Notices

DXM Addiction.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

DXM Addiction.

Hello everyone!

About 10 months ago I started to experiment with getting high off ofDXM(Over-the-counter cough suppresent). I quickly became addicted and have been ever since. I would be shop-lifting cough&cold medicine on a daily basis, going through bottles upon bottles of Robitussin and taking up to 40 mucinex-DM pills at a time.

I went to rehab on May 14th 2012 because I had finally had enough. The drug was taking over my life and no matter how hard I tried I could never stop.

I was in rehab for about 2 months and I got kicked out for running away and getting high )= I've been home since last week wednsday and I have taken DXM 3 times since I've been home.

I'm trying to quit getting high. I found this fourm recently, I have a sponsor and I attend NA/AA meetings on a daily basis. Anyone have any suggestions to get through the cravings?
Old 07-14-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Keep yourself busy as much as possible. As they say, "an idle mind is the devils work-shop", and this is especially true when it comes to dope (at least for me anyways). Exercise, socialize, do stuff. And get phone numbers from the NA folks and call them (or your sponsor) when you feel like using...good luck. Peace.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are wanting to be clean, but are not wanting it bad enough. If you want it bad enough you need to stay away from anything and everything that involves getting high. just reaching out on SR can be enough for some people, but not all. What caused you to run away from rehab to get high? That just blows my mind. You sound young and you have your whole life ahead of you. Work hard, spend everyday in meetings if you need too. You can do it.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
kiddo

Hey mate, DXM was my DOC at the most recent time of my addiction. I was going through Robitussin bottles like crazy, owe my 'rents about $4000 from how much I bought. For something so addictive, it's crazy that it's OTC.
Anyways, I've been clean off it for a week, and so far the best thing has been going to AA meetings in my area which have many people there who are addicted to several substances, and going a couple of times a week. I got numbers off people who both drank and abused substances, and I've found that to be really helpful, as I can call or text if I need to talk. That's the main thing I guess. I didn't want to be sober for a long time, but then I finally realised that I had to do it because otherwise I wouldn't be able to get out of the hole I was digging myself. You either want it or you don't - there's no half measure with this.