Notices

Buddhist 11th Step Workshop

Old 08-03-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
TKS

Buddhist 11th Step Workshop

Hi, I'm new here and ready to give sobriety a serious shot with the assistance of this community and real-life networks. I have posted an intro earlier in the Newcomers section.

I plan to give the local AA a go, but am at odds with a fair chunk of the concept. For addressing my own peace of mind, I am increasingly drawn
towards meditation, although my experience is limited to two prior occasions only. I notice that a Buddhist centre that I have been to previously holds classes titled:

11th Step Meditation & Recovery workshop - For people interested in meditation and involved with recovery. No previous experience of meditation is needed.

Has anyone heard of this before? I'm wondering if it's a worldwide alternative or something specific to this particular centre. From what little information there is on their site, I have concluded that it's a drop in session, rather than a set course (I have trouble committing to a set duration).

I'm not Buddhist, incidentally, but the people in this order are very friendly, genuine and welcoming to non-Buddhist visitors interested in meditation.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I agree completely!

I have been seeing a therapist that holds meditations based on Buddhist meditations. I have googled until my fingers burn. I can't find any in my area (specifically wi the 11 step rang).

Self guided meditation leaves me kinda... Distracted with my minds thoughts. Recently I found pod casts of guided Buddhist meditations that have helped me alot. Lets keep each other in mind if we find anything else specifically linked to recovery.

Thanks for hit post! Stacia
Old 09-11-2013, 04:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I went to my first buddhist meditation meeting tonight. I'm not a buddhist either incidently. It was not the 11 step recovery, just a drop in meditation meet. They were lovely, and I left feeling great and slightly overwhelmed with the one and a half hours of info. The guided meditation was great, although difficult.... the bee keepers were having their meet nxt door.