My Story/justgreg

Old 10-23-2013, 04:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Story/justgreg

Five Years Sober

Each year since Oct 23 2010 I have received a happy birthday message from this site and it reminds of another year that I've spent sober.

On October 24 2009 I woke up hung over for the last time. The next couple of months were difficult to say the least. I drank a 12 pack of beer every night (even more on the weekends) for nearly 20 years. A moment of clarity caused me to stop. Chills, night sweats, depression, fighting off the urges... and then it got better. Easier.

Since then it's almost as though I've been reborn. A new life with new possibilities. I've started long distance hiking. (hiked the entire John Muir Trail in 2012) Climbed fourteen thousand foot peaks in Colorado. I've taken up photography and have had the extra money to buy some nice equipment. I've lost over 50 pounds. My memory has returned along with the ability to think quickly. Countless improvements...

I think back to the years and years wasted. The money spent. The people I've hurt. Can't get those things back. Ever.

I realize that this is my first post. Might be my last. Who knows... But I would like to say thanks to many here who gave me inspiration in the beginning. I read this site almost every night. Like a crutch. It's nice to know there are people who can relate and have seen it through to the other side. You were a big help to me then, and are helping many right now! So again, thank you.

I wish everyone who's in recovery and those who are thinking about quitting the very best. There's a whole new life out there and it's wonderful.

Thanks for reading.

Greg

PS, I hope I put this topic in the right place.

Last edited by Opivotal; 04-04-2017 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Correct Title