Notices

Abusing Rx stimulants and can't stay off

Old 06-14-2012, 11:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Abusing Rx stimulants and can't stay off

Hi everyone. About three yeears ago my doctor put me on Nuvigil for my chronic fatigue. I buillt up tolerance qquickly and have been abusing it for almost three years now. I went to him and told him I couldn't take it ny more and he put me on Addderall instead and I abuse it just the same. I want off but every time I stop, I am so depressed and so lethargic and apathetic for months. I have quit at least 50 times in the last 2 years but I always go back.
I used to abuse narcotics for the same reason-to get energy and feel enthusiastic and motivated instead of tired and dull and flat. I have major depressive disorder and these pills are wreaking havoc on me. I don't know where to turn. My husband is no help-he abusees the saame meds.
I know this forum is for narcotics but is there help here for stimulant abusers? I spent three years in NA and AA and on ly ended up in the psych wward having ECT for depression so severe I was abouyt to kill myself. Twelve step programs didnt work for me though I promise, I gve it every thing I had.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Hi Dagny, welcome.

No worries, the substance abuse boards cover all drugs.

You said 12 step programs didn't work for you, but I wonder if you actually worked the 12 steps in your daily life and practiced its principles in all of your affairs on a daily basis? I ask because I have watched a lot of addicts/alcoholics show up in meetings, and the reality is that so many just don't work the program as it was originally designed through the precise, clear-cut directions outlined in the Big Book. It was a revelation to me when I found a sponsor who pointed out that the meetings of AA/NA are fellowship, but the program of AA/NA is the steps. Lots of us try getting well on fellowship, and while meetings are great they just aren't enough for an alcoholic/addict like me - and they really weren't meant to be. On the other hand, I have never, ever seen someone that really works the program and uses it to maintain their spiritual fitness on a daily basis fail, ever. Rather, the gifts get so big they start looking like miracles!

Untreated or insufficiently treated alcoholism/addiction can be really painful, and even if we manage to stay sober/clean for a time it's usually pretty rough going. The condition tends to come out sideways - restlessness, irritability, discontentment, symptoms of depression, suicidal tendencies, anxiety/fear, substitute drugs/medications, substitute behaviors, the list goes on and on. When I recovered, those things fell away from me automatically.

I hope you will find yourself on the path to freedom. It's there for the taking if you're willing to go to any lengths for your recovery.

Big hugs and much love,

SIU
Old 06-15-2012, 01:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

Sorry to know of your situation...glad you joined us.

I do use AA for my successful recovery from alcoholism
however perhaps these links would be useful for you
.I have no experience with either of them.

Questions and Answers about DRA

Self Help Substance Abuse &amp Addiction Recovery | SMART RecoveryŽ

All my best