Notices

recovering addict coming off oxy after surgery

Old 04-30-2012, 09:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

recovering addict coming off oxy after surgery

Hi Guys,
i've been coming to NA since 1999 and have had periods of unbroken recovery the longest being 5 years. i have been clean from my drug of choice for almost 1 year again now.
I have had surgery a few times in the last year and the most recent was 2 weeks ago.i was on endone for a few days and then swapped to oxycontin for the pain but now am ready to come off, i have been taking up to 90mg per day but mostly i take about 60 mg. I was always curious about shooting it and never had, so decided to try it about 5 days ago and man it is SO ADDICTIVE!! I want to stop now and have discussed with the doctor a crude reduction regime (i didn't tell him i was injecting it). Does anyone have any experience doing this ? I have some valium to help me sleep etc. Do you think its better in your experience to go cold or reduce slowly bearing in mind that i am a recovering addict and having a substance in my body kind of prolongs the pain some times i think.
Any ideas guys?
Old 05-02-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

a 3-5 day taper is good but 99% of people can't deal with it. THe urge to use during the taper is generally too much. Say you have 15 pills to do a taper. Mist will go through the in 1/3 the time and then freak out when the W/D comes along. The anxiety and fear of W/D usually trumps Slow taper.
THerefore, If you can't taper - you must go CT.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IvanKatz View Post
a 3-5 day taper is good but 99% of people can't deal with it. THe urge to use during the taper is generally too much. Say you have 15 pills to do a taper. Mist will go through the in 1/3 the time and then freak out when the W/D comes along. The anxiety and fear of W/D usually trumps Slow taper.
THerefore, If you can't taper - you must go CT.
Very Very True, i'm living it.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was an IV user and yeah...taper if you can. You have to be real strong. If not then cold turkey it. The valium will help with your withdrawal but be careful abusing that too. I would only use that the first 4 days and then come off it too.

Good luck.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I know nothing about shooting pain meds...but I did taper after a broken arm
last fall. It took me about 3 days and was no big deal...no withdrawals.

However...alcohol was my DOC and I have never abused any medication.

Welcome and I wish you well....