Notices

Born an addict?

Old 05-06-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Born an addict?

Is it possible? I don't mean as in neonatal addiction via Mom, I mean just plain always have to have an addiction?

I sucked my thumb until I was about 12 shortly after that I took up smoking cigarettes, then drank alcohol (in a sneaking, hiding way as I was so young and my parents didn't drink) but didn't consider it a good day unless I got at least partially drunk everyday!

I had sex (with more than one boyfriend) and I got pregnant at 15. I cleaned up good though and had a healthy baby at 16. Shortly after that I had surgery and became almost immediately addicted to pain-killers - up until 3 years ago. That's an almost 30 year addiction and a whole lifetime of some addiction or another.

I still have an addiction to cigarettes (quiting for the longest period at one time for 2 years) But not having the oxy, makes me want to smoke even more now.

What made me need to suck my thumb in the first place?!

...Ruby...
Old 05-06-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I wouldn't worry about the why's too much Ruby. There are a million answers, and few who agree on all of them. What's important is where you are now and what you want to accomplish with your program.

Seriously, think about it; they could say addictive personality, obsessive compulsive disorder, Freudian oral fixation, social learning & peer pressure, impulse control issues.....the whole gambet. Then you will have others that point out we are addicted to air and water (withdrawl from those can be killer, get it? hahahah). It never ends.

...and don't worry about sucking your thumb until 12; its not like you were setting fires or something! Just focus on where you are today; don't get lost in the endless speculations of academia.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I've wondered, too, RubyRose. Maybe some day scientific research will be able to pinpoint the "whys" and we'll have more tools in the box to prevent addiction and even successfully treat addiction for all kinds of people--I hope that some day other human beings won't ever have to go through what we go (and went) through.

Until then, I just do what I can to stay sober.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think there may be truth in linking addiction and genetics, but at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter. All that matters is what drugs and alcohol make you do. Since substances make me do stupid things that I regret, I don't drink or use anymore.