Notices

first real drinking dream: heavy

Old 02-04-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

first real drinking dream: heavy

I'm going to assume that since this is an actual forum that what I'm going to describe is common, but, wow, it was intense. I had a dream that I was drinking and heavily buzzed. I've been sober for about 2 months (I stopped counting-I like it better), and sleep has been an issue, but I've noticed a change in the last week or so-I'm sleeping better. Well, last night I dreamed that I was drinking. I tasted it. I felt it go down. I felt my face get numb. I felt my head buzzing. I was SURE that it was real. So sure that I got bumbed in my dream and started mentally adjusting to the fact that I had drank and now needed to make sure that it wasn't going to happen again. It was SO real. I actually was shocked when I woke up that it was not real. I wondered if I had got booze in my sleep, for a few seconds. I don't know, I don't really have any questions, I just wanted to share this experience. I hope I don't have too many of these.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have had the exact same experience. Even felt tremendous guilt for awhile after waking. Then relief, because it was just a dream.

Congrats on two months.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ah yes, this pops up quite often on the forum. Spooky, aren't they? In the early months my drinking dreams were so realistic it would have me shaken for hours after waking up!

The way it was explained to me is that when you stop drinking, there are a lot of neurological pathways that stop getting stimulated - think of a 4-lane highway that all of a sudden has no traffic. While we sleep, our brains are busy building and digging, making new roads to travel...but every once in a while, we take a wrong turn and get back on that same old highway for a minute.

Don't worry, they'll become less and less frequent.

Oh, and BTW: there are a million things we'd like to have realistic dreams about...why is drinking the only one that we ever get???
Old 03-12-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have drinking dreams almost nightly. I am usually in a social gathering and am hiding bottles in backpacks, under beds....and am drinking when no one is looking...it makes sense to me since my family doesnt know I have a problem. I findbthesw dreams to be highly symbolic. It stinks cuz not only do I wake ip hungover, and with the guilt of "what the heck did I post on facebook last night" but I also have the guilt from the dream. Its an never-ending nightmare.