Notices

Question about RLS

Old 02-15-2012, 06:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about RLS

Is this syndrome something that mainly starts occurring after Detox?? I've read many threads where people mention it and I haven't been able to ascertain when/if it will occur badly with me.

I believe I may have had a few minor twitches in the last couple days, but nothing like many here describe. I'm currently on day 5+ of withdrawal/Detox and feel I'm starting to "turn the corner." But except for the few minor twitches and pain pinpricks I've felt, I don't believe I've experienced what everyone describes RLS to be.

Is this something that might start up in a couple more days, in others' experiences?

Thanks
Old 02-15-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have battled rls the entire way of my recovery. It started at day 1, and STILL hasnt stopped (37 days) Its definitely not as bad as it was, but its still noticeable. I know that from reading the threads everyone is different in their symptoms. Maybe you wont get it, maybe its all in my head too i dunno. But i hope you dont have to deal with it!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In my experience, RLS is super common with W/D! Especially the first few nights and even days. THis can be addressed party with nutrition. You need potassium, magnesium, and protein. I suggest eggs and bananas. Both of which can be eaten when you don't feel like eating!
Also, the best thing you can do for yourself is SEE A DOCTOR! Tell then your done with pain meds and they will write likely you scripts for meds that will help you through this.
The biggest thing I can tell you is doing this C/T is Stupid! You need GOOD sleep! You're NOT going to do this without medical help! Without a sleep med, your days are going to be bad...
Sleep, in my experience, is key to the W/D phase. If you can get 9-10 hours of knock you butt out sleep, you may decrease your W/D time by half! You're not going to get that kind of sleep without seeing your doctor.
For most folks doing this C/T, the lack of sleep, RLS, etc simply increases your day time anxiety by 10 fold.
See a doctor!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Efftheox, thanks for your reply! It's been almost nonexistent for me, and the fact you're saying it started for you on day one definitely gives me tons of hope I won't have to deal with it!!!

Thanks so much. I'm very optimistic, because I'm feeling SO much better than I had yesterday.

IvanKatz, you seem rather strident that everyone is the same in their reactions/withdrawal/symptoms. I was merely wondering if that syndrome was something that general happens after Detox. From both of your replies that doesn't necessarily appear to be the case. Now, I'm not going to say I won't get it...after all I did feel a couple of minor twitches days ago, but nothing significant. That gives me hope for it not becoming an issue. Perhaps you're one of those that can't/couldn't go Cold Turkey w/o a Doctor's Assistance, and I don't see a problem with people doing so, but I guess it's a matter of dealing with the suffering to provide that much more influence to your brain of how you don't ever want to do this again. And to tell someone they are "NOT going to do this without a Dr's help" is really extremely negative, and potentially sets people up for failure. Making it "easier" in my mind, makes it easier to relapse, too. But that's just my opinion.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

OxyMaddened,
You have to understand that doing this all by yourself is not the best idea. Most people who do this fail. Going to see a doctor is in your best interest because only they can determine what is best for you.
Sure, everyone is different. But one thing ALWAYS remains the same - the oxy is a powerful drug that alters your brain chemistry. It makes you do things that non addicts cannot comprehend. I've been through the roller coaster long enough to know what works and what doesn't.
The last thing I don't want for you is to have you make a ton of wonderful posts only to come back in 60 days at square one. Believe me when I say the VERY best of luck to you. I sincerely hope that you are that 1% of folks who quits for good and returns to a normal life.
Let me say this, every time you go through W/D, the worse it gets! I know first hand.

BTW, I tell all new comers to see their doctors first. I do this for two reasons.
First, We cannot give medical advice!
Second, only a doctor can determine what is best for YOU!
Old 02-15-2012, 09:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for your second response. I understand your intent a little better now.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was diagnosed with RLS before my addiction. It is a neurological d/o. I definitely believe that w/d's affect the chemicals and firing neurons in the brain and I think the RLS is a side effect from that. Those opiate receptors are screaming. Hope you feel better soon.

~Pandie
Old 02-16-2012, 07:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

RLS --- ARGH!
yep - totally had it that first week...it's went away by the time I got to the 2nd week.
I knew knew knew about it but put no stock in anything other than stuff (food) that had potassium and protein. Which does help - but many of us kinda don't eat all that much the first week. bleh

In retrospect - what an idiot I was! :-D
I take a sleep aid occasionally that cause RLS terribly (worse than I had it in detoxing). Now I take 2 potassium pills early in the day. Helps tremendously. My blood pressure meds make me tend to get low potassium also- to where I bruise easy if it gets too bad. Not good.

