anxieties and fears

Old 11-22-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

anxieties and fears

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
I personally believe that people lose the battle to addiction precisely because they avoid anxiety and undue pressure. There is nothing to fear but fear itself.
Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
Interesting comment, Soberlicious, about avoidance of anxiety and undue pressure. Strong terms you're using with "precisely because" ?!

Hmm. Much to think on, heh heh.

Thanks.
I very much look forward to your thoughts, kind sir
I suppose when we battle addiction, we lose that same battle on several levels. Personally, I've never "won" any battle against my addictions, so my experience is biased and slanted. In saying that, though, I have battled against myself and "won" the war, if you like. Semantics?!

I believe we can defeat ourselves in either of two opposing ways. We can be drowning in our addictions and all the while moan and bitch about ourselves. This is of course a negative outcome for any of us no matter our standards.

The other is surrendering to our necessary imperfections and personal challenges, either real or surreal, and/or imagined, and getting over ourselves, to put it bluntly, simply, and done.

Embracing our anxieties and fears are essential experiences which result in our getting past ourselves. Initially defending against such fears and anxieties, embracing instead ways to avoid those uncomfortable embracing experiences absolutely sets us up for more drowning in our addictions, I agree.

I'm now (albeit imperfectly) fully recovered from my struggles with my addiction ambivalences, and so it would be curious for me to continue to embrace my fears and anxieties. Being recovered, I'm doing much better to simply be indifferent to such fears and anxieties. Indifferent, not ignorant or arrogant. Simple indifference.

Like I mentioned in my earlier post, much to think on...

Interesting indeed.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Whatever I choose not to look at and assess honestly in the light of day will have power over me. I used the words "precisely because" because I think avoidance of discomfort is at the root of the problem. "As much as we would like to avoid or deny suffering and difficulty, it is essential to do just the opposite: wholeheartedly concentrate on and investigate deeply." (the Dalai Lama)

The booming all powerful Wizard of Oz was no more than a simple man behind a curtain.

Anxiety and undue pressure does not make us drink. Anxiety and undue pressure can be used as an opportunity to drink though. There's a difference.

The concept of fearlessness, especially in the context of Buddhist practices, is fascinating to me.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Whatever I choose not to look at and assess honestly in the light of day will have power over me.
I can't manage to reach an agreement with the above statement. There is much which is decidely unknown to me ie my awareness, both internally and externally. The idea that these "unknowns" have power over me, bestowed via simple deduction, is summarily rejected by me. I refuse to accept that until I have chosen to investigate the nature of whatever, that I am at the mercy of that same whatever.

I used the words "precisely because" because I think avoidance of discomfort is at the root of the problem. "As much as we would like to avoid or deny suffering and difficulty, it is essential to do just the opposite: wholeheartedly concentrate on and investigate deeply." (the Dalai Lama)
Some initial avoidance and denial is a healthy response, is my experience, speaking for myself. Continued avoidance and denial will setup some nasty surprises, yes, I agree. Nonetheless, my usage of avoidance and denial, as well as having an ongoing indifference -- these all have their healthy places too, in dynamic practice in my experiences with addiction and other life challenges. Having said that, I do agree that honest investigation is essential for a well-balanced productive happy purposful life. Still though, simply routinely embracing all discomforts and whatevers as a matter of rule to reach a higher experience is not something I will aspire to or otherwise embrace, heh heh.

There is also much to experience in the moments of struggle with ourselves no matter the outstanding conditions of the enviroment being either postive or negative. I suppose I'm not wholly a pacifist at heart.

The booming all powerful Wizard of Oz was no more than a simple man behind a curtain.

Anxiety and undue pressure does not make us drink. Anxiety and undue pressure can be used as an opportunity to drink though. There's a difference.

The concept of fearlessness, especially in the context of Buddhist practices, is fascinating to me.
Yes, anxiety and undue pressure itself is not cause for a return to drinking. Opportunities are of course born from such troubles and trials, and yet these opportunities in themselves still can not bring me to drink. No matter the conditional causes or consequences, I can always choose not to drink.

In this manner, anxiety and undue pressure are moot points to consider when thinking of a return to drinking, yeah? In fact, almost all things become moot when thinking about a return to drinking is my experience. I have unconditionally quit drinking. So, this speaks for itself concerning the ideas of opportunities for a return to drinking. This would apply to all persons who have quit without conditions, yeah?

I'm not a complete fan of Buddhism, although I too am wholly intrigued by the concept of fearlessness.

For another time for discussion, not this thread I'm thinking, the Wizard of Oz, on different levels, was more than just a simple man, imo. I do see your point though, and I agree with the implied meanings, of the "man behind the curtain" ideas.

I'm enjoying our convo, Soberlicious. Not for the faint-of-heart.