Notices

I need some advice..

Old 02-14-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need some advice..

Hello peers,

I'm very new to this site. It's actually my first time coming across this place. I'll explain my situation. I'm currently 23 years old and have a wonderful life, a beautiful girlfriend and a great job. My issue is that I've been taking opiates (vicodin and percocet mostly) for quite some time. I've actually been taking them recreationally since around the age of 16-17. I don't feel addicted to them, but I also know that denial is also a factor. My main problem is that I'd like to get off of them, but now I have to take them due to some chronic pain I've fell into with my knees and back. I just had knee surgery which has made me continue to take my prescribed pain medication. The problem is that now I have to take a large amount of my narcotics to get any kind of pain relief which in turn makes me run short every month. Sometimes I find myself taking them just for recreation occasionally, which also doesn't help. Nobody knows about my problem. I've kept it to myself, but it's concerning me. I can't quit because I need them for my chronic pain, but I run out due to my high tolerance. I just don't know what to do. Taking them removes my drive to exercise, which is something that has been an extreme pleasure and hobby for me for many years. The medication is stealing my lift from me and I just need someone to talk to about it. Some people that have been there and experienced it. Any advice/help would be appreciated. Thank you very much in advanced.

-Nick
Old 02-14-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Thurston, and welcome!
This is a good place to find help, tho I am not experienced with those drugs, I will offer encouragement to you to stick around, read a lot of the "stickies" at the top of the forum page. there are great people here who will be along soon to offer their support. I wish you well!
chicory
Old 02-14-2012, 09:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you very much. I will look around for encouragement. This seems like a really helpful site. I'm glad I stumbled upon it.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Thurston
I'm glad you decided to post

have you thought about talking honestly with your Dr?

Welcome aboard
D
Old 02-14-2012, 09:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I haven't yet. I go see him Thursday (2/16/12) and I've given it some thought. I just don't want my family to know. I have a phobia when it comes to speaking with doctors. I don't know if I'm just intimidated by them or what. I feel like I need them for the pain and I'm just trying to detox myself so that I can take them properly, but that seems more troublesome than I'd originally imagined. I don't even know how I'd approach the conversation with my Doctor. :/
Old 02-15-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It sounds to me like you need to stop taking them "sometimes" recreationally (at least try) and when you see your doctor again talk to him about upping your dose. Explain that you feel you're not getting the same pain relief and the dose you're at now isnt working as well anymore. Honestly it just sounds like your tolerance is going up which is normal with pain meds and your dose needs adjustments, maybe if your dose is adjusted you wont find yourself taking them recreationally anymore. Talk to your doctor about needing the extra though, tolerance is normal and happens to everyone and if your taking your meds for legitimate pain then theres no reason to be ashamed cause your body needs more. See if upping your dose changes anything for you. Good luck!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR

I think you should be honest with your doctor. Maybe they could add in other meds like Ibuprofen or Naproxen that you could take along with the narcotics. Ask him if there are any non-narcotic, non-addictive meds you could try. Good luck, keep us posted!

~Pandie
Old 02-16-2012, 04:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Good luck Thurston. Reach out, and read other peoples threads.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thurston,

Good that you are thinking about changing up and thinking about it. I hid my addiction from everyone and blindsided them including my husband. My friends and family and are now my major support system. Also I told my doctor about my addiction so he knows to be careful about what to give me and now much.

I am extremely afraid of having to have surgery someday and getting stuck in the oh, I need to take a few more and then going back into full blown addiction. One thing that I absolutely love about being sober....I never realized what a fog I was living in until I became sober. The clarity of my thinking and judgement is awesome. Plus I feel 80% physically better. Yeah, I have aches and pains cause I am getting older but I just try to suck it up and deal with it. I DO NOT have chronic pain so I cannot speak from experience on that situation.

Honestly, if you think you should quit or are even thinking about it...then it is probably time. Someone is looking out for you. I would talk to my doctor about tapering if that is possible for you. I think it would help with your chronic pain issues also rather than just quiting cold turkey. You will need to feel out how you feel. This can be a successful journey!. This forum is filled with sucessess. It can be done.

Good luck and keep posting!
Old 02-17-2012, 10:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello Thurston

Read through the threads. Much you can learn from what has already been said.
From your post I'm not sure if your wanting to quit or up your dosage?