Notices

Nightmares

Old 02-07-2014, 02:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nightmares

Does anyone else have problems with nightmares? Everything else has been going well with my treatment for depression/anxiety but I wake up feeling really drained in the morning after really vivid dreams. They are really detailed and go on for what feels like forever...

I spoke to GP and he said it could be a side effect of either Citalopram (Celexa), Propranalol or both and the only remedy he could suggest was a change of medication. Having just reached a stable place and starting a new job that's the last thing I want to do at the moment.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had experienced this? I can go to bed feeling really positive about everything but wake up with the weight of the world on my shoulders.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"I have been on citalopram since May this year. I started on 20mg and now I have been on 40mg for 5 weeks. I have survived the worst of the side effects from the dose increase but the nightmares are slowly driving me mad! I had a short lived problem with crazy dreams when I started cit but nothing like this!

I am now having 4 to 5 really vivid memorable and some times terrifying dreams every night. I wake up after each one trying to puzzle out what on earth I have just been dreaming about and often as they are so realistic trying to figure out if it was a memory or just a dream! According to my husband I am now twitching/thrashing/talking and once even singing during my dreams! I am waking up completely exhausted and go to bed with great trepidation every night. If the dreams are good they are incredible in their detail but if they are scary"

Read more,

Citalopram Celexa nightmares - Google Search

Originally Posted by Nightswimming View Post
the only remedy he could suggest was a change of medication..
They never suggest getting off meds as they would put themselves out of business.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Used to. Childhood trauma.

(finally) got THAT worked on and the Nightmares ALL stopped.

I have to think back about them now. For YEARS they seemed a "normal" (haha, that seems funny) part of life.

Never did any meds. I was and am scared of them
Old 02-07-2014, 10:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've had nightmares for years. Not on either of the meds you mentioned. Don't know if my meds are part of the cause of my nightmares or not, because prior to the meds I really wasn't sleeping. At least not in any meaningful amounts. I wasn't doing much of anything other than getting drunk and going perpetually crazier until I nearly died. I don't miss that, and personally I'll take some nightmares if that's what it takes to be otherwise (more or less) sane.

I know the root cause of my nightmares is trauma. I've worked through the during the day flashbacks type stuff, but I don't know what to do about night because I can't make use of the tools that I've learned (refocusing, prayer, mindfulness, talking to people, etc.) if I'm asleep. I really really relate to what you said: "I can go to bed feeling really positive about everything but wake up with the weight of the world on my shoulders." That is so me, and sometimes it takes the whole day if not longer to regroup!
Old 02-07-2014, 11:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Riverbird View Post
I've had nightmares for years. Not on either of the meds you mentioned. Don't know if my meds are part of the cause of my nightmares or not, because prior to the meds I really wasn't sleeping. At least not in any meaningful amounts. I wasn't doing much of anything other than getting drunk and going perpetually crazier until I nearly died. I don't miss that, and personally I'll take some nightmares if that's what it takes to be otherwise (more or less) sane.

I know the root cause of my nightmares is trauma. I've worked through the during the day flashbacks type stuff, but I don't know what to do about night because I can't make use of the tools that I've learned (refocusing, prayer, mindfulness, talking to people, etc.) if I'm asleep. I really really relate to what you said: "I can go to bed feeling really positive about everything but wake up with the weight of the world on my shoulders." That is so me, and sometimes it takes the whole day if not longer to regroup!
Never did see much help from Alcohol, etc.

Shifting sleep patterns did seem help in "season," as did shifting locations. If the nightmares do not know where to find you, it gives you some standoff advantage.

Working on recovery boards, like here, helped some. Had to do real therapy to finally get it all done. Sort of like a "Go back and touch the pain/feeling thing." Was strange. It was just cold. Ice cold and dark. Not what I would have expected. But after that started towards normal feelings and emotions. Still kind of emotionally ********, but Much Better.

Would seriously recommend that, if you can.

Even One Day of being better is worth it.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Never did see much help from Alcohol, etc.

Shifting sleep patterns did seem help in "season," as did shifting locations. If the nightmares do not know where to find you, it gives you some standoff advantage.

Working on recovery boards, like here, helped some. Had to do real therapy to finally get it all done. Sort of like a "Go back and touch the pain/feeling thing." Was strange. It was just cold. Ice cold and dark. Not what I would have expected. But after that started towards normal feelings and emotions. Still kind of emotionally ********, but Much Better.

Would seriously recommend that, if you can.

