Notices

Caved on 4th day

Old 07-04-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Chief Officer of Misbehavior

Caved on 4th day

I was prescribed percocet 10/325 for about 3 months. I was taking at some points about 125mg a day. I went CT 4 days ago. It has been some of the worst days of my life. Sweating, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, at one point I could barely stand on my own. A sip of water could make me projectile vomit. Yesterday was I thought the worst. I had kinda turned the corner or so I thought. I hadn't slept in 3 days. I was very irritable this morning. Little did I know that the first rumblings of the rls was nothing like this morning's fiasco. I took probably 6 very hot showers between 3am & 1pm when I finally just couldn't take it anymore. I had a straight run of charlie horses from 11am until 1pm. And then I did what I swore I wouldn't, I took half a pill. It still took about an hour for the cramps to abate. I slept from then until now.

Does this mean I have to start over? Because honestly I don't think I can live through that again. It was hell as I'm sure you all know.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

There's gonna be plenty of suffering during withdrawals, but it will get better as the days go by. I would get rid of the pills altogether. I wouldn't be able to quit if I had them around. You can do it.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Honestly the thought of even taking another pill makes me sick. My legs had been what I can only describe as the worst tickling ever in my calves for hours. The sensation right before the charlie horse lands. I would prefer actual pain to that feeling. It seemed so endless. I'm moving forward and don't intend to take another one. I'm just hoping that getting through 4 days of WD isn't all lost. I've been trying to search for similar situations. I'm so mad at myself for taking that pill. I was actually feeling much better and then the leg bs started. Is this really like starting over completely or what? Thanks for your reply.

My other issue is I can't take a true bath because I just had a hysterectomy, the reason I was on the pills in the first place. So I wind up sitting in the shower shivering and feeling like hell. I think if I could just sleep in there i'd be happier. Not an option though. Besides, after a while the heat gets to me & I drag myself out to the bed shaking. I just want this to be over. I can't take another 4 days like those first four.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Starting over ain't no big deal. Over the last 10 months that I've been here regularly, the pill users seem to have the most painful withdrawals symptoms. Even people that I know who are recovering indicate that withdrawls from percocet, loracet, methadone and other pills have terrible reactions to taking them away. Nontheless I know those who have recovered, and I'm praying that you do also.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah it is the worst. It's like having the flu. I also went 4 days and used on the 4th and i can say that i didnt feel like i was starting over on withdrawal again. If anything it gave me more drive to stay away the next day. The physical side effects come and go for me but the mental part is the worst. I've just been trying to stay busy and sleep when i dont feel good. Keep your head up and always remember that tomorrows another day.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The good thing is if you NEVER take another one you never have to go through this agony again. If you take another you will. You will prolong the process. I know you hurt right now, I was there in that same spot many many times. I was a heavy pill user for years. You will be okay, I promise you. Just fight the fight. You did the harm to your body, now this is your body's way of getting the bad stuff out. You can help the process along by exercise, tons of water, thinking positive. I also journaled, I swear, my journal and sober recovery were my life lines. I used to dread the night times, since I knew it would be another brutal night of walking around the house, tossing and turning, kicking my legs to help the rls. BUT it does not last forever. You can do this. Put your mind to it, do everything you can to stay away from those evil little things.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would not say your 4 days of w/d are lost now. IM NO DOCTOR but I would think it would still get easier for you each day, even though you caved and did that small amount. sounds like you're even more motivated to stay away... ditch the rest of them and keep on keeping on!
ps, as an opiate user of 2 years who's tried to quit numerous times, I can definitely sympathize with you on the restless leg bs. it was the most nagging and difficult symptom of w/d for me to suffer through, I think. I would prefer an actual sharp pain like you said than that terribly irritating and relentless restless feeling. it makes me feel like I'm going insane, which isn't helped by the complete inability to sleep. if anyone has any tips for the rls id greatly appreciate it!!
Old 07-04-2012, 10:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the replies. I have decided to taper instead of the CT. I feel like I'm a loser for even saying that, but I have to get through this. I took the one half at about noon today. Then tonight around midnight the creepy crawly leg gymnastics came back. I tried taking a quarter of a pill and waited about 30 mins but the cramps didn't ease. So I took the other quarter. As discouraged as I'm feeling now I'm so hopeful that by taking only the tiniest amount possible & holding out longer & longer I will be through with these awful things ASAP.

Is tapering a wuss thing to do? Can I avoid the intense rls by tapering off slowly? Today I managed to make it with a half of 10/325, 12 hours apart.

I really do appreciate each and every reply. Thank you.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Tapering only worked for me when I knew I only had the supply on hand with no real way of getting more. In other words, you have to know that that last 1/2 is really all you can get your hands on.
Some people can taper; others cannot. You will still have the symptoms and terrible w/d's, but it is a bit better with a taper.
I was a user for many years and did a long-term taper over several months. Got down to the last few days of one pill a day and then stopped. I had no vomiting, but did have restless legs bad, lethargy, insomnia, diarrea, hot cold sweats, etc.
Good luck whichever path you take - it is not easy, but worth it.
Kee posting.