Notices

Lorazepam Withdrawal

Old 05-24-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lorazepam Withdrawal

Hello everyone. I am 29 years old. I started taking Lorazepam for anxiety when I was about 21, prescribed by my doctor. The dosage would often fluxuate, but about two years ago I was taking around 6 MG a day. After that I decided I didn't want to depend on the medication any more and started working with a Psychologist on my anxiety. We got me down to 1 1/2 MG a day (1MG in the morning and 1/2 in the evening). I have been at that dosage for a while now and she recommended I go see a psychiatrist to help me try something new.

The psychiatrist has me on Imipramine (Tofranil). I started it 8 days ago and I feel like it is the right medication to help me quit lorazepam completely. Our medication plan was like this:

Week 1: 1/2MG L and 12.5MG I in the morning and evening.
(I am currently on this week) Week 2: 1/2MG L and 12.5MG I in the morning and NO L in the evening with 25MG of I.
Week 3: No L 12.5 I in the morning, and no L with 25MG I in the evening.

Starting yesterday I am taking 1/2 MG of lorazepam in the morning with 12.5MG of the Imipramine and NO lorazepam in the evening with 25MG of the Imipramine. It doesn't kill the anxiety completely like lorazepam does, but I feel I only get anxiety anymore because I am dependent on lorazepam.

I am starting to think after my second day of barely ANY sleep (and I am a guy who never has had trouble sleeping) that my body is going through withdrawal. I feel pretty good other than the lack of sleep. I can fall asleep easily but only stay asleep for about 2-3 hours then I am awake constantly after that.

To anyone who has worked off of lorazepam before..... have you experienced this? How long did it last? Is there anything I can do to help?
Old 05-24-2012, 06:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
totfit

Exercise, exercise, exercise, eat right and get plenty of fluids, i.e. water. Watch the caffeine and if you use nicotine-quit that too. You are likely going through some changes as you have taken the medication for a long time. It will get better and eating right and exercise will help. Just be patience and focus on the world around you.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by totfit View Post
Exercise, exercise, exercise, eat right and get plenty of fluids, i.e. water. Watch the caffeine and if you use nicotine-quit that too. You are likely going through some changes as you have taken the medication for a long time. It will get better and eating right and exercise will help. Just be patience and focus on the world around you.
Thank you totfit. I usually workout three days a week but it is much harder now with the lack of sleep and headaches. I get home from work and I am too exhausted to work out. I will try and push through it though! I have been eating right (lower calories, more vegetables, no soda) for a few months now too, so maybe that is helping and I just don't know it. I just fear that the withdrawal will last too long since I was on medication for such a long time.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Some mornings I feel like I am just going to double over due to anxiety. It makes me feel trapped in my own mind. Mentally, I keep finding ways to make myself worry and give myself anxiety now that I am going through withdrawal. I am really struggling
Old 05-25-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

quitting lorazapam can be difficult because of whats called the "rebound effect" . This means when the pill is stopped anxiety can come back stronger then before.

Not sure how to combat it. Just know what you are feeling is normal, and hopefully will subside as the meds get out of your system
Old 05-25-2012, 11:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

I agree with Amy, every drug I ever used gave me a rebound effect. It took my body and mind a very long time to balance out, which is fair considering how I had been consuming drugs for so long. It wasn't easy, just worth it. No matter how rough it got, it was always a small price to pay for my chance at freedom. If you do this right, you will never have to go through this again. Total abstinence has been a necessary foundation for me, as is a program of recovery. Are you an addict?
Old 05-25-2012, 11:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Ancestors, I highly suggest meditation. I took sleeping pills for many years (as well as benzos and many other drugs), and meditation became my saving grace for me. I started using guided meditations in early recovery as needed, and I still meditate on a daily basis at 3 years clean. My favorite guided meditation, as needed, is Deepak Chopra's "The Soul of Healing Meditations." Exercise (yoga can be especially good) and eating right are also a big help. Best wishes
Old 05-27-2012, 10:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Exercise and healthy diet has been my saving grace. Wish I could say it works fast and anxiety will be gone. In reality, it takes hard work, total commitment, and believing there is no other option. The demons still try to sneak into my head and I know it's time to work out. Even at 6 months clean I can't chance letting my guard down. Take it a day at a time and you will make it.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amy27 View Post
quitting lorazapam can be difficult because of whats called the "rebound effect" . This means when the pill is stopped anxiety can come back stronger then before.

Not sure how to combat it. Just know what you are feeling is normal, and hopefully will subside as the meds get out of your system
Thanks for the info Amy. I did some research on The Rebound Effect and it sounds exactly what I am going through. Today is my first day without any Lorazepam and today has been the worst anxiety wise. It's good to know that this anxiety is caused by the process of withdrawal rather than "being myself without lorazepam". I sure hope it doesn't last too long.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SteppingItUp View Post
Ancestors, I highly suggest meditation. I took sleeping pills for many years (as well as benzos and many other drugs), and meditation became my saving grace for me. I started using guided meditations in early recovery as needed, and I still meditate on a daily basis at 3 years clean. My favorite guided meditation, as needed, is Deepak Chopra's "The Soul of Healing Meditations." Exercise (yoga can be especially good) and eating right are also a big help. Best wishes
I am not sure if I am an addict or not. I never abused lorazepam or took more than I was supposed to. Yet my body tells me that I need it to not have any anxiety. My mind doesn't help my body out by finding ways for me to worry.

