determine a child's parentage (genetic mother and father) or in general a person's ancestry.

I don't think alcoholism is genetic because there is no proof that it is. Read what the 'fine print' in the studies tell you: "suggests," "may" and "it is hoped."

Being Democrat or Republican also runs in families. It "may" be genetic I guess or maybe "it is hoped" by some people.

I would love to bust that "born alcoholic" myth forever.

PTSD in childhood caused me to like the effects of alcohol and then continued use of alcohol made me alcoholic. I remember, I was there. I remember drinking before the T in PTSD and not caring for it much. It just made me feel different as opposed to much better.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have you read the big book of Alcoholics Anonymous ?

It explains alcoholism better than anything else out there including how resentments are the worst thing for alcoholics trying to stay sober. I have resentments towards the PTSD things.

AA History - What Does The BigBook Say About Resentment?

It really took me a wile to get all this stuff.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In the past, I blamed everyone else as well for my problems. The truth is, its my own fault. I dont get into that debate about if your born with it or not. Maybe you are, maybe you arent, who knows. Probably both sides going on there. I had to get down to the nitty gritty about why I drank. I drink because I am an alcoholic. I like the effect produced by alcohol. I want to change the way I feel. I have a disease called alcoholism. If the American Medical Association says its a disease, and they 100% do, then I am not going to argue with that organization. They are smarter then this here ****** (me).
Old 02-19-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
In the past, I blamed everyone else as well for my problems. The truth is, its my own fault. I dont get into that debate about if your born with it or not. Maybe you are, maybe you arent, who knows. Probably both sides going on there. I had to get down to the nitty gritty about why I drank. I drink because I am an alcoholic. I like the effect produced by alcohol. I want to change the way I feel. I have a disease called alcoholism. If the American Medical Association says its a disease, and they 100% do, then I am not going to argue with that organization. They are smarter then this here ****** (me).
You are right, I can't sit back and blame them. This is how I chose to deal with what they did to me. Would be nicer not to have to blame myself Guess I could have done worse, eh? Thanks
Old 02-19-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't know much about PTSD, but I do know a lot of people self-medicate to deal with mental illness, myself included. I drank to drown out my anxiety and depression. But it didn't help. And I found psychiatrists didn't want to work with an alcoholic, because there's no point while someone is drinking. When I got sober, I could get help. Sometimes I still struggle, and sometimes diving into oblivion for a while sounds good. But I don't because I want to be well. I have to be responsible for my actions despite my emotional state.

I'm sorry you got dealt those cards, but I'm glad you're getting help! A lot of people here have been through tough situations and traumas, so I hope you can find your place here. If alcohol is a problem, maybe try posting in the alcoholism forum. It seems like it gets a bit more traffic; you might get more responses.