Notices

Are Addicts Real Criminals?

Old 05-01-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Are Addicts Real Criminals?

I was wondering if people here at SR view addicts as criminals??I've been sober/clean since Sept. & think that I had "criminal mentality" since I was born. I always found ways to steal from various jobs before I ever picked up a drink/drug. I thought it was my right to steal & thats what everyone did. I use to think that addicts all needed to be given the chance at treatment before being incarcerated. But now I'm not so sure. Society is frightened by the drug addict & now that I've been clean for a bit I see why. Of course, not all addicts resort to crimes. But for those that do, I think being sent to jail/prison may open the addicts eyes in a different way than just a 28day or halfway house type sentence.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Addicts and criminals are two different things.......

1 is an addict, 1 is a criminal.

We come from all walks of life, and I would never consider someone addicted to a substance a crimnal.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Atom, but the fact that addicts buy illegal drugs is criminal. Years ago I was seriously shocked when the police stopped me in a drug infested neighborhood in Chicago. I believed that because I was a alcohol & addict that the rules of society didn't apply to me.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

my peersonal exp i think they are two way different things ive been both i used to be a criminal way before i was addicted to any drug i used to rob drug dealers for sport and also sold crack for a living i went to prison for a five year sentence for dicharging a afirearm and served out never been in trouble since. i dont cinsider myself a criminal in anyway shape or form now i got out at 23 had children and not have committed any mojor crimes[other than coping] since here within the past year ive got addicted to snorting herion i know im an addict but i also know im not a criminal no more i overcame that part of my life now its time to overcome this i have one day clean at my 6th attempt to go through wd i have to do it this time
Old 05-01-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thing is we can't really speak for anyone but ourselves. There are a lot of the same defects of character in addicts. Even before using. Entitlement, manipulation, selfcenterdness..... all like a criminal mind. I had all of these before I picked up my first drink. The good news is, I don't have to live like that anymore. I work a program that as soon as one of these characteristics pop up (and it's daily) I know how to counteract it. I believe this is why they call it "getting well". I had to reprogram A LOT of what thinking process comes natural for me. You are being very honest and this is a good thing. Telling on yourself and reveiling the things that are uncomfortable is very important in an addicts recovery!