Notices

Huge step!!

Old 05-22-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking Huge step!!

Hey everyone!!

I had to get a couple of prescriptions called in to the pharmacy today and went ahead and had the doctor call in my pain meds. I actually just called the pharmacy and told them to put the pain meds ON FILE!! Told them I didn't need them right now . I don't need them right now. I'm going to have 40 days clean just before surgery on June 7th, ONE DAY AT A TIME. My plan is to not get the pills until after the surgery, if then, but for today, it's just TODAY, but this is a HUGE victory in my eyes. Normally, when the doctor calls them in, I can't get to the pharmacy fast enough and then boom, they're all gone. But today, I said "no" to the addict in me. I've got 25 days clean and sober, woot!!
Old 05-22-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

That certainly is positive ...good for you...
Old 05-22-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So gad you decided to do this Pandie,
You already know about what happened to me my last surgery... Nearly killed me!
I'm glad you're going into this clean and free.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

YAY ((Pandie))!!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-22-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Fantastic dude!! Great Job~~~!
Old 05-23-2012, 10:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is so wonderful!
I am clean off opiates 17 months and I still would be tempted if I had a prescription just waiting for me. The only way I can stay clean is to not have any access. It is so strange what power these little pills have over us. I continue to take it one day at a time and turn to my higher power on a regular basis.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Heathen

That's awesome!
Old 05-23-2012, 11:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It is amazing, day after they were called in and I still don't want, nor plan to get them. Thanks to my HP, whom I call God, I've got 26 days clean and sober!! Thanks too to all of you here at SR!!
Old 05-23-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great Pandie. Your HP is with you all the way. Every day I am amazed at new found strength that I didn't know was there. Good for you.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Pandie, I am so so so proud of you!!!! I haven't been on much lately, end of year is always super crazy for teachers...I just read that you did that! I think that is unreal, those shows immense power! Even thinking about this situation makes me want to go crazy, just having them where I knew I could get them would be difficult. YOU showing that much willpower is absolutely powerful. After your surgery, get healthy and tell them no more! keep working hard, looking forward to more posts. How is your roomie? You still staying away from her blog? Give us the blog ha ha..
Old 05-24-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks ICDI,

Roomie is still crazy as ever, except now she's weaning off her psych meds AND injecting hormones, fun fun fun!! She's a teacher too. She FINALLY went back to work today. The thoughts that kept running through my addict brain was "I cannot deal with her sober", but I'm doing it! Her embryo transfer is scheduled for the week after my surgery, more fun, right? I'm just trying to block her out. As for the blog, yes, I've started reading it again. She has been so depressed the past week, sleeping all day, not showering, walking around the house crying that I had to check on her. I know, I know, not my business, but I caved :/. One bad habit at a time, right?? lol When do you get out of school?
Old 05-25-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,

I'm really struggling with pain . I think it is stress related, I got tense at work last night and by the time I got home a little after midnight, I was miserable with back and shoulder pain. I took a couple Tylenol and nightime meds and fell asleep. Feeling a little better this morning, but not much. I'm on day 28 and REALLY want to make it to 30. Yes, I could get a portion of my pain meds filled, but I don't trust myself . I wonder what kind of strange looks I would get from the pharmacy if I went in and asked them to only fill ONE pill, lol!!

Truth be told, if I was dealing with this pain and out of meds, I would just have to deal with it, so why should today be any different??

Confused...
Old 05-25-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Heathen

Once takin pain meds became a non-option, I was surprised at how well I actually could handle quite a bit of pain.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Originally Posted by Pandie View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm really struggling with pain . I think it is stress related, I got tense at work last night and by the time I got home a little after midnight, I was miserable with back and shoulder pain. I took a couple Tylenol and nightime meds and fell asleep. Feeling a little better this morning, but not much. I'm on day 28 and REALLY want to make it to 30. Yes, I could get a portion of my pain meds filled, but I don't trust myself . I wonder what kind of strange looks I would get from the pharmacy if I went in and asked them to only fill ONE pill, lol!!

Truth be told, if I was dealing with this pain and out of meds, I would just have to deal with it, so why should today be any different??

Confused...

I have found that total abstinence from all mind-altering, mood-changing substances has been a necessary foundation for my recovery, including abstinence from sleeping pills/sedatives. Are you involved in a program of recovery? Will power never worked for me long term, and it looks like you're getting awfully close to those pills again... One is too many, and a thousand never enough. Big hugs and much luck
Old 05-26-2012, 08:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Stepping,

I've still maintained my abstinence with the pain pills!! Tomorrow will make 30 days of no opiates, hard to believe!! I've been having some back and shoulder pain, but have been able to take a couple of tylenol to keep things tolerable. It's really weird (and insightful) as to times I'm tempted to get the pills for reasons other than pain. When I'm lonely, bored, tired... I want to use. I'm determined to make it to surgery clean and sober. . I've never gone 30 days without the pills, it feels empowering to admit powerlessness!!

~Pandie
Old 05-27-2012, 03:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats Pandie. 30 days is huge. I'm looking forward to it but you're there. Awesome.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hang in there Pandie. Just wanted you to know that I'm praying for you.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days. Those are hell.

Getting one pill filled may be tougher than you think. In NY State at least they have all these cryptic rules (some State laws and others a internal pharmacy rules) about partial fills. I only have experience with CIIs, but most major pharmacy chains would not give partial fills on those. Certain pharmacies would give partial fills, but would not give you the balance of the script (i.e. if you had a script for 60 and they only had 10 on hand you only got 10 and had to go back to the Dr to get a brand new script for the remaining 50). Other mom and pop pharmacies would give partial fills and would give you the remaining balance when it came in.

Your state law may be completely different (or maybe dispensing / filling are treated differently), but the last thing you want is to show up to the pharmacy in severe pain and be told take the whole bottle or nothing. Again, I am not saying that this is going to be the case, but it is something that you should at least have a back-up plan for if you get to that point. Do you have someone that you trust to hold the rest of the bottle if this happened?

IMHO, even if you could work things out to where you only got one from the pharmacy it is a very bad idea.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pandie View Post
Hi Stepping,

I've never gone 30 days without the pills, it feels empowering to admit powerlessness!!

~Pandie
I love that surrendering and submitting to being powerless actually brings upon the power we need. It is a great feeling, congrats Pandie and all of you out there who have made the decision not to use today.

HD
Old 05-27-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone

Today makes 30 days!! It feels surreal and so amazing at the same time . I don't usually go to NA, but there is a meeting I used to go to that meets on Sun nights and I may go tonight so I can get a 30-day key tag and celebrate!!

All of you out there reading this that think you can't do this, if I can do it, so can YOU!!

~Pandie