I cannot for the life of me tell you WHY it occurs. Then again, I'm barely awake sooo...

btw - Ivan takes a firm line as that's what his ESH is. Mine is similar, yet different . We all can know everything right to do but when it comes down to personal experiences, it's...well, it's all we've got to give.

My ESH-I'd never tell my doctor not to give me pain meds. never ever. But that's because of my personal relationship with him (22 years), the reason and dose he had me on, my background with meds. If I needed help sleeping or anxiety before I stopped taking oxy, I'd of asked him for something. Sorry - I've seen way too many people kicked to the curb or red flagged by their doctors. I cannot put him in a bad position.

I feel compelled though to also say this: any doctor worth a visit does know there a clear different in dependency and addiction/abuse. A doctor should automatically know if you are taking something such as oxy/opiate/narcotic and/or benzo that the chance of dependency is pretty certain. Doctors are having a rough time in this area. I could write pages on that subject alone <--a dear pal of mine is a doctor, so I get a inside perspective along with my own voracious reading of news items/laws/etc.

When my doctor and I spoke in Jan (3 weeks after I quit the meds) he told me my back isn't going to fix itself- I was floored. Truly floored. He expected me to be on a low dose of painkillers for the rest of my life. I cannot, will not (yet?) believe I need them. He's not a pain management doc either. We don't have them in these here hills. ;-)

Anywho - so I'm doing pretty much what Ivan is - different lifestyle. Exercise, stretching, trying to help my body do what I want it to.

take care!
Old 02-16-2012, 03:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Oxymaddened.
Glad my post gave you some hope. I just want to say, though, that you shouldnt expect to never hit that part of wd. Im not saying it will happen to you, but if it does it might su** that much more since you didnt expect it. That could be really disheartening at this stage of your recovery. Its definitely good to keep a positive attitude about these things, but its also good to be realistic and expect the unexpected. If it does happen and you're not prepared to face it then it could be worse. Id say do everything you can to stay healthy, like Ivan and Angel said keep the pottassium and protein in you. Also make sure to get exercise, and soak in hot baths with some epsom salt or other muscle relaxing bath additives.

Better to be overprepared than underprepared. Good luck..... keep us posted
Old 02-16-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by efftheox View Post
Hey Oxymaddened.
Glad my post gave you some hope. I just want to say, though, that you shouldnt expect to never hit that part of wd. Im not saying it will happen to you, but if it does it might su** that much more since you didnt expect it. That could be really disheartening at this stage of your recovery. Its definitely good to keep a positive attitude about these things, but its also good to be realistic and expect the unexpected. If it does happen and you're not prepared to face it then it could be worse. Id say do everything you can to stay healthy, like Ivan and Angel said keep the pottassium and protein in you. Also make sure to get exercise, and soak in hot baths with some epsom salt or other muscle relaxing bath additives.

Better to be overprepared than underprepared. Good luck..... keep us posted
Unfortunately I don't have a bathtub. My house is a small 2/1 and when I remodeled the crumbling bath a few years ago I took it out to put in an ADA shower stall, since my BF takes care of his quadraplegic father (they both live with me). But I've been drinking protein/mineral supplements so I think that's helped.

As to exercise, I'm just too exhausted. I know I need to soon, but yesterday morning I took a quick shower, and was so weak I thought I was going to pass out just from the effort of staying on my feet that long.

The good news is if I don't count Friday night (when W/D started) I am now nearly done with day 6. I've been able to keep a piece of bread and some turkey breast in me with the help of imodium, and will try to eat some homemade beef stew tonight. My appetite appears to be coming back a tiny bit.

I really appreciate everyone's perspective and experiences, it' really been a help.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OxyMaddened View Post

As to exercise, I'm just too exhausted. I know I need to soon, but yesterday morning I took a quick shower, and was so weak I thought I was going to pass out just from the effort of staying on my feet that long.

Hi OxyMaddened,

I wouldn't push yourself to hard on the workout thing right. It took me a good 3-4 weeks before I even considered the thought. I just started working out a week and a half ago. When you get to that point in your recovery, you will know and will do it. Sometimes, I really have to push myself to get up and go. But the way I have been feeling lately has been so worth it.

Just take care of yourself the best you can. The rest will come in due time!!
Old 02-17-2012, 08:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

heyitsme,

Thanks for relating that. I won't push it then, I'll just wait 'til I think I can handle a short walk. It sure would help my strength if I could keep a decent amount of food in me. Tonight is the end of day 7, and so far I still have the little bowl of beef stew in me I ate a couple of hours ago, so I'm hopefully on
the way!

Thanks again!