I appreciate you recommending meditation. I have never tried it before. I was able to get "The Soul of Healing Meditations" so I am very eager to try it out. I will report back to you on how it goes! Thanks so much!
Old 05-27-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lostgirl25 View Post
Exercise and healthy diet has been my saving grace. Wish I could say it works fast and anxiety will be gone. In reality, it takes hard work, total commitment, and believing there is no other option. The demons still try to sneak into my head and I know it's time to work out. Even at 6 months clean I can't chance letting my guard down. Take it a day at a time and you will make it.
Thank you for the support lostgirl. It makes me feel good to know that so many people understand what I am going through.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm on the Xanax taper and it isn't easy. I don't know how the withdrawals compare, but Xanax is a complete nightmare. It has been tolerable since I am tapering. Substitution with Valium usually makes it better, but I had an odd super blurry vision reaction to Valium so now I just have to taper tiny, tiny amounts every week or two. It is going to be a long road but I took Xanax for a long time, like you did lorazepam (7 years for me). Rome wasn't built in a day. Stick with it!!! Don't be afraid to stretch it out if need be. I want everything yesterday, but Xanax puts me back in my place every time, LOL. Good luck!!
Lee
Old 05-29-2012, 05:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Leemzer View Post
I'm on the Xanax taper and it isn't easy. I don't know how the withdrawals compare, but Xanax is a complete nightmare. It has been tolerable since I am tapering. Substitution with Valium usually makes it better, but I had an odd super blurry vision reaction to Valium so now I just have to taper tiny, tiny amounts every week or two. It is going to be a long road but I took Xanax for a long time, like you did lorazepam (7 years for me). Rome wasn't built in a day. Stick with it!!! Don't be afraid to stretch it out if need be. I want everything yesterday, but Xanax puts me back in my place every time, LOL. Good luck!!
Lee
Thank you Lee. Your message made me feel better.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yesterday I broke down and ended up taking .5 mg of Lorazepam at 11 am. I lasted 48 hours without any at all for the first time in 7 years. With the help of Imipramine I thought I could "tough" through it, but from 7 am to 11 am yesterday were the worst 4 hours I have ever experienced. Pacing back and fourth, anxiety making my heart pound through my chest. my legs got so weak that I couldn't pace and when I laid down all I could do was overthink and make things worse. After severs bouts of an upset stomach and nearly throwing up, I had finally admitted defeat and took a pill. Those four hours felt like four days. I never want to feel like that again. Has anyone else had a similar breakdown and was still able to come back stronger and kick their addiction? She only weened me from 2 mg to 0 mg of lorazepam over the span of a week and a half. I am hoping after I talk to her today she decides to ween me longer. I think I stopped too much too soon.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Imipramine is an anti depressant, it is IMO a mistake to think that this medication is going to reduce the effects of benzowithdrawal, it simply will not.

Coming off benzos is a very difficult process, you were on a pretty good dose for a pretty good amount of time.

The only way to reduce the severity of symtoms is to do a very slow taper. You have done awesome work reducing your dose, congrats on your progress. There are a couple of methods that you could use to make very small daily cut over a period of time to make the landing a bit smoother.

There is a water titration method, or you could looking into liquid ativan. It usually gets harder at the lower doses.
You have made tremendous progress. Congrats.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katiekate View Post
Imipramine is an anti depressant, it is IMO a mistake to think that this medication is going to reduce the effects of benzowithdrawal, it simply will not.

Coming off benzos is a very difficult process, you were on a pretty good dose for a pretty good amount of time.

The only way to reduce the severity of symtoms is to do a very slow taper. You have done awesome work reducing your dose, congrats on your progress. There are a couple of methods that you could use to make very small daily cut over a period of time to make the landing a bit smoother.

There is a water titration method, or you could looking into liquid ativan. It usually gets harder at the lower doses.
You have made tremendous progress. Congrats.
Thank you Katie. I just feel completely lost now that I tried it and did not succeed more than 48 hours. I do feel better now that I think about tapering more for a longer period of time. That gives me hope again.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I came off of Klonopin, I am over two years recovered, it is doable.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katiekate View Post
I came off of Klonopin, I am over two years recovered, it is doable.
If you don't mind me asking, how long were you on it? How long did the severe withdrawal anxiety and pains go through until it was bearable? I can tolerate some anxiety, but nothing like I felt 48 hours into no lorazepam.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This site has helped me so much dealing with my out of control life living with an addict. It's so refreshing to hear when someone has a problem and they really want to get help. My husband doesn't even admit that he has a problem and he takes all the drugs that are legal and illegal and usually substitutes one for another on top of the hard alcohol he drinks everyday. I know he isn't the only one that needs help that I am sick as well, I come to this site and meetings to work on myself. I know it takes tremendous strength and will power to taper off anything when what you are use to is not only taking drugs but abusing the amount so I just wanted to say I admire your will and determination. I hope that you get through this and have great things awaiting you. I'm not judgmental at all and I want you to know although I may not be much help with exactly whT you are going through. I'm here for you if you ever want to reach out or just vent. Good luck and god bless
Old 05-29-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Keep posting ancestors. I know benzos are the most difficult to get off and you did not have much taper time. Just having a place to feel safe and express your anxieties knowing those here understand and are supporting you will help. Long term prescription drugs can be addictive even though we may not think of ourselves as an addict. This can be when never abused and the last thing we would want to do.

Meditation is good. The brain has to heal and it is a long process. It will get better but accept it won't happen fast. Keep drinking water, exercise if possible, meditate, and fill that mind with the vision of the good life you will have when this is over. It does get better. This I can promise.