Notices

cold turkey

Old 06-04-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

cold turkey

Hi people,
I am new to this just to let you know a little bit about myself. I am now on day 3 of cold turkey from nurofen plus. I have the support of my wife which is a great help. This is where i feel kind of weird I have the shaky legs, turning stomach and this morning a really sore head the thing is i feel kind of positive, the threads i have read have all said that they feel depressed. I know it is only day 3 and tomorrow could be worse though I think that my AA is helping me. You see I am also a recovering alcoholic- 3 and a half years sober so keeping it in the day is something I am used to. Is this normal or am i in for worse ?
Old 06-04-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there your almost passed it. I have always felt better or at least so sick of laying around by day 4 that I can get going and do something. Might not be huge but anything to get off the couch or the bed. It all depends on how long you have been using and how much. Great that you have support it's huge. I'm on day 6 and feel great except for the pounding headaches I get. Part of why I was taking Vicodin. Get moving as soon as you can. Walking does wonders. Take care.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

cheers skinnywater i was taking up to900 mlg every 2nd day for over 2 years, in the past couple of months i have got it down to 700 mlg every 2nd day I couldnt do the taper thing it just didnt work for me so god presented me with a week of work and i just thought stuff it, its now or never. Its 3 in the morning here so the insomnia is a pain in the ass. nyway thanks for the support and take care
Old 06-04-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Insomnia is my curse as well. Going toward 40 days and the devil sleep still eludes me. I sleep enough but that is 2-4 hours on a good night and none on a bad one. I don't mind though as overall it is much better than what life was before.

By the way, insomnia is sort of natural for me and opiates completely removed it. The absence of opiates just brings me back to normal plus a little suffering for being such a fool. You may not suffer anything like this. What I heard in early withdrawl was a couple weeks to 3 weeks before you are sleeping. But that is only if you are cold turkey. You can take other things but I'm not doing that!
Old 06-04-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

same here not going to take anything else either, stuff that! it just gives the addiction devil another chance to get his claws into you. I had2hours sleep there but my 6 month old daughter woke me. Then after i got her back to sleep lying in my bed all the dreadfull thoughts started whirling round my head cue wakey wakey time. anyway cheers for the support and illbe posting every day to let yous know how i am getting on.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I like that attitude. I actually slept all night last night. No evil thoughts. Keep it up and good things are coming.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Try a cup of sleepy time tea and some melatonin, that may help the sleep. Hang in there, just remember you will not have to suffer through this again!
Old 06-05-2012, 05:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My de tox from alcohol was finished after 3 days...and no meds were necessary.

Please see if this link is useful..

Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

Welcome...
Old 06-05-2012, 06:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Insomnia remains with me as well. About 4 hours a night. That sux but there are tons of positive benefits I'm seeing after only 2 weeks clean off my 10 year oxy/hydro bender. Physically I feel pretty good but I know my body and mind will take a long time to stabilize after being carpet bombed by opies for so long. I've also heard that "recovery is not linear" which I have already experienced. What that means is one day I'll feel on top of the world and the next day all I can think of is reasons to pick up again. It's a mind game the dope tries on me but I'm not gonna play. Stay strong and remember the prize.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

cheers everyone read a post there and it mentioned sticking some tunes on loud did that and the tears just started coming. For a Scottish male thats a hard one to admit but it felt good. Also got a couple of hours sleep there and I am not feeling as electric as i was this morning. still got pretty bad stomach cramps but them I can handle. Again thanks everyone the support means alot.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

looking after my daughter for an hour and a half God this is testing my patience but thats what having responsibility is all about. I will get through this.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How ya doing Gally. Hope your doing well. Just wanted to give a shout.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

day 5

cheers skinny, well this is day 5 went into the spare room last night it wasnt fair on the wife I was like a jack in the box all night tossing and turning with the legs going mad. Managed to fall asleep about 3 am then was up again at 5,30 am back to sleep and up at 7 am so that was 4 hours sleep an improvement on the other nights. I feel a little bit sick this morning though with a wee cup of tea hopefully that will pass. I am going to go out today weeee going to the doctors need to get a liver and kidney function test done. The runs have now stopped and I am feeling hungry bowl of cereal and some toast before I go to the docs. Anyway take care and God bless and ill Let yous know how I get on today.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

See there's your first major victory, no more runs. Lol gotta take every little thing you can as an accomplishment Glad to hear you at least won that battle now on to the next. Sleep will come don't worry. Good luck at the Dr. Hope your test turn out good. Hang tough I'm thinking and sending good prayers your way.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

big suprise

Just back from the docs got a little surprising news what i thought were flee bites that I had burnt while out in the sun, turned out to be shingles. My whole body was run down. This is me at the stage to run my body back up again. one day at a time again no runs and I feel kind of tired so i am going to see if I can get some sleep.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about the shingles Gallybhoy, my grandma had those awhile ago and she was miserable. Hope you don't get it to bad, they come from the Chicken Pox virus right. If so, I will be inflicted also as I have had the chicken pox twice. Yep twice. Well I hope you feel better and praying that you get some needed rest. Hang in there.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

good feel

thing is skinny I am at the other end of the shingles just numbness where the spots were. probably all that codeine in my system blanked out any of the real pain i should have been feeling. Even the doc said he was surprised I managed to stay at work seeing as I do a manual job on the building sites. How are you yourself ? sometimes I go on about myself and forget there are other people suffering.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Gally,

Glad you seem to be doing well. I hope the Dr. doesn't feel pain meds are in order for the shingles. I'm afraid that 35 days ago I would have been all over that possibility and whining in agony. Stay strong and hopefully any discomfort will stay away.

I also have been using the spare bedroom for the last few weeks as I feel it isn't fair to my wife to have me jumping around and twisting and turning and kicking my legs. I no longer have restlessness from withdrawl but now from fatigue of not sleeping.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

no pain relief from the doc as he knows about my addiction to the codeine any way I don't feel sore there just numb. Looking forward now to meeting the addiction team tomorrow. I also had a visit tonight from a pal from AA I let him know about my problem as he works in withdrawal clinic, so it was good to speak to him about the practical things and also the spiritual side. feeling kind of good just now what would top it of would be a good few hours sleep tonight, though ill take even a couple as a bonus.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi folks thats me now on day 6 codeine free wow. Woke up this morning after 4 and a half hours sleep, again wow. I just didn't think I could do this. This morning i am of for my first appointment with the local addiction team and I am actually looking forward to. No i am not 100% still waiting for my energy to come back, walking up my stairs and I am out of breath but thanks to reading all the posts on here I know that will return. The electric leg stuff has gone so has the stomach cramps My body just feels like I have done a half marathon If you had told me last Friday that I would be feeling like this I would have grabbed it with both hands. Anyway I even think tonight that I might try and make it to my AA group although we will see how I get on today. Just take care everyone thanks and God Bless