Notices

staying clean but

Old 07-18-2012, 01:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

staying clean but

I am wondering when I was searching for my drug of choice I had a hard time finding connections and now that I am in recovery people with pills continue to show up in my life. I don't know if I need to wait to be stronger to have friendships with those that actually have prescriptions that they say are used as directed because I am not one to be able to do that, any suggestions? I feel like I have to x most people out of my life because of my addiction and IDK how to deal with this properly. Only have friends in recovery? I would like to be able to be friends and not pass judgement. Being judgmental is one of my character defects I am trying to work on even though that has somehow has kept me safe. Also, my boundaries I am working on as well so who knows?
Old 07-18-2012, 04:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hmmm.I don't really now what to say, but I can just say from my experience. I am also a X pill popper, have 5 months clean. I have also had some run ins with my friends that have pills. Some of them know I am in recovery, others do not. I even had an aquaintance at work ask if I wanted a pill. I had another coworker who I got something from her locker and she had pills in there. What I have had to realize is taking ONE pill is NOT an option. I can not control what other people do, or have. I have to work, and I work with partiers etc. My mother will always have pills, I can not stay away from her house. SO< what I do is just think it is not me anymore. I cant take pills. I can't think about them etc. Yes, I do of course, but it gets easier and easier by the day. After I said no to the guy at work who offered me, and I did not decide to sneak a pill from the other coworker, I felt super proud. Life will go on, we will encounter pills, unfortunately. They are not like crack, where you have to cook it lol. I say, stay strong. If those people are pushing them on you and not respecting you, let them go...
Old 07-18-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oxy user here and I am surrounded by it. I find that each time I turn away I get stronger and am tempted not at all. I made a decision that I am NOT doing this anymore so when I comes up I don't have to even think about it. The decision is already made. No thank you!

I also was in a house - alone - with a new bottle of 250 oxy 30's and a new bottle of morphine tablets. I could have taken at least 100 of each and no one would have noticed. I gained so much strength from that one I had to buy new shirts.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know what you mean. I swear when I have some clean time and doing great, pills just seem to appear everywhere. A few months ago I had my phone number changed. My real friends supported my recovery, but I had to cut out other people altogether. I'm sure anyone who really cares about you will support you.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i totally can relate to you. but the only advice i can give you, is in early recovery, you have to focus on yourself and do whats best for you. stay away from as many users as possible. i know its tough, I've had to say goodbye to many friends in the past 2 weeks.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by liv1ce View Post
Oxy user here and I am surrounded by it. I find that each time I turn away I get stronger and am tempted not at all. I made a decision that I am NOT doing this anymore so when I comes up I don't have to even think about it. The decision is already made. No thank you!

I also was in a house - alone - with a new bottle of 250 oxy 30's and a new bottle of morphine tablets. I could have taken at least 100 of each and no one would have noticed. I gained so much strength from that one I had to buy new shirts.
Good job!
Old 07-20-2012, 12:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have found that when I say I am going to a meeting, which has been as much as possible those that I was worried about no longer wonder where I stand. I have also preplanned if any conversation comes up about it and a person doesn't know where I am at about it all, I just say I'm in recovery or I can quickly excuse myself. Thanks HP and you all.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you are trying to quit and you express that and they still call with offers, that is someone you need to x off your people I know list. Many folks are just greedy assholes. It's not hard to x them either.Just do not have further association. Period.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
kiddo

My brother still uses drugs and I'm trying to get clean. He lives in the same house as well, which isn't easy and I know where he keeps everything.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

liv1ice, HOLY SMOKES< I commend you for not breaking your sobriety when you were in a house with those pills. WOW. I can not even imagine seeing 100 of the 30's. That shows your true character, and how determined you are to staying clean. I am amazed at your will power. I would have to keep telling myself that when those few I took or 100 or whatever ran out, would I really not want more? NOPE> just like right now I am on a juice detox, going on the end of day 4 right now with not any food, just juice. I am so hungry right now and bored, but really if eat a meal will I really not want another meal tomorrow? I promised myself 10 days, and I will do it. I am so surprised and happy with this new found determination I have now that I am clean. Every day gets a little bit better. Good work man.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Not again

Before I smoked crack I didn't know anybody else that did, although I hung with a crowd of deadheads. Nor did I know of anybody that took pills, as prescribed or not. Mainly because the people in my life were not thought-centered on drugs. Now that I am in recovery it seems nearly everybody, also in recovery, is on some sort of pain or psych med. Not me, don't need it, don't want it. I am working very hard at distancing myself from people "in recovery" who still focus there lives and thoughts on drugs. I won't peek in your medicine cabinet, so please don't tell me about all the groovy meds you take.
It sure seems that soceity has fallen apart while I was "out-there", I can only hope there are a couple of normies left for me to befriend.

Be well,
Larry