Notices

Oh the Irony-Talk about real pain

Old 04-25-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Oh the Irony-Talk about real pain

I have been clean off of opiates and all pills for about four months. Life is starting to go really good. However, I find it ironic that I abused pain pills for 12 years when I never really had legitimate pain. I would make up pains alot-and I think alot of it was in my head. Well, about 3 weeks ago-I fell and hurt my arm. I can't straighten it and have severe pain when I lift it or use it in any capacity. My MRI showed that I have a severe tendon tear in my left arm (I am left handed) I am probably going to have to have surgery. On top of that, I started a new job a few weeks ago and have been totally playing it off like it's nothing. The doctor tried to prescribe me pain meds, but I knew I couldn't go there. The pain of addiction is worse than this physical pain. So after abusing pain pills for over a decade, making up pains and reasons I needed them-I now have legitimate pain.-So it looks like just Advil for me. It's starting to get me down, because I have to keep a happy face on all day and have pain every moment of the day. Just need a little encouragement!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

I say you are doing well! Keep staying as strong as you are. You will heal, in time, and you will KNOW you made the best choice possible!
Old 04-25-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow, I admire your resolve. Great work. I'm sure you know this but if you take pain pills legitimately as prescribed by your doctor, even NA is ok w/ that. You shouldn't have to suffer in terrible pain. What does your doctor say?
Old 04-26-2012, 02:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Is there someone who could hold your pills for you? Have you told your doc that you are in recovery? Maybe they could prescribe very small amounts at a time for you.

There is no reason to suffer. Hope you feel better soon Praying for you.

~Pandie
Old 04-26-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, I am too scared to take anything narcotic for the pain. I relapsed everytime after each C section I had. The doctor would prescribe them the right way-but it set something off in my brain. I was addicted instantly-All three times. I am getting more testing done tommorrow-I just hope they can fix me soon!
Old 04-28-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry about the pain but you will make it and be glad you stayed strong. 2 broken fingers about 6 weeks ago and nothing but Advil. I know that is not as painful as what you are going through but I had the same thoughts as you are having.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Has your dr considered giving you low dose of long acting/extended release pain meds? They can help with the pain without giving you much euphoria (if any.) Most are abuse proof now too.... Maybe try that.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think trying to tough it out with only advil is the best way to go! I feel just like you, and know that I can not take them for any reason, or I will go right back to where I was at. That is awesome that got a new job, and you are doing good, Minus the pain of course. you are strong, you will get through this I know you will! My back has been bothering me like crazy, but I only take ibuprofen. Not that I have anything else at home anyways. Stay strong!