Notices

Delayed sleep-phase disorder (DSPD)

Old 12-11-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Delayed sleep-phase disorder (DSPD)

Delayed sleep-phase disorder (DSPD), also known as delayed sleep-phase syndrome (DSPS) or delayed sleep-phase type (DSPT), is a circadian rhythm sleep disorder affecting the timing of sleep, peak period of alertness, the core body temperature rhythm, hormonal and other daily rhythms, compared to the general population and relative to societal requirements. People with DSPD generally fall asleep some hours after midnight and have difficulty waking up in the morning.

Affected people often report that while they do not get to sleep until the early morning, they do fall asleep around the same time every day.

Some people with the condition adapt their lives to the delayed sleep phase, avoiding common business hours (e.g., 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.) as much as possible.

Attempting to force oneself onto daytime society's schedule with DSPD has been compared to constantly living with 6 hours of jet lag; DSPD has, in fact, been referred to as "social jet lag".

By the time those who have DSPD seek medical help, they usually have tried many times to change their sleeping schedule. Failed tactics to sleep at earlier times may include maintaining proper sleep hygiene, relaxation techniques, early bedtimes, hypnosis, alcohol, sleeping pills, dull reading, and home remedies. DSPD patients who have tried using sedatives at night often report that the medication makes them feel tired or relaxed, but that it fails to induce sleep. [ EXACTLY !! ]

By the time DSPD sufferers receive an accurate diagnosis, they often have been misdiagnosed or labelled as lazy and incompetent workers or students for years. Misdiagnosis of circadian rhythm sleep disorders as psychiatric conditions causes considerable distress to patients and their families, and leads to some patients being inappropriately prescribed psychoactive drugs. For many patients, diagnosis of DSPD is itself a life-changing breakthrough.

Source Delayed sleep phase disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This was my problem and for years I had to listen to people telling me "just start getting up early and you will be tired at night"

I HATED THAT STUPID ADVICE CAUSE IT NEVER EVER WORKED !!!

Anyway I hope this post is a life-changing breakthrough for some readers out there. I figured out before I ever found out that my (DSPD) "condition" had a name that continuing to fight it by taking excessive drugs or drinking was a death sentence and if I ever wanted to stay sober I had to just accept that I would never be able to do the early to bed early to rise thing.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It does kind of bug me that those early to bed early to rise morning busy bodies are always praised as good workers, responsible people and this "condition" called delayed sleep-phase disorder is pathologized and treated as a psychologically abnormal and unhealthy medical condition.

Do I need that prayer again ?