Notices

Helping with chills?

Old 03-01-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I Am Burning ; I Will Rise

Helping with chills?

For me, one of the most uncomfortable parts of detoxing is the constant "chills" experienced. It seems that's the thing that is always making me feel crappy....hands and fingers, feet and toes, back of the neck and down the spine no matter how many warm layers are on. I pretty much am absolved of withdrawl symptoms if I'm in a hot shower though, and I wonder if it's just the heat sensation sort of confusing my skin into not feeling the creepy crawlies or what. But I'm curious if anyone has learned of any tricks to help minimize the "chills" feeling, besides hot showers and warm clothes that is Maybe a supplement or something? Maybe nothing? Thanks anyone.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think you answered your own question. Hot showers. That's the only thing that worked for me.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wore a winter hat for same problem. It helped me a lot.
For me it was frozen feet. I could wear the warmest socks yet couldn't
unfreeze them. Then I put the hat on...worked wonders!
Old 03-01-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Aarrgggh! I feel like the hot showers are the only thing that helps, sometimes I go to the bathroom several times in a row just to thaw my hands under hot water at work. As for the hat, welp, it wouldn't hurt here in Buffalo I'm sure, but my hair is like a foot and a half long, it does a pretty decent job of blocking the wind out of my neck and face.....sometimes. Hopefully they will be gone in another few days anyway. It's not as bad today as yesterday, but still uncomfortable. I've only been able to sleep 2-3 hours a night, so I'm wondering if some of my symptoms are just the lack of sleep also, not only the w/d.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

lack of sleep can bring on too many to list problems.
Our weather in these here hills don't help. ;-)
Honestly, I just took it all in stride - "can't feel toes? Fingers numb? damn this detox!"
I did the hand washing thing too.....or as you said, just hold hands under warm water.
Or submerge in hot baths....only my nose peeping out.
It does go away. If nothing else I had complete faith in it only being a matter of time.
Amen to that!
Old 03-01-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hot soup and hot tea also help warm up the body some. I took the hottest baths I could stand during w/d. Sometimes 2 or 3 a night. Remember quickly drying off, putting on all layers, socks, long underwear, etc. and quickly getting into bed to enjoy the relief while it lasted. Helped me at least fall off to sleep several times, only to awake and get back in the tub again. It does get better; you just have to live and work through it!
Welcome to SR, SDB.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm considering switching to baths to soak in the heat versus taking showers....sometimes I'm in there for 30-45min just standing in the heat anyway, baths make more sense. I used to drink a lot of tea....until I started opiates, maybe now is the time to start making homemade tisanes, should help with some of the vitamins and antioxidants in them. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Having a little space heater in the bathroom might help, too. I know when my AS was going through WD's, he always sat huddled around a space heater with his robe and a blanket draped over him. I was like a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs, afraid he was going to catch himself and/or the blanket on fire! So if you use a space heater in the bathroom, please remember to turn it off. Don't want to hear on the news about a space heater fire in Buffalo!
Old 03-01-2012, 10:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ah...the chills...hated them! Chilled to the bones, it just plain hurt. Wearing multiple layers of clothes that were then drenched with sweat.

Tons of hot baths and showers...proabaly 10-15 per day...just to relax and also to try to stay warm. Then the sweat again...Vicious cycle. Do what you need to do.
Laundry can be done when you are awake and ready to do it.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

oh yes, the hot and cold flashes and the sweating... UGH! never comfortable, on and off, so annoying. I found that space heaters, heating pads, clothing layers, hot baths/showers, electric blanket, sipping (or just holding) mugs of hot tea or chicken broth and those little instant heat packets people use when camping or hunting were my best friends for chills, along with a tub of baby wipes for the buckets of sweat so I could wipe myself down to cool off and not feel all sticky and icky all the time, especially when I was feeling too sick or weak to crawl to the shower or tub to deal with it that way so yes, do what you need to to manage and eventually you'll get through it.

If you have someone around (or can come over) to help with laundry that helps. I didn't have the energy to bother with it at first and when I was sweating through stuff left and right, the best things in the world were a pile of comfy clean clothes and sheets available when I needed it.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

@NoWhereGirl I mostly am just over-hot when I'm trying to sleep. Morning til night though is like one long freezing test....the goosebumps make my skin ache after hours and hours. I'm ok at the moment I just realized Maybe because I was cooking over the stove. And I wish so hard I had someone to come around and help with anything....but I don't. I don't have any friends close enough to me, physically or metaphorically, to help me. And my only family is 1300 miles away. Just going to have to keep dragging myself kicking and screaming through it. Thanks for the tips...I didn't even think of Hot-hands...those little packs are useful, getting some tomorrow for sure.