Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

did anybody else feel like this around 8-9 months?

Notices

Old 01-27-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bored

Uninterested in anything

Feeling of not knowing yourself, your interests, friends, etc.

I was feeling a lot better, still a little social anxiety but that gets better day by day so I'm still confident that will go away.

How do I get out of this rut?
Old 01-27-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i'm 7 months feeling a bit of it but I think it's my mind trying to trick me. Keeping busy with my puppy helps. Hang in, hang on just don't hang up
Old 01-27-2012, 07:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Yes, I am feeling very much that way. And people in my life tend to say "oh, soon you'll be back to your old self" and I feel like...I don't even know that person I was, I don't want to go back and I have no clue what forward looks like. I feel pretty stupid.

I'm 46 with NO idea what I want to do or be when I grow up. So I've decided I want to be clean, and see what that feels like. I am trusting that the rest will fall into place if I keep a sense of humor about it.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know exactly how you feel! I will have 8 months tomorrow, and have been thinking the exact same thing. Figuring out what to do sober has been a challenge for me.

Wish you the best of luck!
Old 01-27-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ans

Yes I felt like that too around 8-9 months.. It was hard to get through. I found a few new hobbies to keep busy. That helped me a lot. I also talked to some sober friends who had more clean time and they related as well and supported me thought it. At 1.5 years clean I still have major social anxiety. I struggled with it before I started using and is one reason I like being high, the anxiety went away.. Just keep telling yourself this too shall pass and it will!
Old 01-27-2012, 09:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi JohnR - I remember the same feelings that you are going through. My life had taken a BIG turn and I needed to learn how to actually live it clean.

Nothing I did felt the same as it had before (when I was using). I found that recovery is a slow process, I've been clean now 2.7 years and it probably took me close to a year before I felt my life start to take off and I started to really enjoy myself.

Knowing what 'normal' feels like is alien to our bodies. Our body and brains have to realign and in time your brain and body will start to get on the same page!

Nine months is a super achievement! Be proud of yourself for every day you DON'T use. It only gets better!

...Ruby...
Old 01-28-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

First, congratulations on your sobriety. That's the most important thing.

To be honest, at this point, it's likely that any improvement in your life, happiness, health (physical, emotional, mental, spiritual), will come from action that you take rather than expecting things to just improve the longer you stay sober (though they may).

It's not really my place to tell you what those things are, but if I were you I would spend some time making a list of things that you used to be interested in and also things you could do to make you feel good about yourself. There are many things you could be doing. Also, try to get outside yourself a bit and more interested in others.

If you're unable to take action yourself and really get off the ground and engaged in life, or you are suffering from persistent depression or anxiety, that's not normal and you should get some help.

All the best
Old 01-28-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have similar feeling, especially regarding my friends - it just appears that I have nothing to say to them anymore. It feels strange as they are people who I did not use with.

My lifestyle change (no drugs) has forced me to make changes and I taken up new interests and re-started some onld ones - cycling, rock climbing, visiting museums. I am also using these activities to try and meet new people.

I found that if you try new activities you will eventually find something that you enjoy and this has helped to improve my life.

Stride34 makes some good points and this is exactly what I am trying.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey there everyone.....I relapsed at about 10 months sober because of these feelings. I let that crap get back into my head and just to let you know...it didn't work out for me so don't do it!

Make sure you keep your everyday sucessess. I will never be a recreational user. The drugs consummed me and my thoughts.

Stride did have a good idea. Find things to do in the community. There are things out there for everyone. Get into cooking, sports, go to the mall just to walk and look to kill time, read books, go to the book store and read them, shop a real live music store, join a health club, just find SOMETHING TO DO, learn how to play an instrument, learn how to knit, buy some cheap video games, there are thousands of ideas.

I bought a book about bucket lists and some of the things in there are just simple things to help enjoy life....like eat a triple dip ice cream cone...who doesn't want to do that?

So, this time around I am going to take my own advice and NOT relapse and find something great to do with my time.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Yes I did at 9 months. and then again at 1 year 2 months. At 1 years 6 months kinda blazola but okay. Figure the mood swings will happy ever so often. Better off sober though.