Even One Day of being better is worth it.
I have tried therapy many, many times with no luck so far. I keep trying because I hear many stories of success, but thus far that has not been the case for me. So far I've seen 9 different therapists, all of which have fallen through. Some have been my fault...some were circumstances entirely out of my control...others were a mix of both. Currently I'm not opposed to the idea but really don't know where else to turn. Every time I try I pour myself in to it and end up coming out worse because it stirs everything up and leaves me feeling even more broken. I've made tons of progress through AA and working with my sponsor. That's how I've dealt with the daytime stuff and in that regard I'm a whole new person. For now that's what I'm comfortable with, as my last attempt at therapy just ended a couple of weeks ago and I'm not yet ready to try again.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Have to tell what I tracked from the PTSD recovery boards.

UNTIL you are ready -- You Just ARE NOT Ready.

And that is nothing against you being willing or whatever.

Maybe sort of like a broken leg or something -- until the bone has started to heal and grow, you just cannot cut off the cast and try to walk. Sometimes this stuff just takes time-and-distance.

You will likely have to feel the pain. Part of what the Drugs and Alcohol stuff does is numb the pain. So maybe just be patient with you. When you are ready, you will be ready.

You know how to do 11th Step type work on this stuff?
Old 02-08-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nightswinning did you have nightmares before the meds? I didn't, but had very vivid ones on celexa. My doctor switched me to Lexapro the nightmares ended and it worked just as well. Have you been on Lexapro? My doctor said it's very similar to celexa. I don't know if that would help or not but it worked for me. I guess it's best to check with your Doctor.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Have to tell what I tracked from the PTSD recovery boards.

UNTIL you are ready -- You Just ARE NOT Ready.

And that is nothing against you being willing or whatever.

Maybe sort of like a broken leg or something -- until the bone has started to heal and grow, you just cannot cut off the cast and try to walk. Sometimes this stuff just takes time-and-distance.

You will likely have to feel the pain. Part of what the Drugs and Alcohol stuff does is numb the pain. So maybe just be patient with you. When you are ready, you will be ready.

You know how to do 11th Step type work on this stuff?

I guess it's a matter of how to know when I'm ready. I keep feeling so certain that I am, and then I try and it goes bad. I had a lot of luck with my addictions counselor and my (outpatient) treatment group, so after that ended I tried a different group therapy. That was too intense for me so I took a break. Then last spring I was sure I was ready to try again...didn't work but I found someone different. Again was sure I was ready to try again. That's the one that really really went bad and made me swear off therapy all together because it hurt me so deeply. But then the problem became that it hurt me so deeply I felt like I needed to try again to prove to myself that not every experience would be like that...and that I wasn't broken beyond repair and there were ppl that would work with me and etc., etc. Unfortunately I have yet to find someone who will work with me beyond a session or two, so that whole idea of proving to myself otherwise isn't working too well! lol So I guess I'm taking a break again and just continuing to work with my sponsor...but I know my sponsor really wants me in therapy (though she understands why I'm taking a break after the really bad experience that really hurt me). She works with others through another fellowship who are a lot like me and have done very well in therapy, so she thinks that's what I need. And I think she's probably right because I'm probably dumping on her more than is fair. I know it's a lot for someone who hasn't been there to hear about my nightmares and flashbacks and everything else.

I know I've done a lot to numb the pain over the years. One of my big resentments now is that I'm just now realizing that I really haven't lived for most of my life. I'm working on a 4th step and realized that all of my resentments are either from childhood or from the very recent past since I've been sober. I basically emotionally checked out somewhere in childhood (probably when I started drinking, but not just because of the alcohol), and didn't wake back up until a while after I got sober. I had some exciting, fun events in my life over the years so it's not like I did nothing, but I had no emotional connection to any of it because my emotions just stopped. Now they're waking up and I'm learning how to feel again, but yeah sometimes it really hurts to allow that stuff back in again. It reminds me why I so badly wanted to be numb! lol I do miss the quick fix sometimes, but most of the time I'm actually grateful that I'm able to feel through the flashback or whatever else, because once I feel them they actually go away for real...rather than just staying there stuck right under the surface. So I don't know if that means I'm ready because I want to feel stuff, or not ready because I need more practice at it first. I really don't know why therapists won't see me. I mean I used to sabotage on purpose (or at least it was partially on purpose), but now I try my best and it still falls apart. Maybe some deep down part of me is still sabotaging. Anyway sorry Nightswimming I'm kinda stealing your post here with my own stuff so I'll stop here.

Hammer I'm not sure what you mean by 11th step work related to this stuff.