Notices

Needing advice, upcoming surgery...

Old 04-04-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Needing advice, upcoming surgery...

I found out last week that I have to have surgery in June so I'm going to try to give my body a "narcotic holiday" and get them out of my system b/f I go in to surgery. I know I will need them after that for at least a week.

Over the past 18 months I've lost 125 lbs and have a lot of loose skin, so I'm having that removed. My surgeon said the majority of patients are on pain meds for about 3 weeks . I'll be in the hospital for 3-4 days and have to be off work for 2 weeks. The great thing about getting this excess skin removed is that it should help with my hip pain .

I'm going to try to be proactive even with my surgeon. I'm trying to get up the courage to tell him that I don't want him to give me any refills on whatever he sends me home with for pain. What's scary, and sad, is I think I've completely lost the ability to know when I need to take something for pain, and when my brain is just trying to convince me that I need something for pain.

I feel very blessed for all of you who are here to guide and advise me. I know with yall, I can do anything. Thanks so much!

~Pandie
Old 04-06-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Old 04-06-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I had my hysterectomy last year I had somebody else hold my pills for me. They gave them to me when it was time for another dose. Hope that helps you.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Let me give you a real reason to quit prior to surgery. Two years ago I had surgery while taking 60mg a day of oxy. After my surgery, I had a complication... My bowels never woke up and two days later I went back to the hospital ER with a gastric illiius that nearly killed me. Because of the narcs and anesthetics,,, My gastric organs never woke up and filled dangerously with bile and fluids that could not escape. My stomach nearly ruptured, If it had... I would have bled out in minutes with no hope of survival. I was hours from certain death. By the grace of God, I survived.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am not exaggerating the event that nearly ended my life... It was because I was using narcotic pain killers combined with surgical narcs that caused my stomach and intestines to simply not wake up. I cannot emphasize that you need to be clean a MINIMUM of 2-3 weeks prior to that surgery.
I am also not exagering when I say I was hours from death.
Take this to heart dear! I speak from experience!
I thank God every day I was not taken from my wife. Life sucks at times but I know I would endure a special place in hell if I died as a result of my desire to stay high over being there for my wife. Never mind I would've spent eternity know my wife would've likely remarried afterward....
Old 04-06-2012, 07:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you haven't been already, I think you absolutely need to be very honest and open with your Drs pandie - it reallly is your best interests they know everything.

D
Old 04-06-2012, 08:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Very good to be off meds before surgery. I had a tummy tuck and it was horrible pain. This was before I had a problem. I was taking about 30mg Percocet for about 2-3 weeks
Old 04-07-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. . I'm going to see him in a couple of weeks to talk more about the surgery and will discuss how to deal with post op pain with him at that time.