Notices

What is the definition for a Recovering addict

Old 05-04-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is the definition for a Recovering addict

COCAINE addiction.
Hi, Hope you doing really great.
My wife says that she is now a recovering addict. I don't know what that means and cant find the meaning. Please help because things don't seem to be getting better.What does this means?
Old 05-04-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not again

Wow, that's a can of worms....
A recovering addict is a lazy sober person if you ask me, but that's really not the piont here. (But certainly is a topic of discussion in my life lately, i refer to the eternally recovering)

Anyway, if she is claiming to be recovering, the first thing she needs to do is stop using, but by no means is that the last reqiurement. I can assure you if she only stops, she will start again. Change must happen, and i mean big time. It won't be easy, it won't be qiuck, but as it continues life will become wonderous. There is no way YOU can force or convince her to do anything, the choice must be hers. i do appretiate the concern you have shown by coming and wish you all the best.
This recoverED crackhead knows the struggles and wishes the both of you all the best.

Regards,
Larry
Old 05-04-2012, 08:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If your wife has realized that she cannot go on living the way she has been, then she has taken the first step in recovery. Like Larry said though, there are many other things that need to be cleaned up in the addicts life. Much of that takes time, time, time. If there is continued willingness on her part and patience on your part, my magic 8 ball says "outlook good". All the best to you and your wife.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Recovering addict is a addict who no longer uses. Or has a will to stay clean. Anyone who has a will to stay clean and does not pick back up is a recovering addict 1 day at a time. By grace we are free from active addiction.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

To me a "recovering addict" is someone who has stopped using their drug of choice and wants to maintain a clean life. This could be someone who is clean for 1 day or 3 years.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I still call myself a "recovering addict" and I have not used in almost 3 years. Maybe I am "recovered", but just maybe, I'm not. I'm not sure of what I may be capable of when it comes to Oxycontin. I think I am "in maintenance" of my addiction but the addict in me will always be in me.

I feel strong and happy but I never let my guard down, just in case!

...Ruby...
Old 05-06-2012, 11:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

For members in NA it means they are working that recovery program.
I sure hope she is doing NA ..

All my best to both of you...
Old 06-08-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much.. Sorry for the late reply as you can imagine times are rough but really thank you all! Will chat to you guys at some stage but right now I just cant find it in me. Just trying to box myself in and get through each day. Will give details in the future
Old 06-10-2012, 02:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

how is it going?
Old 06-10-2012, 11:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I made a stand on the 8th of last month as I have before and that was my last straw even though all my others were too. It seems to be working this time but I am not going to say so because the battle is not won yet. I am reflecting on the past and after the 8th I really cant see myself having a future with my wife anymore. Its sad and I do try but we have so many other problems that I have but aside for such a long time and everything is just piling up. I cant remember a happy moment in my life. She drinks about twice a week now (two bottles of wine.) which she says helps her to get through it. I think it is too late and the marriage is over. She has made it through so far but the rest of our marriage is crumbling. The more I reflect back on the past and the present I know I deserve more and i am so unhappy. I dont put it on her and I support her with everything i have in me but I cant go on like this anymore almost 4 years is enough and there is no positive to look back on
Old 06-10-2012, 11:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm sorry that you have to go through this. have you thought of al anon?