Notices

I need some help with my boyfriend(drug use)

Old 07-04-2012, 12:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need some help with my boyfriend(drug use)

Hello all

I am just going to get right to the point! I met my boyfriend September 2011, and he was fairly clean then. He maybe did weed every so often, but that was the extent of the drug use. To be honest, I did not mind the weed. It's something 19 year olds do. He does have a history of using drugs, though. He was very addicted to heroin and cocaine before we met. I would say age 16/17-18 was when he got with the wrong people, and just messed with the wrong stuff. His father made him quit heroin cold turkey. He finally got off of it after a hard battle.

Now, he's been having multiple problems the past couple of months. He suffers from anxiety attacks, and he just wants to die during those attacks so he always smoked weed during them. That obviously did not help the attacks and depression because he would just smoke more and more. Then he started to have problems with his father, and this made my boyfriend crack.

I was not a good girlfriend because him and I had our own problems, so I would yell at him a lot. We've been having problems for the past three weeks or so. We would break up and get back together constantly; an on and off battle. He used heroin last week, more than once. And he started using cocaine again. He got hooked back to that quickly.

I feel like a lot of this is my fault because when I would say, "I am done with this ******** I wanna break up," he would go and overdose on pills and take cocaine and heroin.

I know that him doing all of these drugs are not helping his depression at all. I told him he had to quit cocaine, or else I would leave him because I can't watch him hurt himself anymore. It seriously breaks my heart.

So now, my boyfriend is detoxing. It is only day 3. Before now, to numb the pain he would overdoes on pills, use alcohol, cocaine, weed, and heroin. Now he uses none of that, and all he is doing is sleeping. I am totally okay with him sleeping, but is it normal for him to sleep the entire day? He says he has a throbbing headache, and he cries over the slightest things.

I just wanna know how long it would take him to get used to having nothing in his body. I would like him to get on some antidepressants to help the dopamine levels, but I don't know if that is a good idea. Are there any ways to help the pain he is in right now?

Sorry for being so long, I just have no experience with addiction and drugs!
Old 07-04-2012, 01:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome saynotodrugs

I'm afraid I don't know anything of heroin or cocaine use or detox...and only a Dr can really tell you if antidepressants would help your bf or not...

I did want to say tho...your bf's drug use is absolutely not your fault.

It's tempting to try and apply logic - I did x so he did y - but I don't think it's really like that.

I had a million reasons to use or drink...anything could set me off...noone else was ever to blame.,..even when I blamed them....

it was something in me - a gap, a space, a hole - that needed filling....it was something internal, not external.

We have a Family and Friends Forum here too - I hope you'll check it out

D
Old 07-06-2012, 06:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi saynotodrugs.

First - YES it's normal to sleep all day. And really all night, too. I did this the last time I detoxed and was in bed for about 2 days. It's necessary for your body to kind of shut down and rest to get everything out.

Also, I have severe anxiety and depression. Cocaine especially makes these problems 100 times worse, especially when you're getting off it all. I'm guessing Emotions are hard to control at this point for him, so give him a little time. Check on him, give him fluids, etc. etc.

But know you didn't DO anything wrong, and you couldn't have prevented it in ANY way. I hope this helped a little, please keep us updated!